Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Historic Fort Wayne Flea Market, THIS WKND, Oct 12-13

I'm sorry we didnt get a flyer generated for this event, to my knowledge. But as far as I know we will be open on Saturday from 10am-4pm, and Sunday as well.

All of our tables have already been rented out, and there will be more outdoor tables. This could be the biggest flea market ever.

We also just had a 300-kid army of U of D Jesuit High School kids here on Tuesday that helped do an enormous amount of groundswork for community service, so maybe you'll even notice a cleaner-looking Fort Wayne. You can even see the progress that has been made on the c.1848 Barracks restoration--granted, it's not much, due to a work stoppage brought on by the bankruptcy, but the contractors are back at work now. Whether they will get the painting done before winter is doubtful, but it sure is nice to see fresh white paint on the back of the blg.

We will be doing at least three scheduled fort tour times throughout the day. Be sure to sign up early!

THIS IS ONE OF THE LAST WEEKENDS WE WILL BE OPEN THIS YEAR!

Anthony Wayne Cyclecross Bike Race is next weekend, and after that we are closed to the public for winter, except for December 7, which is our xmas event. We will not reopen until May.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; October-10-13 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post

I'm sorry we didnt get a flyer generated for this event, to my knowledge. But as far as I know we will be open on Saturday from 10am-4pm, and Sunday as well.

All of our tables have already been rented out, and there will be more outdoor tables. This could be the biggest flea market ever.

We also just had a 300-kid army of U of D Jesuit High School kids here on Tuesday that helped do an enormous amount of groundswork for community service, so maybe you'll even notice a cleaner-looking Fort Wayne.

We will be doing at least three scheduled fort tour times throughout the day. Be sure to sign up early!

Anthony Wayne Cyclecross Bike Race is next weekend, and after that we are closed to the public for winter, except for December 7, which is our xmas event. We will not reopen until May.
    Cool! I know I'll drop by for 10 minutes or so. The Anthony Wayne Cyclecross Bike Race sounds interesting. Can the general public come and watch?

yeah as far as i know, the bike race is open to all. i googled it just now and came up with a FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mad-A...40190156004677

i dont know much else about it, other than this is like the 3rd yr for it.

this is the group that holds the event:
    http://beatthetrain.org

yeah as far as i know, the bike race is open to all. i googled it just now and came up with a FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mad-A...40190156004677

i dont know much else about it, other than this is like the 3rd yr for it.

this is the group that holds the event:
    http://beatthetrain.org
    Thanx. I've seen them before and they're interesting and fun. I think that's a great event to have @ the Fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Cool! I know I'll drop by for 10 minutes or so.
    Smooooooth!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Smooooooth!
    I'm glad you have a sense of humus......

We also just had a 300-kid army of U of D Jesuit High School kids here on Tuesday that helped do an enormous amount of groundswork for community service, so maybe you'll even notice a cleaner-looking Fort Wayne. You can even see the progress that has been made on the c.1848 Barracks restoration--granted, it's not much, due to a work stoppage brought on by the bankruptcy, but the contractors are back at work now. Whether they will get the painting done before winter is doubtful, but it sure is nice to see fresh white paint on the back of the blg.

I hope this IS a big one. This flea market ago should be one of the biggest flea market events in the region, but all too often it is seriously underattended. Vendors have been lost because of this. Is there a Facebook Event created? That would help to spread the word.

I love Fort Wayne and I love the Flea Market; been going since my 36 year old was in a stroller. I'll run by this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

when is the next event, how can you rent out a booth?

Well, went to to the Fort Wayne Flea both days; found some good things, as always.

As always, too it was sadly underattended; a show this big, with this many vendors, in such a lovely, bucolic, historically significant place should be packed with attendees; folks should be jamming the aisles. Alas, this was not the case, and many vendors- as before - we're disappointed. Some didn't come back on Sunday.

IMO the event is underprivileged, though I don't have a real sense of just where and how it IS promoted, since I don't see much promotion. Shame, because it could be great. It once was 30+ years ago.

Regardless, I'll still support it and I'll keep telling my friends.

Went Saturday, and had a blast. Went for 10 minutes, but ended up staying for 4 hours. You couldn't have asked for a nicer day. Excellent vibes. Vendors were friendly and had lots of goodies. I agree with marshamusic's assessment, though, you guys need to do way more advertising. The old girl is looking good, WaCoTS, nice work! If you didn't buy a loaf of the multigrain bread from the commissary, you missed the boat! It's EXCELLENT! Wish I had bought two. How about actually showing some films in the old movie theatre?

the old theater? well if you want to approach the city PRD and try to get a lease agreement to restore and reopen that blg, they might let you. it is not in ready-to-go shape, though it does have a new roof. right now its not even really on our radar, as the Coalition already has several project blgs that we barely have enough people to keep going.

there is also a fully automated bowling alley in the basement of the Visitor Center that people keep saying we should "reopen." easier said than done! my answer to that is is always, "So when are you going to start on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when is the next event, how can you rent out a booth?
    http://www.historicfortwaynecoalitio...leamarket.html
    i dont know offhand when the next one is scheduled for, but the date has been decided already and handed out to the vendors who plan on returning.

i imagine our calendar for next year will be posted on our website in the coming months. our annual meeting this year is on Nov 11, and i think the coming year's schedule is one of the things on that agenda usually.

i recommend if you plan on getting a table that you do it asap, because they sell out.

as far as promotion of the Flea Mkt, i am not sure what is done on that end as that's not really my department. i know for some of our events we have bought radio airtime for ads, but it is expensive.

i heard that Fox2 News did a spot on us this past friday before the event. we [[the Coalition) also have a facebook page and a website where the event was talked about. i also made a post on probably the most popular message board in the metro area [[this one).

there are of course other avenues that we could go down for promotion, but you have to understand some of them cost money, and all of them take time to actually go thru the hoops to accomplish. we're 100% volunteer driven, and all of us have day jobs, so we do what we can. in fact Doris, [[the secretary of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition, who is in charge of running this event) lives in Lapeer County and has to commute quite a ways just to come down here to put this together. like the rest of us she has to take time off of work to do this. the bottom line is we just need more help. there are lots of good ideas out there, but not enough time, and not enough hands.

yes, we accomplish an incredible amount with the small dedicated group that we have, but the fact is we are stretched very thin, and many of our members are getting old, and are developing health problems. at 35yrs old, i am one of the youngest members in the Coalition.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; October-14-13 at 07:53 AM.

hell, i just remembered we didn't even do a Coalition table at the flea market this year because no one felt like going thru the hassle of doing the extra setup & teardown.

where are all those rambunctious "young people" i keep hearing about who are "moving into detroit these days", eager to help with the grassroots work of turning the city around?
    Last edited by WaCoTS; October-14-13 at 08:07 AM.

I was real sad I couldn't make it. I had to house sit a couple animals, one of whom is a giant anxiety ball. Is this a once a year event, or do they have multiple? I would love to go a couple times a year, as flea markets are totally my jam.

there is one in the spring and one in the fall. usually october and april or may

hell, i just remembered we didn't even do a Coalition table at the flea market this year because no one felt like going thru the hassle of doing the extra setup & teardown.

where are all those rambunctious "young people" i keep hearing about who are "moving into detroit these days", eager to help with the grassroots work of turning the city around?
    @ the bar.....

lol
    saving the city, one bottle of local craft brew at a time haha

I'm not young, but if you need help with social media [[faceboook promotion) I will do what I can. I have been asked at various times to come aboard to help, by folks active at Fort Wayne/ Detroit Historical Society, but my schedule just doesn't allow it.

But I would create facebook events for the flea market, as I don't recall seeing one for last weekend.

I love Fort Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I'm not young, but if you need help with social media [[faceboook promotion) I will do what I can. I have been asked at various times to come aboard to help, by folks active at Fort Wayne/ Detroit Historical Society, but my schedule just doesn't allow it.

But I would create facebook events for the flea market, as I don't recall seeing one for last weekend.

I love Fort Wayne.

Shoulda bought the bread. I had a toasted slice for lunch with humous and home grown tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

I love Fort Wayne.
    yeah im not sure why we didnt have a flyer made up for the flea market this time, but usually we do for every other event we have, and it's posted on the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition facebook page for people to share around.

in order to help with activities like this tho, you would first have to be a HFWC member:
    http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/involved.html

yeah im not sure why we didnt have a flyer made up for the flea market this time, but usually we do for every other event we have, and it's posted on the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition facebook page for people to share around.

in order to help with activities like this tho, you would first have to be a HFWC member:
    http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/involved.html
    Thank you for the membership info. I also tapped into the facebook group. I don't have a lot of time [[who does?) but I'd like to do what I can.