Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Future of The Villages [[Indian Village, West Village, etc)

What do you think the future holds for The Villages? Including Indian Village, West Village, East Village, Berry Sub, Gold Coast and Islandview. Also, the future of Jefferson Avenue commercial district, the Kercheval/Parker commercial district, what do you think?

I just started volunteering/interning at the The Villages CDC and just looking to hear what residents and community members think of the future prospects for the neighborhoods, or ideas to help make it grow.

side note, my friend and I went to Detroit Vegan Soul yesterday on Agnes, and it was awesome! Highly recommend going, and taking a walk around the neighborhood.

I think the future is [[finally) looking up for the whole area. The renovation of the Alden Park and the pop-up Tashmoo beer garden are both part of the beginning of an upward trend.

French: if you're interning for the the Villages, do you know anything about the rehab grant mentioned in this recent Curbed story?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/categories/west_village.php

FYI, I used to live on Parker and try to keep up with the goings on in the Villages.

Welcome to our Villages. West Village and Indian Village get the lions share of attention from your org. That's ok we muddle along and I should point out that there are many faith based and other orgs that operate here in Islandview. Make it a point to reach out to these other groups. Some real amazing talent.
    Last edited by sumas; October-04-13 at 06:54 PM. Reason: correction

I'm only a 21 year old interning/volunteering with the Villages CDC, so if you have any suggestions, or projects to keep in mind, or general FAQ I should know, feel free to message me. I do attend WSU, and have been living in Midtown for 4 years, so still getting my feet wet in understanding our great city.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    I'm only a 21 year old interning/volunteering with the Villages CDC, so if you have any suggestions, or projects to keep in mind, or general FAQ I should know, feel free to message me. I do attend WSU, and have been living in Midtown for 4 years, so still getting my feet wet in understanding our great city.
    The corner of Kercheval and Parker has a couple of empty storefronts. Are any plans made for that area? I would love to see an Ice/Bakery Shop in the area as well as an antique/vintage shop where the residents of Indian village could sell any antique goods through. There was once a candy shop on the corner at one time

Being someone who is in their late 20s, I hear a lot of friends who are interested or have made the move to the Villages, for any number of reasons. Midtown/Downtown/Corktown/Woodbridge/etc can be a little too busy for some people, and the Villages seem to offer that "calmer" lifestyle, if you want to call it that. I can definitely see them taking off in a whole new way, as what they offer is something the areas I listed don't offer.

I think that the villages have the potential to be quaint and norman rockwellish with their turn of the century homes and to the street storefronts. The development of Agnes Street is a plus but I would still love to see the development of Kercheval between Seyburn to Parker. That stretch would make a good retail district with art galleries, boutiques, a bakery/café and a vintage shop