Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Napoleon Woos Crittenden & Loses Credibility

I don't love Mike Duggan, but I bet he will be proactive and constructive as mayor. Benny Napoleon, in wooing a reactionary hack like Ms. Crittenden to be deputy mayor [[note: the article does not report what her reaction was), has cost him for sure my vote. He has failed to effectively fight crime or administratively improve either the DPD or the Sheriff's office. Now he wants to hire the woman that tried to get the courts to prevent ill Detroit from taking it's medicine. Blatant attempt to woo women, and the conspiracy theory-type voters afraid of "outsiders" coming in to harm the city. Pathetic, Mr. Napoleon, pathetic. Now, do I vote for Duggan or Pingree?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

This just shows that Benny knows his campaign is toast and he throwing up what amounts to one in a series of Hail Mary's in the coming weeks. This is disappointing to me. I wanted to find a reason to vote for him. However the fact that he is black or a life long Detroiter just wasn't doing it for me. I wanted to keep an open mind as much as I could. Benny simply didn't give me a legit reason why I should support him especially now. I think the city needs certain skillsets that I don't see in Benny

That's it. Napoleon and Krittendon will absolutely LOSE! the election. Duggan got this Detroit Mayoral election in the bag.

I think that choosing Crittendon was a strategic move. Who had Duggan tapped on the shoulder to be his deputy Mayor. I am still neutral on who I would vote for

Oh man, this bag of crazy is just getting bigger. This will be so much fun.

Oy vey! Back when she was Corporation Counsel she had problems sticking to the limits of her office. Give her the office of Deputy Mayor and she may forget about the first half of that title. If Benny is elected he better sleep with one eye open and hope to never need to be placed under general anesthesia...

Deputy Mayor has about as much to do with anything as __________________. Fill in your own term for USELESS POLITICAL OFFICE.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Deputy Mayor has about as much to do with anything as __________________. Fill in your own term for USELESS POLITICAL OFFICE.
    True depending on the city,I think in this case it gets her foot in the door to be mayor after Mr. Napoleon should he win.

Because she would be in line,and given currant hurdles to overcome, my guess would be,she would be or have to be deeply involved in goings on,depending on her outlook whether things are comfortable as they are or change is needed,she kinda strikes me as being very comfortable with the whole city verses the world thing.

Having said that though,I think she should still be corporation counsel.

Mr. Duggan pairs up with Rashida Tlaib?
    Last edited by Richard; October-07-13 at 04:40 PM.

Yes, it does wield no real power, except: she will always be in the public eye, challenging anything and everything she disagrees with. And "disagrees with" will be defined as any stance that advances her mayoral candidacy in 4 years.

Was Louis Farrakhan unavailable? Perhaps the corpse of Coleman A. Young can be police chief.

Crystal Crittendon had more balls than the Mayor and 5 council members by questioning the legality of the consent agreement.

Smartest thing Napoleon has done in months.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Crystal Crittendon had more balls than the Mayor and 5 council members by questioning the legality of the consent agreement.

I fully agree. She may not have a lot of appeal beyond 8 mile, but she is smart and will be a strong asset.

But the deputy mayor job in Detroit has no relevance.

Yeah folks [[pass the pipe)... she's a brilliant choice... especially with her track record of NOT listening to her superiors...

Well, Stasu1213, I think her legal tricks proved 2 things: she was good at keeping her name in the papers, and that she has poor legal judgment. The EM law is fully constitutional. And Gistok, I agree, she would quite likely be the biggest regret of Benny Napoleon's administration, on the very slight chance he had one. Mike Duggan may or may not be the needed agent of change, but Benny Napoleon just certified that he isn't. A better route for him politically would have been to declare: I WILL HIRE NO ONE WITH CITY HALL EXPERIENCE.

The biggest revelation about the suggestion that he'd want her as deputy mayor is this: Although his job performance as Police Chief and Sheriff left a lot to be desired, he always seemed to stay above mere politics. Now he's just another politician with more job titles than accomplishments.

Looks to me like Napoleon sees whats happening, realizes this is going to be Mike Duggan's race. End of story. He gave his chance away when he didn't publicly announce to Tom Barrow it was time to stop wasting tax paper dollars, pack up his toys and go home.

imho

lily

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Looks to me like Napoleon sees whats happening, realizes this is going to be Mike Duggan's race. End of story. He gave his chance away when he didn't publicly announce to Tom Barrow it was time to stop wasting tax paper dollars, pack up his toys and go home.imholily
    ^^^Sounds about right to me. Not to get into conspiracies, but it wouldn't surprise me if Benny Napoleon was simply controlled opposition for Mike Duggan.

No balls necessary to pander voters. Balls assist in doing things that may be politically unpopular.

The only claim for balls would be Duggan.

I get more impressed by Duggan daily. It isn't so much the man ,as the team Detroit he has assembled. The man has the moxie to surround himself with effective people.

My vote went to his support long ago. Get almost daily updates as to his campaign. One notice said, attend and wear your Duggan T shirt and I jokingly replied, never got one.

Got an almost immediate response, "give us your address, we will mail you one" .

The man has assembled a diverse energetic team committed to his vision. My vote isn't bought by a dumb t shirt but by the energy he has generated by surrounding himself with great, effective team work.

Apologies to Downtown/ Midtown but after 40 yrs of watching investment in that, mostly stupid stuff, the downtown is finally seeing some resurgence. Good for them/good for the city.

Neighborhoods, who have been completely neglected, need attention too. I have been lucky to have lived in 3 areas that moved forward despite almost complete city disregard and with zero help.

I do believe his vision will encompass the "rest of us".

Yep, Duggan has my vote. Good team/good vision for the rest of us neglected folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Looks to me like Napoleon sees whats happening, realizes this is going to be Mike Duggan's race. End of story. He gave his chance away when he didn't publicly announce to Tom Barrow it was time to stop wasting tax paper dollars, pack up his toys and go home.
    Boom! Lily is spot on. Napolean has shown, especially in regards to what is quoted above, that he is not any different than those before him. He could've done something new and said "SHUT UP!" to Tom Barrow, or possibly went with a deputy mayor choice that wasn't a part of the Great Team assembled by slumbering overlord Dave Bing, but nope. He went straight for "More of the same", he allowed Tom Barrow to waste our time and money, he put forth a plan that isn't realistic just like everyone before him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ington+Post%29

Yes. With frivolous, and frankly, idiotic, continual lawsuits and appeals. Meanwhile our credit rating was spiraling downward and the coffers were empty.

I'd rather have more brains and less balls in city government. However half of the people in that building think they're Ghandi or something, helping all us poor benighted citizens find justice. Whatever - get the fucking streetlights on. Like what we need in this town is another scummy lawyer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhkmOThIySc
    Last edited by poobert; October-08-13 at 11:29 AM.

And more rocks in her head. Just because you can cause a stir doesn't mean you should be applauded.

[[Second reply post, but I can't help.)

This wasn't the 'ballsy' choice. This was the 'chicken' approach. How on earth did it take balls to pander to a segement of voters who want to hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Smartest thing Napoleon has done in months.
    Bad ideal! having him and his EM killer as Detroit mayor and deputy mayor will tear this city apart.