Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This is not justice. It's a Sentence concocted by a system run by people that individually could never hope to rise to the level of his achievements [[some of them crooked - his achievements, and theirs) and revel in vindictively taking the rest of his life for their own puritanical beliefs of what is right [[they not having been caught yet). He could have been "destroyed" without incarceration and destroying his family. He should have been sentenced to a short prison term followed by a life relegated to menial work but at least be free. The length of the Sentence is disgusting. and does not fit the crime. I always feel dirty to be a part of this system.
    Last edited by coracle; October-10-13 at 05:22 PM.

...and add to his cost to society the amount of money spent over the last many years to convict him, not to mention the cost of incarceration...over $1 million for these 28 years.

Kwame was made an example of and rightfully so. I have no sympathy for him especially after his arrogance to the court and playing stupid that he couldn't pay $200 a month or whatever he owed and drove an Escalade and lived in a McMansion. I'd rather have my freedom than an Escalade.

I really hope that he gets transferred to Texas- where the summer is so hot. Maybe his trashy mother and father and his trashy sister Ayanna and her thug husband Daniel and trashy Marsha and Marvel and all the trashy, greedy cousins that lost their cushy City Hall jobs, and his greedy-boots wife that used her position to lord it over people to impress her "sorors" with her success in this poor, poor city- I hope they alll migrate southward and forget about how much they "loved" Detroit.
    I have such a sense of disgust even to hear their names. Low. Low. Really the definition of scum. It is to be hoped that Michigan will never have to contribute another dime to that degenerate tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I wonder what he'll do when he gets out. I know it's decades off, but he'll be old, unhirable, and still deeply in debt to ordered restitution payments. I am sure the missus will file for divorce. He will live in poverty in his post-prison years. And to think of the promise he once held...
    You forget the pot of gold he has stashed that no one has been able to find so far.

He'll be fine, living overseas somewhere

I can't believe there are people here saying the sentence was too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You forget the pot of gold he has stashed that no one has been able to find so far.

He'll be fine, living overseas somewhere
    BINGO.... with all the money that was being laundered he has to have some major money [[likely precious metals) stashed away somewhere... especially as things were going south after the texting scandal was revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I can't believe there are people here saying the sentence was too long.
    It's funny how people were complaining that he would "get away with it"... and now that he's not... they're complaining that it's too harsh?? WTF?? Now granted 15 years would have sufficed... but when you violate the public trust... there are consequences... and should be!

Kwame messed up when he didn't work out a plea deal. Nobody in their right mind goes to trial with this many counts and this much evidence against him. He gambled that he would at least get a mistrial and then the pressure on the feds to make a deal more to his liking would be much greater.

This was an extremely expensive case to try; it tied up a lot of personnel and resources. The sheer volume of criminality and evidence is staggering. A re-trial with the possibility of yet another mistrial would have been daunting and demoralizing for the feds. To quote Claude Rains' mother in "Notorious", Kwame would have been "protected by the enormity of his stupidity" or in this case, criminality.

He created an all or nothing situation and then rolled the dice. And lost all.

I do feel badly for his sons. I hope that this will act as a deterrent for politicians in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cassidy View Post
    You only get 25 years for murder. This is over the top. Throw him to the lions while the people cheer and forget their problems for a while.

Agreed. Unless conspiracy to murder or some serious roughing up of people are involved, this seems over the top.

I still think he had something to to with Tamara Greens death. Aka Strawberry

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    This is not justice. It's a Sentence concocted by a system run by people...
    Mr. Mayor, I didn't realize you had internet access in there!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    I still think he had something to to with Tamara Greens death. Aka Strawberry
    Ya think?! And his wife still has blood on her hands...or their son's Louisville Slugger.

Good riddance.

I agree with MikeyinBrooklyn, though. He said it best.

There is justice here, but no pleasure.
    Sincerely,
    John

If anything, his sentence is too light.

IL Governor Ryan got 5 years on 22 counts. I'm sure he got a break because of his age and health.

IL Governor Blagojevich got 14 years.

Neither of their crimes were anywhere near the scale and scope of King Kwame' and his band of Merry Men, the Kwamiettes. He should have gotten 50 years.

He acted like child, brought our city down, he took what was not his but 28 years seems a bit excessive. Will 28 years bring back anything? I voted for him twice and regret it now that I see what he has done but putting him in hell for 28 years is too much. If our correctional institutions really cared about the well being of society they would be locking up violent criminals and giving counsel to be judged again, If they are non violent criminals they should be controlled and counseled. Prison is not a big of deterrent as you may think, the death penalty has proven time and time again it deters no one. Our prison system has become a tool for us to cheer on those that have fucked up and will sit in a cage for our own quick satisfaction but will done nothing to improve them once released but leave them broken. Our penal system is out of control with no real modern solutions or even ideas on how to make a better society.

Now the rich are making money by putting ppl behind bars with privatized prisons. Putting ppl behind bars is now a career option and Im not talking about being a cop.

With all due respect to Django and others who make similar points, I must make the point that honest analysis of our justice & prison systems is not relevant as to whether Kwame Kilpatrick has received a fair sentence. Privatization of prison services may or may not be a good idea [[I have opinions on that, but will spare them from this thread), but failings in our systems do not merit a longer or shorter sentence for the former mayor. I frankly feel, in light of his extensive and long-running crimes, and his attempts to cover them up, he merits a very long sentence. I would be willing to be somewhat lenient if there was a one-time, unplanned crime. That is absolutely not the situation here. I hope for his sake that the time goes by quickly, and I hope he emerges a changed man. Thus far, he has not demonstrated remorse, except slightly at sentencing.

I agree that prison isn't as effective as a deterrent as we would wish it to be. Certainly, impulsive adolescent males in particular seem quite resistant to restraining behavior based on the possibility of punishment.

But most white-collar or middle class adults dread the idea of prison. This is not viewed as a resume enhancement. It's part of the reason they readily plea or agree to cooperate. Twenty-eight years means being locked away for a generation. The world will have changed when Kwame gets out. This is a huge statement to politicians and will echo throughout the political class here for decades.

Are you listening Ficano?

24 felonies. Federal crimes.

On top of 5 State felonies.

I feel conflicted. Kwame seemed charming and engaging, but he really was a soulless manipulator with a borderline psychotic disorder of either organic or acculturated origins.

What could he have been IF ....

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Hedge fund billionaire Raj Rajaratnam got only 11 years in 2011 for the longest insider trading sentence ever handed down. He had made untold tens of millions of dollars through his blatant criminality.
    Insider trading is, basically, knowing too much while trading stocks. Raj got 11 years for knowing too much about companies while trading their stock. He probably cost some investment banks and hedge funds a percentage point or two of profit off of a few of their stock trades.

Kilpatrick was found guilty of extortion, racketeering, tax evasion, fraud, etc... all directly at the public's expense.

The sentencing discrepancy is fully justified.

Didn't know that Carmen Slowski was in court today.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Will 28 years bring back anything?
    No.

Will putting people in prison for murder bring back anything? No.

It's about justice. It's about knowing that if someone does a bad thing, they get punished. If someone does a really bad thing, the get punished severely. If someone does a large group of bad things at the expense of hundreds of thousands of people and exploits the democracy that our country depends on, then they get 28 years the penitentiary.

I knew he was in trouble today when he addressed the court and requested a lenient sentence because the 28 years requested by the US Atty would delay his "come back" for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

It's about justice. It's about knowing that if someone does a bad thing, they get punished.
    I dont agree. Punishment by putting ppl in prison has done nothing to deter.We have more ppl in prison here than any other country, 25% of the worlds prisoners yet we are only 5% of the worlds population. I would think that we have grown up enough to stop locking ppl up with these long sentences. Maybe Im wrong and KK deserves 28 yrs but it does no one any good by just throwing away the key except to make vengeful ppl feel better. KK could use a psychologist more than he could use a jail cell for all 28 years. I just think we need to look into different methods instead of just putting them in cages. Putting a bunch of sick ppl in a cage seems barbaric to me the American prison system has become a sort of hell. Most who have been to prison just come out a schooled criminal. I think its time to start looking for a change.

What to expect in the federal court for Kwame's fate?

15 years, 360 days to life or a slap on the wrist! No just 28 years in Club Fed. Oh how is he falling from power and to be put into the pit for his pride. Kwame will be in Club Fed until 2041 long pass his retirement. In a matter of fact he did retire for politics very early. Kwame destroy his reputation, the people of the City of Detroit and his friends and family. His has all the time in prison to think about what he has done.

Kwame Kilpatrick, I will give this message. 'There is way out of Hell! GET SAVED AND BE BAPTISED fast. Then you will be free from prison of sin.'

May God have mercy on your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Insider trading is, basically, knowing too much while trading stocks. Raj got 11 years for knowing too much about companies while trading their stock. He probably cost some investment banks and hedge funds a percentage point or two of profit off of a few of their stock trades.

Kilpatrick was found guilty of extortion, racketeering, tax evasion, fraud, etc... all directly at the public's expense.

The sentencing discrepancy is fully justified.
    As an elected offical Kilpatrick put himself on a different level than Raj. Kilpatrick has been found guilty on different charges and he betrayed the the people who voted him into office.

besides, it isn't really over, there is always the appeals process, more of the taxpayers money.

lily

Oh well, that sucks for Kwame. I do feel sorry for the kids though, as they shouldn't have to deal with this drama.

You don't put the feds through a 10-year investigation, require 24 criminals turned state witness, deny the allegations the entire time, take it all the way through trial, and then complain that the sentence is too long.

For those of you who think his sentence should be less...or if you think Ferguson should be serving the same time as he is...then blame Kwame.

Had he come clean on all of this, he could have worked a plea deal out and cut his sentence to 10-15 years. But no, he had to arrogantly delude himself and try to delude others and roll the dice with a full out jury trial.

Well, he gambled, doubled down, gambled again, and lost. I'm actually very sad about the whole thing. I never want to see someone suffer like this. But his actions not only harmed the city from the money stolen. His actions harmed the city from the business who lost trust in bidding on contracts. And he set the tone in government that corruption was justifiable at the expense of the services to the citizens.

In the Water Department.
    In the Library System.
    In Detroit Public Schools.
    In the Pension Trustees.

The culture has been poisoned, and I'd put the net effect of his criminal enterprise at way beyond $10MM. It's in the hundreds of millions and maybe even a billion.

And that's just with the stuff we saw. Who KNOWS how much we didn't see.

Kwame, I believed in you. I supported you in the first election. But now it's time to face some hard truths.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast