Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Eviction Defense

This is an amazing group of people dedicated to keeping owner occupied homes, occupied. They deal with tax/mortgage issues. Attorneys volunteer time. Fund raisers, demonstrations, etc. Best organized and effective group I've seen that makes a real impact. They saved two homes in my area alone this past 6 months.

Meetings are at St John St Luke @ 6pm on Thursdays located just south of Gratiot on Russell near Eastern market. If you have an interest or a need for help, please attend. Sumas

Sumas
    Is it every thursday? If so I would be attending tomorrow as I have an issue that I think the group should hear.

Yes every Thursday. Enter through the parking lot door on the south side. Usually 2 to 5 attorney's are there to speak to your issues. On a broader level if issues are huge, fund raisers, bank demonstrations etc get addressed.

Just had a second fund raiser for Mr Jackson. He needed cash to resolve his problem. He keeps his home now!

This is an effective well run group. One hour is spent regarding tax foreclosure and one hour on mortgage foreclosure. They adopt individual causes. I am hard to impress and this group and what they do just blows me away.

We had a huge tax issue when we inherited our home. On our own and two years later, things got resolved, sure wish I knew about this group back then.

Sounds like a great group. Instead of just protesting default foreclosures, they're actually doing things to fix and help people.

A great group of people engaged in a campaign that makes a real difference in saving endangered pieces of our city's built heritage, and most importantly in helping people to stay in their homes and avoid homelessness.

This group is nation wide. Very effective voices. Me, I am a two bit player, I usually attend for a bit, contribute a bit, donate food for fund raisers etc. Told our retired pastor I actually give more to this group then to the church. But then I think, the mission of this group is dear to my heart. There but for the grace of God go I.

We had/have a friend, a Harvard graduate, fell on bad times, we supported him for 2 1/2 yrs and others for a significant time also. He spent a few years in homeless shelters too. Most of them suck huge eggs. They collect money from the state but provide no beds and no food. Complete nightmare. They turn people out at 8 am and no one can return until 6 pm. No worry to them if temps are close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    A great group of people engaged in a campaign that makes a real difference in saving endangered pieces of our city's built heritage, and most importantly in helping people to stay in their homes and avoid homelessness.
    Thank you for being sensitive! So many folk are in harms way. Good people do get screwed all the time. I want my neighbors to stay put. It makes social and economic sense.

I think they do a lot of good things, but a lot of the leadership is really radical and it's turned a handful of people off that I personally know that could have been really helpful, and who knows how many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I think they do a lot of good things, but a lot of the leadership is really radical and it's turned a handful of people off that I personally know that could have been really helpful, and who knows how many others.
    Yes you are right, many are anarchists. I just look at the good done.

Same. Like I said, I think they do a lot of good things, and if you net it out, I think there's no question that they bring a lot more positive to the table than negative.

I just hope that by being so radical that they don't turn off too many people that could help them be even *more* effective in their mission. I count myself among those that looked into DED but chose to dedicate my time and money to other causes.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you for being sensitive! So many folk are in harms way. Good people do get screwed all the time. I want my neighbors to stay put. It makes social and economic sense.
    I wish there was an "I Agree" button on this site. I understand why it's impractical and can't be done, but posts like this deserve more than a few votes.

The DED is championing a Mr. Hernandez over in SW Detroit. The DED narrative is that he lost his job, went into foreclosure, tried to work with someone who turned out to be a scammer who took $15,000 cash to make a new mortgage and ran off,; now Bank is making Hernandez pay off his original $40,00 loan to keep his house, etc. House no longer worth $40,000, so really unfair.

That may all be true - I have no idea and only his version.

But any one can look up the property records on the Wayne County website and see that around about 2010, Hernandez bought a second home on Chamberlain for $11,000 and just last year, at the height of the battle with the Bank foreclosing, he deeded that Chamberlain property in a quit-claim deed to a relative [[possibly his daughter).

Makes you wonder.

Too bad they couldn't have helped the thousands of people that have already lost their homes to shady banks and mortgage companies. Nothing was available to them when the crisis hit it's peak. They are left to start over with no assistance. Damn shame.

Interesting point SWMAP. Most likely a good explanation exists. Charming family, we were a part of an on going vigil at their home today. They expect the bailiff any day now. Teachers were coming from the middle school that two daughters attend. Neighbors came, suburbanites came in.

The commitment of the group is unwavering.