Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default pom pom person for Detroit

Honestly had a beautiful day. My neighbors the best. My husband's sister came for a brief visit. Served lunch [[I am a great cook). She has lived in Texas for 30 yrs and now resides up north in Michigan.

Invited her to stroll my neighborhood, her knees were shaking. Everywhere we went, I was greeted, by our fabulous neighbors.In other posts I have said this is so southern in some aspects, we all call each by saying Miss Sue or Mister Ron or sister or brother and it is all actually meant.

The weather was so nice it seems everyone was out. She was, I think, shocked to see that we live in a very real community. The sweet capper was, we need some stuff transported, mostly an extension ladder and another neighbor, Mr Blair, pulls up and gives a new name of another neighbor who can help. All set for Saturday. Then another neighbor comes to say, let me help with some household chores tomorrow.

Wow, I am really blessed! This is my Detroit.

For all that we gripe about Detroit things, there's a reason we live here. I love Detroit, too. My friend Joanna visited from NYC [[lifelong NY resident), and she just couldn't believe how friendly everyone was. People in NY NEVER just say a casual friendly hello to someone they don't know.

I imagine people think I play stupid when it comes to my city. I see and experience loads of negatives all the time. For better or worse, I dwell on the amazing great things I see. Viva Detroit.

My friend comes in every few months from Pittsburgh and absolutely loves it here. As he put it, he's never met so many random people while out and about at night. Its seriously hilarious because I can't leave him alone at the bar without fear that he'll have made a new friend. Seems to be a pretty common sentiment from visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I am a great cook
    This is as far as I got into your post. I'll be over tonight at six.

See ya then!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    This is as far as I got into your post. I'll be over tonight at six.

See ya then!
    Never a problem. Invite yourself. I make an amazing French onion soup or perhaps Hungarian mushroom soup. My crepes are superb. My niece thinks I should become a caterer but frankly, too old and too lazy. My spinach cheese pies is the tits.

We eat like birds so I send cooked plates up and down the street. No one has complained yet. A person just can't cook for two. I also bake a lot but really rarely eat the sweets. My sour cream apple pie is superb.

Joined St John St Luke last year near Eastern Market and last Sunday they had a pot luck, I had promised a member I would make gulumkey [[sp) ie cabbage rolls. Crap, I should have made 3 trays.

I only now cook in volume for DED, Detroit Eviction Defense

Guess I'll do the flip side, Tamika was banging at our door a few minutes ago. She wanted smokes and also wanted to sell me about 40 pounds of good meat. A.) god only knows if it was any good. B.) It's annoying that some area denizens think because we are white we have money.

My car is 21 years old. No, assholes, I am not rich

I convinced her to just go home. She was drunk as a skunk. Told her to take it and cook it.

As a community we have assisted battered women and kids to better situations, someone like Tamika thrives on her bad shit. Honestly my heart bleeds for her. Frankly she thrives on bad stuff and I really don't want to be bothered.

That is the bad side of our hood. We can't save every person or child and that does take a toll