Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bicyclist killed-in-hit-and-run on MI Ave.

So sad. I am never over there at night. Is there adequate lighting to ride?

When the folks behind the push for these bike lanes showed up at one of our Resident's Council meetings a few years back, the first thing I said was, "Get prepared for the hit and runs, folks." If there's one thing I know about a few of my fellow Detroiters, it's that if it stands in the way of what they want, or where they want to go, they will destroy it just to see it obliterated and laugh as they continue on.

Whats even worse is that I've driven by that very spot where this person was run over and shivered while saying to my boyfriend that someone coming out of that neighborhood was going to hit one of our local cyclists.

I've actually heard a person say outloud that if one of those "f****t hipster bike people" rode in front of their car they would run them over. Of course i reminded them that one day it could be their child laying face down in the street. The reply was that they would never allow their kid to ride a bike in the street because streets are supposed to be for cars.

Lord knows Ive been there, hit by a high-on and laying in the street convulsing in a pool of blood in front of my horrified neighbors. Lucky to be alive to tell you guys about it. Probably explains a lot.

The news said the cyclist's body parts were strewn all over the street. God, I pray this person died quickly and never saw it coming.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; October-08-13 at 11:13 PM.

I don't know many details here, Detgwen, but I share concerns. When I was in NY, crazy bikers were everywhere [[far greater car and bike density there). I know several people who were hit by cars. In each case they lived, but there were many fatal accidents. All the times that there were deaths, the biker was either weaving in and out of cars [[completely illegal) or not wearing a helmet. I hope that bike riders realize that they are far more likely to cause their death than a car. I was hit while walking on a sidewalk by a bicyclist. I got a shiner, and the biker [[young woman in her 20's, I'd say) took off, after I helped her up.

While we don't know how the incident happened, all I can say is for anyone bicycling, follow the rules of the road and stay safe. I ride in congested downtown traffic everyday and have never been hit. There's always going to be the moments where someone runs a red light or swings open a car door illegally into traffic, but the biggest part of staying safe is simply following the rules.

My condolences to the family. IMO there's alot of angst between SOME drivers and cyclists. In the city I've observed cars taunting bikers and I've seen bikers dare-deviling cars. But mostly I've seen some hostile actions of cars upon bikers in the city. NO WAY would I cycle in the city, unless I was with a group, withstanding the new biker lanes. There's just too much hostility out there right now. And if you do cycle do follow the rules, dress in bright clothing and watch out for the nuts.

How could bike lanes be a bad thing. Cyclists are NOT supposed to be riding on sidewalks they share the road. I bike all over Detroit and cant tell you how many times Ive had an idiot yell at me to get off the road. I even had a cop once in Dearborn demand that I ride on the sidewalk. I was riding from Ypsi here and it would be an impossible ride on sidewalks. The bike lanes give a clear indication of where cars should not be and where bikes should be.

As far as street lighting...Pffftt. Yeah right.

I don't use my bike to commute; I mainly ride along the river, Belle Isle, and the DC, so my traffic interactions are not similar to those who commute. I didn't realize that there were that many aggressive drivers. When drivers do misbehave, I hope they throw the book at them.

Detroit Police confirm a male pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run accident. The accident happened on Michigan Avenue and Junction Street in Detroit. The man was riding a bicycle at the time of the collision.

Fox 2 doesn't know what a pedestrian is. Condolences to the family and friends.

That is a very difficult corner to understand. I would be amazed if the incident didn't involve a bike moving east. It is very dark and the traffic signal is very far west of the corner. As well, the entire site is not a straight foursquare intersection. If turning from Junction westbound onto Michigan you cannot even see the signal above. Only cars that have been heading west on Michigan Ave - stopped well east of the signal- can see the light change.Just a bad place and poor signage and sight lines.

I was a daily bike rider but have basically stopped since moving back to Metro Detroit. I applaud people who are trying to make it a safer place for bikers but Metro Detroit drivers are kind of set in their ways and don't have much sympathy for us. Oh well hopefully time will change this problem. Such a sad story...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

I was thinking the EXACT thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

Some jurisdictions consider bicyclists as pedestrians. I thought Michigan classified them that way based on a previous thread on this forum...

I haven't seen anything definitive that says the bicycle was in the road or on the sidewalk. I would say the best indicator would be that it was on the sidewalk since the word "pedestrian" is used. We shouldn't necessarily assume anything as there are really no details available about the incident.

FreeP article adds a gruesome detail:
    The cyclist was hit on Michigan Avenue near 32nd Street at 9 p.m., then dragged for several blocks, Detroit Police spokeswoman Kelly Miner said this morning. The unidentified man and his mountain bike became dislodged at Michigan Avenue and Junction, and he was declared dead at the scene.
    I ride as much as I can; it's my preferred means of transportation. By and large, this city is an awesome place to ride. Only rarely do I feel like drivers actively want to see me dead: mostly I'm just threatened by their inattentiveness or intoxication.

I do wish people knew what the hell bicycle lanes were all about. To judge from behavior, the common interpretation seems to be: "it's another lane for cars, unless there's a bicycle in it, and then you can share it with them if you want."

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post

I ride as much as I can; it's my preferred means of transportation. By and large, this city is an awesome place to ride. Only rarely do I feel like drivers actively want to see me dead: mostly I'm just threatened by their inattentiveness or intoxication.

I do wish people knew what the hell bicycle lanes were all about. To judge from behavior, the common interpretation seems to be: "it's another lane for cars, unless there's a bicycle in it, and then you can share it with them if you want."

D-DOT drivers think they are passing lanes.

Haven't seen any SMART buses mis-behaving, but almost ALL of the city buses take great liberties with these lanes. Especially on Michigan Avenue...

I thought it very cool when bike lanes were painted on Kercheval and the blvd. But to be honest, I don't really know what the rules of the road are anymore.

Our oldest son is an avid biker and I shudder when I hear of these accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post

I take Lafayette home. Heading East yesterday evening, there were 7 or 8 cyclists heading West on Lafayette. [[bright Spandex, Lycra, high-performance road bikes) Not ONE was in the bike lane. They were straddling Lafayette, 2 abreast, and behind them were 4 or 5 cars trying to figure out how to pass these guys. The cyclists were fully aware of the cars behind them, because a few of them turned around and looked back. They passed me, and continued up Lafayette, still 2 abreast. So much for "sharing the road".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I take Lafayette home. Heading East yesterday evening, there were 7 or 8 cyclists heading West on Lafayette. [[bright Spandex, Lycra, high-performance road bikes) Not ONE was in the bike lane. They were straddling Lafayette, 2 abreast, and behind them were 4 or 5 cars trying to figure out how to pass these guys. The cyclists were fully aware of the cars behind them, because a few of them turned around and looked back. They passed me, and continued up Lafayette, still 2 abreast. So much for "sharing the road".

If you spent that much on togs and gear, you'd also want to be the center of attention. Fashion runways are always in the middle.

I'm not up on the laws. Could the bicycle riders in this instance, given the way it's described here, be issued tickets for not making use of the supplied bicycle lane and disrupting traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    I'm not up on the laws. Could the bicycle riders in this instance, given the way it's described here, be issued tickets for not making use of the supplied bicycle lane and disrupting traffic?
    I'm not sure either. I did go to court years ago for "Obstructing Traffic" and we won. We were in the right lane, but the cop was having a bad day. I know when I rode regularly, I was cognisant of motor vehicles and the fact they didn't share my immediate enthusiasm for cycling and that they too had to be somewhere. SOME of the people that come into the City, come in with an elitist attitude. They give the rest of us a bad name. People in Detroit were actually quite tolerant and supportive. People in the 'burbs, on the other hand, were downright hostile.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-10-13 at 02:12 PM.

i live in a very bike firendly city [[Madison, WI) and bikers often disobey laws and generally ignore safety laws [[no helmets, riding with earbuds in, no front & back blinking lights, run red lights, ride on sidewalks). i fully support biking and often commute on bicycle myself, but people have to be aware of cars. when bicycling, i always assume motorists aren't paying attention to me and i don't ride after dark. i use my dependable bus system with bike racks to avoid the infamous WI 5-7+ DUI drunk drivers!
    Last edited by hybridy; October-10-13 at 03:25 PM.

Well, this morning I saw another one. Some guy drove the whole length of Lafayette to 375, in the bike lane, totally oblivious to the fact, or what he was doing. I guess the pendilum swings both ways.

Well, this morning I saw another one. Some guy drove the whole length of Lafayette to 375, in the bike lane, totally oblivious to the fact, or what he was doing. I guess the pendilum swings both ways.

It doesn't help that the line stripers and symbol painters have no co-ordination between their teams. So far, we've got all sorts of new lines on most of the roads without any explanation why they're there...

...and over on the Boulevard they painted the symbols without any lines, which will prove costly since the street width is apparently not constant. With the new center-turn lane...which is stupid since most of the properties have alley garages...there is not enough WIDTH in a few places for the full car lane, bike lane, and parking lane to co-exist!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the work was being done by some of Bobby Ferguson's old crew. After an extended lunch break at one of the strip clubs downtown!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It doesn't help that the line stripers and symbol painters have no co-ordination between their teams. So far, we've got all sorts of new lines on most of the roads without any explanation why they're there...

...and over on the Boulevard they painted the symbols without any lines, which will prove costly since the street width is apparently not constant. With the new center-turn lane...which is stupid since most of the properties have alley garages...there is not enough WIDTH in a few places for the full car lane, bike lane, and parking lane to co-exist!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the work was being done by some of Bobby Ferguson's old crew. After an extended lunch break at one of the strip clubs downtown!
    Somewhere, though Gannon, and I think they're on the grassy knoll, are metal signs stating "Bike Lane", with I believe, an arrow pointing down @ an angle. They also might be painted on the street every so often. I'll watch on the way home and report back, as I cross through several parts of the City daily. This being Detroit, I'm not sure what it would take. You're probably right, though, they need to spell it out better. Ever try the B&O ICE amp modules? They're very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast