Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The push for 4 A.M. last call is back.

The push for a 4 A.M. last call is back in Lansing. This time it's different. The bill is just for bars, restaurants, etc. in central business districts. I've always been for this. I never understood why has always been a struggle here. Especially since Detroit as much as a "sleepy town" as some folks here feel it is. You have plenty of workers that work 2nd shift or afternoons.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013100...-alcohol-later

This SHOULD happen! Just hope the "downtown area" can include Midtown, Corktown, Eastern Market, etc. This would be such a boost to the Detroit entertainment scene.

The state shouldn't limit alcohol sale times. Cities/towns should decide when they want [[or don't) want it sold.

In other news, Hamtramck quickly establishes its "central business district" as 2.1 square miles of the 2.2-square-mile city.

The state shouldn't limit alcohol sale times. Cities/towns should decide when they want [[or don't) want it sold. It is the perfect local issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    The state shouldn't limit alcohol sale times. Cities/towns should decide when they want [[or don't) want it sold.
    That actually makes the most sense. I think the each municipality is faced with different issues, especially when it comes to branding and marketing towards certain groups. Troy might set their last call at 2am, being a family town, while Ferndale knows that it is catering towards a younger crowd that might be apt to stay out later.

I really think the 4am last call makes a lot more sense, considering that most patrons would trickle out from 1am until the bar actually closes, rather than a gigantic discharge of drunkards at 2am like I saw every weekend for almost 10 years now. The rush to last call also is a trap for plenty of people I would see, as soon as last call was announced, you'd have a line at the bar, people clamoring for their last drink, even though they might be getting behind the wheel shortly after. I saw let the cities decide and make the new licenses cost more, with those proceeds going to the local PD.

Maybe I'm already drinking too much. I'm seeing double!

Yeah, I edited my comment to add one more sentence, and instead of editing it, it posted it anew. Oh, well. I should always be read twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In other news, Hamtramck quickly establishes its "central business district" as 2.1 square miles of the 2.2-square-mile city.
    LOL!

I agree with others that think this should be locally controlled.

THe guy from PJ's lager house was interviewed as he supports it. PJ's is outside of the CBD. That is odd.

Nevada pubs are open and selling 24/7. No particular problem here at all.

For heaven sakes. NO! Detroit and some cities don't have enough police for make 'blind pig' arrests. Last time a bar open passed 2 am, a riot happen in Detroit's West Side on the corner of 12th Street and Clairmont St. in 1967. Detroit had never look the same ever since. I don't want this law passed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    THe guy from PJ's lager house was interviewed as he supports it. PJ's is outside of the CBD. That is odd.
    Well, yeah, but maybe the language would read "inside the boulevard." That's where the new pawn shop ban applies, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    For heaven sakes. NO! Detroit and some cities don't have enough police for make 'blind pig' arrests. Last time a bar open passed 2 am, a riot happen in Detroit's West Side on the corner of 12th Street and Clairmont St. in 1967. Detroit had never look the same ever since. I don't want this law passed.
    Hahahaha, you must be kidding me if you think that VICE isn't raiding blind pigs that are not Benny sanctioned every chance they get. Trust me, if you serve past 2am and word gets to ANYONE, you're busted right off the bat. Cops have rolled at least a dozen afterhours in the past year that were serving and handed out a multitude of tickets.

Yeah. Just what Detroit needs, that added drink later into the night. NO WE DON'T!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    For heaven sakes. NO! Detroit and some cities don't have enough police for make 'blind pig' arrests..... I don't want this law passed.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    That actually makes the most sense. I think the each municipality is faced with different issues, especially when it comes to branding and marketing towards certain groups. Troy might set their last call at 2am, being a family town, while Ferndale knows that it is catering towards a younger crowd that might be apt to stay out later.

I really think the 4am last call makes a lot more sense, considering that most patrons would trickle out from 1am until the bar actually closes, rather than a gigantic discharge of drunkards at 2am like I saw every weekend for almost 10 years now. The rush to last call also is a trap for plenty of people I would see, as soon as last call was announced, you'd have a line at the bar, people clamoring for their last drink, even though they might be getting behind the wheel shortly after. I saw let the cities decide and make the new licenses cost more, with those proceeds going to the local PD.
    This.

It gives people more time to sober up if need be, in addition to people getting the option of going to get a drink when getting off work at 1am or 2am.

Those girls that look really good at 2am will look even better at 4am.

I will reiterate that if municipalities are given the option of altering their closing times, they would not be required to do so. Cities should be free to make the rules that work for them, taking into account neighborhood factors [[residential heavy areas might close earlier), crime, traffic, police, etc. They could also allow certain nights [[Friday & Saturday, after certain sports events, etc) to have later closings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I never understood why has always been a struggle here.
    Miserable tee-totalling Calvinists out west, for starters.

Or late last drink that goes takes some over the edge. ROTFL! Thankfully establishments can opt out if they want to I gather. I can see some of the real bucket of blood joints going full out for that extra money....

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    This.

It gives people more time to sober up if need be, in addition to people getting the option of going to get a drink when getting off work at 1am or 2am.

Hah! That's naughty...... The men might start to seem more hot too. Course 12 noon the next day will tell the truth for those so engaged!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Those girls that look really good at 2am will look even better at 4am.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-07-13 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! That's naughty...... The men might start to seem more hot too. Course 12 noon the next day will tell the truth for those so engaged!
    I went to bed at two with a ten and woke up at ten with a two.

Well, not everyone at a bar or restaurant late at night has been a-drinking since lunch. When I worked in New York, many bars and restaurants catered to people [[like other restaurant and bar professionals such as MikeyinBrooklyn) who get out of work late. I've eaten many a post-midnight dinner in life.

I have to agree 100 percent with Danny on this one. 2am is plenty late enough.

lily

i am rather ambivalent to this proposal. Guess the state wants more income from the "driver responsibility" law. They keep lowering the level at which a person is considered drunk but expanding access to liquor. Sunday sales, etc!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast