Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Miriam Carey ID'd As Woman Shot By Police Near Capitol

Miriam Carey Identified As Woman Shot By Police Near Capitol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4040115.html

From article:

Law enforcement officers have confirmed the identity of the woman shot by police outside the Capitol building on Thursday.

The woman who attempted to drive through White House barriers and set off a Capitol Hill police chase was identified as 34-year-old Miriam Carey of Stamford, Conn.

According to ABC News
    , Carey had a history of mental health issues and suffered from post-partum depression.

The suspect's sister, Amy Carey, was in disbelief
    when she told The Washington Post, “That’s impossible. She works, she holds a job."

Miriam Carey has been identified by authorities as a dental hygienist in Connecticut.

Former boss Dr. Barry J. Weiss told The New York Times that he and his partner fired Miriam Carey from their periodontics practice last year and cited her "temper" but would not go into detail.

The Times describes the final moments before Carey was killed:
    Ms. Carey managed to get out of the car, and was shot by several officers. According to a law enforcement official, she was not armed, and it was not known whether she presented an immediate danger.

More from the Associated Press:

WASHINGTON — WASHINGTON [[AP) — A woman with a year-old child led Secret Service and police on a harrowing car chase from the White House past the Capitol Thursday, attempting to penetrate the security barriers at both national landmarks before she was shot to death, police said. The child survived.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-13 at 07:56 AM.

I'm not going to get into whether or not the police should have wounded her rather than kill only to say federally trained police agencies are not trained like that. It is shoot to kill. The bigger issue in my mind is that the woman had mental health issues and had them for a while and for whatever reason did not get the help she needed. The quote by the woman's mother and sister leads me to believe that they were in some sort of denial about how bad Miriam was. The mother was quoted as saying that she had post-partum depression. The woman's sister was quoted as saying that's impossible because she works a job. I would venture to say the mental illness caused the post-partum depression if that was even a factor. Also mentally ill people can hold down jobs, but that still doesn't change the fact that the mental illness can pop up at any time if left unchecked. Until as a society we become more enlighten about mental illness and be quicker to ID and treat folks that are functional but not quite right we are going to have these kinds of incidents over and over again.

Well stated. For certain there a several disturbing factors in this case and how mental illness is addressed in this country is a mess. And yes, there a many seemingly 'functionally' depressed people, working, holding down careers etc. until that day and something falls off the shelf, all the way.

I don't know any law enforcement agency that teaches shoot to wound. The idea of using deadly force is to end the threat as soon as possible. A person who is amped up on adrenaline or anything else remains a threat when wounded. There have been many incidents where a wounded person was able to harm or kill an officer. I agree, mental health only comes into play after something like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    A person who is amped up on adrenaline
    A police officer amped up on adrenaline is far more dangerous.

Hopefully all of the shooters will be tried by a jury. At the very least, they need to lose their badges permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A police officer amped up on adrenaline is far more dangerous.

Hopefully all of the shooters will be tried by a jury. At the very least, they need to lose their badges permanently.
    What would you have suggested? Wait till she ran out of gas? Or ran down a bunch of people? Or worse, killed someone? Why didn't she consider her child in the car? A vehicle is as much a weapon as a gun.

A trained, disciplined officer employs other options.

Many departments have policies specifically forbidding firing on moving vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A trained, disciplined officer employs other options.

Many departments have policies specifically forbidding firing on moving vehicles.
    If she was anywhere other than DC, at the doorstep of our Federal government I would go along with you. Federal law enforcement agencies may not have the same policies as your state and local agencies when incidents like this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well stated. For certain there a several disturbing factors in this case and how mental illness is addressed in this country is a mess. And yes, there a many seemingly 'functionally' depressed people, working, holding down careers etc. until that day and something falls off the shelf, all the way.
    Depression doesn't cause people to have paranoia, which was clearly present in this case. It generally doesn't cause those who have it to be violent, except against themselves and very occasionally their families

Capitol shooting: Seeking clues into odd behavior of Miriam Carey, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...3.story?page=1

The above recent article on the case references clues to behavior; indicates that Carey may have been suffering from multiple psychological problems. Varied psychotropic drugs found at residence.

Another article states depression considered along other issues... with specific meds found in home: "Risperidone, which is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder, and Escitalopram, an antidepressant, the source told CNN."

That article also cites: "Carey's boyfriend contacted police in December saying he feared for the safety of their child, who was 4 months old at the time, according to a law enforcement source involved in the investigation. The boyfriend said Carey was acting delusional and suffering from postpartum depression."

It's all still speculative. And nothing so far 'excludes' depression as a factor or co-factor.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-13 at 05:44 AM.

This is why as a nation we really need to have the discussion on mental illness. The stigma attached to saying my relative suffered from post-partum depression is a hell of a lot less than saying my relative suffered from paranoid schizophrenia who by the way was probably half taking her meds. I'm sure the family is going thru a lot of emotions right now. However denial does not bring this problem to light and right now more understanding is needed rather than the denial that I think the family is displaying

^^^ Awesome points.

It's all still speculative. And nothing so far 'excludes' depression as a factor or co-factor.
    The "nature" of depression excludes it as a factor. Depressed people are less prone to violence except against themselves

Sounds like you have a great wealth of knowledge relative to the field. Thanks for the clarification... onward.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-13 at 05:35 PM.

Miriam Carey's lockbox held passport, foreign currency

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10...ncy-95059.html

Miriam Carey's Family Says DC Chase Suspect Was Not Delusional

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4057556.html

Default Astonishing Silence Greets Shooting Death of Miriam Carey at Capitol

Astonishing Silence Greets Shooting Death of Miriam Carey by Police at Capitol

By R. EMMETT TYRRELL, Jr., Special to the Sun | October 9, 2013

From article:

I am just wondering if Miriam Carey, the mentally ill mother who drove her black Infiniti down Pennsylvania Avenue after she rammed a White House barricade, was read her Miranda rights before she was shot dead in a fusillade of gunfire by a gang of well-armed police who surrounded her car at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue. The information has not been released, though as I write almost a week has passed since the lethal event.

Why could not those crack shots have aimed at her car’s tires. Then they could have waited for her next move. It looks to me like they were shooting at the side of the car about half way up the door. They apparently wanted to take no chances.

I guess they worried that she had some powerful explosives in the car. Yet what could Miss Carey have had that was so dangerous to them? She was still a couple of blocks from the Capitol. Did they fear dynamite? Could she have had a nuclear devise? Neither was very likely. We now know that she had only her year-old child. The child was not hurt.

Thus far there has been an astonishing silence surrounding the death Miss Carey. None of the usual complainants against police violence have been heard from—not the Rev. Jesse Jackson nor the Rev. Al Sharpton. Not even the NAACP or the ACLU. Nor for that matter have the hordes of defenders of Trayvon Martin been heard from.

The only voices of protest have come from the Washington Times editorial board and from two writers at the American Spectator—now there are three. This strikes me as exceedingly strange. Are we going to forego a scrupulous investigation? How long will the conspiracy of silence last? Is the entire country going to participate in it?

Read more:

http://www.nysun.com/national/astoni...g-death/88446/
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-11-13 at 04:32 AM.

This whole country is ransacked with hypocrites. Not only that, humans have absolutely no ability to interpret nuance. Everything fits nice and neatly into one box or the other. People piss and moan all day long about other people pissing and moaning, then when other people aren't pissing and moaning, they complain about the lack of pissing and moaning. Humans depress me more and more everyday. Especially considering I don't wake up in the morning with a high regard for their intelligence to begin with.

When in doubt, kill.
    That's what the Government does.

Say it ain't so... I thought all the hypocrites came from one convenient prescribed box? Awesome points!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    This whole country is ransacked with hypocrites. Not only that, humans have absolutely no ability to interpret nuance.

She was an African American mother.
    Was the shooter white?
    Quick, let's call Reverend Al and Reverend Jessie and start a race riot.

^^^ I certainly would not advocate a race riot, but no worries there, this incident does not fit the precise criteria worthy of much of any response.

The 'silence' [[to not even demand a further investigation, or make a statement) is loud and very clear. Further, there seems to be little concern about the silence.

I suppose this case is, as they say 'closed'... well, OK then......
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-16-13 at 10:58 AM.

5 White House 'Attacks' That Didn't End In The Suspects Getting Killed

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4045103.html

The 'silence' [[to not even demand a further investigation, or make a statement) is loud and very clear.
    But why are people complaining about the silence? She WAS in the commission of a crime. Trayvon was just walking home from the store minding his own business. Yup, wait. Now I see it. There's a black victim, so I guess they are both exactly the same incident. Silly me.

And I love people like Papasito who swear there is not, nor was there ever, any racism in this country. Of course, people like Papasito are the first ones to condemn the supposedly biased left wing media for reporting negative incidents of black conservatives, and then label the media racist. However, they never call the supposedly biased left wing media racist when they report the exact same type of negative incidents against a white conservative.

MSNBC reports on Newt Gingrich cheating on former wife = typical left wing bias against conservatives / no story here
    MSNBC reports on Herman Cain sexual harassment charges = RACIST LIBERAL MEDIA / THEY'RE ONLY TELLING THIS STORY BECAUSE THEY HATE BLACK CONSERVATIVES / WOE IS ME / FIRE!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!! OMG
    [[disclaimer: even though the reported on Newt's sexual indiscretions too, but that had nothing to do with race)

But there is NO distinction between whites and blacks, NONE.

The fact that Papasito makes those distinctions prove he knows there is a difference between the treatment of blacks and whites in society, all while claiming there is no difference in treatment. Now he's so concerned about Miriam, a mentally ill woman killed in the commission of a crime. However, Trayvon was just some worthless thug that society is better off without. See my last post in this thread. People are awfully curious, never happy about anything.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; November-16-13 at 07:51 AM.

Miriam Carey's lockbox held passport, foreign currency

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10...ncy-95059.html
    The stuff in her safety deposit box seems normal. I wonder why the headline. A few years ago, near where I live, the police cornered an old coot and burned his house down. At least two helicopters were involved. The headlines were that he had an arsenal and the police found a box of dimes. The arsenal consisted of one hunting rifle and a .22, pretty normal for rural residents. This lockbox headline seemed similarly pathetic.

5 White House 'Attacks' That Didn't End In The Suspects Getting Killed

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4045103.html
    Examples from the 1970's-90's and all before the 9/11 attacks. Like it or not, things are different today. This woman ran into a Secret Service agent with her car, led police on a chase while attempting to run through multiple barricades and refused to follow orders once her vehicle was stopped. No one on the scene knew of her mental illness, knew that there was a baby in the car or if she was armed, alone or possibly a suicide bomber with a car full of explosives. I really do feel sorry for the young woman and her child as she obviously needed help. I don't fault her for something that she probably could not control, but I don't blame the police and Secret Service agents for using lethal force when this easily could have been a serious threat.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-17-13 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast