Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Well, Mikey, if a felon does not "wriggle and turn" and fight the conviction, but says to the judge "I am guilty and throw myself at the mercy of the court", he does not force the state into a long trial and use up state resources. This should certainly be a factor in sentencing. Kwame didn't do this, but tried every subterfuge possible to avoid being found guilty. Throw the book at him.
    Agreed, Hermod. Although this might be most effectively done upfront when determining what/how many charges to file.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Nah, the only prison fights where someone might even die in federal prisons happen between mexican/spanish/latin factions. Its very rare for black gangs/groups in federal prison to be involved in riots and huge fights, if they do its usually region against region [[midwest vs eastcoast vs downsouth vs DC vs westcoast)
    Looking at security levels if Kwame ends up as an minimum security inmate or low security inmate he could end up at a camp type environment with dormitory style housing. Anyway that's a long way from the "don't drop the soap" environment that folks think he might end up.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Looking at security levels if Kwame ends up as an minimum security inmate or low security inmate he could end up at a camp type environment with dormitory style housing. Anyway that's a long way from the "don't drop the soap" environment that folks think he might end up.
    Kwame will be in a medium for awhile because of the time he has, you have be done with a certain amount if your sentence before you're eligible for low security clearance and after his points drop. Kwame might be eligible for camp status somewhere around 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Agreed, Hermod. Although this might be most effectively done upfront when determining what/how many charges to file.
    Based on what the judge presiding over the case sentenced Bobby and Kwame to I'm almost certain had they taken a plea deal they would not have received more than 10 years. She choose not to go above and beyond, which she could have but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Django, assuming your numbers are accurate, should non-violent people not be eligible for prison? Most crimes committed [[thankfully?) are not directly violent.

I would also be curious for you to make of list of similarities between our justice system and slavery. I have to say I cannot imagine any way in which they are similar. I can wrap my brain around jail; I cannot wrap it around slavery. Please list how they are similar.
    The numbers are well known, America has made itself known as the number one in imprisoning its citizens. Im not saying non violent offenders should not be punished but at the rate we are putting ppl behind bars I think it would be smart to look at alternatives.

Similarities with slavery would be making a gain off of putting someone in chains or bars as todays case is. We have approx 60% of inmates in for non violent drug offenses. If you remember back in the mid 80s we had only three quarters of a million prisoners until Reagan took office and planted a zero tolerance policy on drugs, mandatory minimums followed as well as long sentencing guidelines for crack cocaine [[crack contains baking soda powder does not) which has been inserted into every inner city. We never really had enough cells since then.
    Along comes some genius who figures he can make a asston of cash by building prisons and contracting them out to the government and taxpayers. Mind you the companies that run and own these private prisons have a contract saying that WE have to pay for keeping that prison at 95% capacity no matter what. So now we have privatized prisons and the companies are thinking how they can make even more money off of locking ppl up. They start work programs that pay each prisoner $1 a day or so so he can buy a Snickers bar. Huge companies like Victorias Secret and big travel agents use the prisoners for their profit by putting them to work. Locking people up has become a business just like slavery is. The drug war is the main instigator no doubt as we now have 2.2 million people behind bars.
    It is sick and wrong to make money off of locking ppl up. No doubt theres big stocks in California Governor Jerry Browns portfolio now that he is in the pocket of CCA and other companies running private prisons now. It costs over 1$ a minute for a prisoner to talk on the phone to their kids at home and a company is making millions off of those calls, Thats $15 for a 15 minute call. That is an incentive to keep locking people up.

KK isnt my argument really but the prison system. We pay about $55,000 a year to keep one prisoner behind bars and at 2.2 million prisoners you can do the math. If we are such a free country why do we have more prisoners than any other?

I really have mixed feelings about KK. I really do want to kick the dude in the face but I dont know where he's been and what hes been taught in life growing up. He fucked up and for some reason he cant admit it. Maybe his ego got so damn big hes goddamn delusional. Who knows.

The prison system is corrupt and the drug war put us there with their failure that could not be helped.

If you were a politician in the 80s, grabbing a get tough on drugs stance was a no brainer but now, today we can see its all BS. Today,everyday people are being locked up so some 1%er can get a paycheck and I feel that is wrong.

MikeyinBrookyln I hope I didnt offend. You were courteous in your response. I meant to do the same. I just feel that when people can start making money off of locking people up and even giving them jobs to make even more money, I feel like that is slavery. I really feel we will look back on on these days years from now and wonder what the hell we were thinking.
    Last edited by Django; October-12-13 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    BINGO.... with all the money that was being laundered he has to have some major money [[likely precious metals) stashed away somewhere... especially as things were going south after the texting scandal was revealed.
    Except Carlita and the kids have to live on something, and she recently got fired from her job. Whatever Kwame has stashed away will likely be used to provide for his family while he's in prison. Not only is Carlita unemployed, but she is accustomed to a certain lifestyle, one that isn't cheap.

There won't be any money left when Kwame gets out.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Don't forget Bobby has a history of being a hothead, has strong armed people. Pistol whipping, baseball bat incidents. Kwame hit a cop on his porch. These 2 will be paying for what they did, it is not that I want any more trouble for them. Just sayin...

so will they ever find that money they say he stashed away?

was kwame remorseful when he pushed that cop?
    was he remorseful when he lied in court, on the witness stand about his mistress?
    was he remorseful firing that other cop? or to the city for costing it $6mil+ ?
    was kwame remorseful to his wife after doing the nasty with beatty?

i dont think showing remorse should get any time off your sentence, unless you help investigators and admit fault early on saving trial time. thats what a plea bargain is.

anyone talk to kwame's lawyer? didnt he want to fire his lawyer ?

28 years seems long. but thats what happens when you try to fight the feds.
    the deck is stacked. they've seen it all before.
    you think you're the first guy to run a town friends & family style?

carlita was fired for having cash in her desk?
    if she knows where the millions are kept, the feds will find out soon.

why'd they all move to texas?
    thought they loved detroit...

someone talking smack about gil hill in this thread ? really ?
    kwame was better than gil hill? you have the nerve to say that now?
    i guess even the facts cant get through to you. good luck.
    Last edited by compn; October-12-13 at 04:53 PM.

Too Vuggin' long.
    Twenty eight years is too much grief.
    Too gulag-ey for my taste what has happened to them United States in the past twenty eight years, chief.

Why bother going to school and smile,
    if they are going to kick in your teeth.
    Ivan Denisovich lacked his vitamins C and D,
    Your tattooed monsters are fed on meds and wreaths.

Twenty what?
    OK, when can we start talking about too much?
    The more guns, the more cars, the more everything; under pressure and
    dense and loosely connected all at once, Dog help youse all.

Django has got it.
    Twenty eight candies in my bag of goodies for Halloween
    The scaredness and the spiteness, in spite of the justice.
    What justice?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i dont think showing remorse should get any time off your sentence, unless you help investigators and admit fault early on saving trial time. thats what a plea bargain is.
    Some times the prosecutors think they have the case cold and will not plea bargain [[they do not have to do it). In those cases, you plead guilty and try not to cloud up the courtroom with too much "Oh my boy is such a sweet gentle boy". You just say "guilty" and tell the judge you are remorseful and are throwing yourself at his mercy.

The fact that he didnt see what he did was wrong makes me think the kid truly is sick in some way. Im hardly afraid hes gonna go on a killing spree if released. I just think there are better ways than just locking em up and forgetting about them. We are trying to become a better society right? Putting people in cages does nothing but hide the true problems.

Love it
    It is too gulag-ey
    Last edited by Django; October-13-13 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    It is too gulag-ey

Da. Amen-ey.

...I just think there are better ways than just locking em up and forgetting about them. We are trying to become a better society right? Putting people in cages does nothing but hide the true problems.
    I'm not taking a "position" here, but I need to ask what are those "better ways"?

It's a given that prisons don't "rehabilitate" and that "locking em up and forgetting about them" isn't the ideal...

At the same time some of those "better ways" resemble a slap on the wrist, get out of prison ASAP, stay with your family, and keep your freedom.

So, until we have actually become that "better society"... where is the middle ground between those two anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I'm not taking a "position" here, but I need to ask what are those "better ways"?

It's a given that prisons don't "rehabilitate" and that "locking em up and forgetting about them" isn't the ideal...

At the same time some of those "better ways" resemble a slap on the wrist, get out of prison ASAP, stay with your family, and keep your freedom.

So, until we have actually become that "better society"... where is the middle ground between those two anyway?
    Sinca about 60% of all prisoners are non violent drug offenders I would say yeah, slap them on the wrist.

Sinca about 60% of all prisoners are non violent drug offenders I would say yeah, slap them on the wrist.
    And the 40% who murdered your spouse in a robbery?

Nice that you're against our absurd criminal justice system. Impossible to believe that you don't respect the need for criminal justice because its not done well.

Hold up, I do not think that rapists and murderers should not be locked up. I never said everyone should go free, WTF?

Lets stay on topic here and not turn this into a legalizing drugs thread...

I would be curious as to what kind of stuff federal prisoners in low security prisons have access too. I wonder if they can go on the internet etc...

No internet access thats for sure. They may get an hour a week in a gym and/or library, TV of course. Drugs are readily available too.

No internet access thats for sure. They may get an hour a week in a gym and/or library, TV of course. Drugs are readily available too.
    Kwhyme was able to get access to a phone and charger when he was housed in that state pen in the UP.

Being able to choose where he gets to serve his sentence seems to be a curious perk. How common is THAT?!

The have access to email[[Corrlinks) which they can use as long as an inmate has money[[$0.05 per minute) in their accounts to buy credits to send and recieve messages[[texts only,no pictures), they can use the email system as long as they aren't in their cells and it isn't dowte n for maintenance. As far as recreation goes as long as its open they can go which is pretty much all day every day, the library is open everyday as well. Drugs aren't as prevalent and if they are they are pretty expensive, weed cost 4 books of stamps[[the currency of BOP) which is equivalent to $20 and that gets you a chapstick cap full of weed. Television watching is done in several common areas and in order to hear whats on tv you listen through a radio with headphones that you have to purchase because the televisions have no speakers. If they were going to be at a camp they would have access to cellphones,mp3 players,psp video game systems and whatnot. There used to be problems with cellphones in low security BOP prisons but they now have K-9 units that can sniff out cellphones and have technology that can actually pinpoint exactly where a cellphone is being used on the compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Kwhyme was able to get access to a phone and charger when he was housed in that state pen in the UP.

Being able to choose where he gets to serve his sentence seems to be a curious perk. How common is THAT?!
    Not very,actually the judge doesn't make that determination,the BOP office in Grand Prairie,Texas makes that determination. Judges can make suggestions but it is up to the BOP ultimately because they have to take security levels and whether they even have room at that particular prison and even if they do you have other prisoners who are in the BOP that have made request to go to that prison get first picks for whatever slots are available. Kwame is more than likely going to be disappointed and they might ship his ass down to Florida or even out west to California just because they can.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4