Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Let's Talk About This Year's New Michigan License Plates

If you didn't know, this year, two new plates debuted at roadways throughout Michigan. Both new plates feature the state's tourism slogan logo.

The first one, introduced in late March, is similar to the old 2007 base, but the blue bar has been moved to the bottom, changed shapes and now reads "michigan.org". These plates began in the "DAA" series [[continuing from the 2007 plates) and have already reached the upper "DBx" alphabet.

The second one, introduced in late August, features a sunset over the Mackinac Bridge, as mentioned at the bottom. This Mackinac Bridge rendition is more accurately drawn than it's older "Great Lakes Splendor" rendition and begins in the "AAA" series. All plates of this type I've seen so far began with "AAx".

Do you think these two plates are better or worse than the older Michigan plates? Plus, in case Lowell does get a new plate, I am posting suggestions for both types.

Name:  DYpurmi.gif
Views: 4286
Size:  15.9 KB
    Name:  DYmacbrdg.gif
Views: 8967
Size:  34.6 KB

Sigh... I don't know why we can't have a catchy motto... like the [[rejected) one for Wisconsin... "Smell our Dairy Air!"...

So glad they brought some color out! Saw my first bridge plate and had to do a double take.

And no snide DET NO joke plates either!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sigh... I don't know why we can't have a catchy motto... like the [[rejected) one for Wisconsin... "Smell our Dairy Air!"...
    There's coffee coming out of my nose......

Count me as one who misses the simpleness of the old blue plates and maybe a few options [[military or university notations on the plate). I cannot even fathom placing one of those garish, multi-coloured, plates on my vehicle. With each state seemingly having their own 50 or so wildly different plate designs, it seems to defeat the purpose of moving away from the old basic stamped plates - better identification and saved costs.

And where is the state of PureMichigan? It's also pretty silly to print state government or state tourism websites on plates. Just bring back the simple plate below and for those who want to chose life, or save animals, etc - just get a bumper sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
    Count me as one who misses the simpleness of the old blue plates and maybe a few options [[military or university notations on the plate). I cannot even fathom placing one of those garish, multi-coloured, plates on my vehicle. With each state seemingly having their own 50 or so wildly different plate designs, it seems to defeat the purpose of moving away from the old basic stamped plates - better identification and saved costs.

And where is the state of PureMichigan? It's also pretty silly to print state government or state tourism websites on plates. Just bring back the simple plate below and for those who want to chose life, or save animals, etc - just get a bumper sticker.

The Nerd,
    Right on! I even have my ol' Blue in the garage, hanging on a nail like a portrait. BTW, you ain't Snyder? ie The Nerd moniker

When I 1st started seeing the new White plates, I thought they were Ontario plates. Took me a few weeks to realize we are not being invaded by Canadians, but that there is a new Michigan plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ImHere View Post
    When I 1st started seeing the new White plates, I thought they were Ontario plates. Took me a few weeks to realize we are not being invaded by Canadians, but that there is a new Michigan plate.
    I am constantly mixing up those new white Michigan plates for Ontario plates. I would bet that others have the same confusion too. Perhaps they were designed by folks from another part of the state where they don't have so many 'foreign invaders.'

I still have my copy of ol' blue [[reconfigured into a hat rack), and of the the glorious 1976 bicentennial plate that once graced my 1967 Ford pickup. Unlike that gaudy and pretty ugly new bridge plate, it managed to be colorful and distinctive while still maintaining simplicity and readability.

For my Dad's 80th birthday a few years back now, I was able to get him a copy of the wonderfully straight-forward 1925 Michigan plate in celebration of his birth place and year.

Last edited by EastsideAl; October-02-13 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I still like D.C.'s Taxation Without Representation plate.

I am a fan of the old plates. Give me a simple blue with 'Great Lakes' and I am happy. My current plate is the 100 year of the Model T. It is turning to crap. When I put the sticker on it this week I realized that I should have replaced the whole plate. Well maybe next year.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-02-13 at 11:36 AM.

Hate them both. Give me the old 1983 white on blue or the Spectacular Peninsulas plates any day.

I was thinking of The Nerd's comment about older plates. I really liked the plates of the mid 50's when they were Maize and Blue then Green and White, if only because I remember my dad's irritation at having to put a green and white plate on the car.

And I miss the "Water Wonderland" [[or to lesser degree "Winter-Water Wonderland") slogan.

Got'um all in my Nevada home from 1910 to date. Here's 1910 to 2000. The latest 13 years are on another wall in the garage; ran out of room. I'm able to keep up to date thanks to Ebay.

I thought there was a bit of push back from law enforcement regarding the proliferation of these novelty plates? IIRC it was getting confusing with every state having 25 different styles of plates for the charitable cause/school/service du jour?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I thought there was a bit of push back from law enforcement regarding the proliferation of these novelty plates? IIRC it was getting confusing with every state having 25 different styles of plates for the charitable cause/school/service du jour?

You're absolutely right, but they are money makers for both the states and the cause du jour. Money talks louder than cops.

I have always been amazed at how often Michigan plates change. It never occurred to me it was a money maker. Here in Ontario our plates have barely ever changed. The slogan "keep it beautiful" was added around 1972 when stickers started. In the late 80's the slogan changed to the present "yours to discover." The blue on white hasn't changed since about 1970 either.

1) The bridge plate looks a lot better in person than in print.
    The fact that it is AAx ### right now makes it easy to remember as well.

2) Quebec seems to have the simplest plates of all- no vanity plates, no stickers on the plate, and no real changes to the plate since 1978.

3) The blue plates were the last plates in the US to not have the reflective film from 3M placed on the plate. Glass beads were put in the white paint to make it reflective. I think Michigan could allow many of them back [[or have a special replica series). Delaware allows low numbered plates to use the methods used when that plate was introduced- porcelain or riveted steel numbers. Michigan could sell the rights to plates 1-999999 and allow certain numbers to be made like older Michigan plates.

They preach legibility and come out with these things? I seen one in person and its "busy". I still like it though and will probably get one. Also all these new plates with the clearcoat that begins to peel after a few years...WTH? You never had issues with the old blue ones! I'd love to have an old "spirit" plate too!

I'd pay $50 extra for the 1980s black tags with white letters. That design featured an extra serving of badass.

someone somewhere decided license plates should be advertisements for the state

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    someone somewhere decided license plates should be advertisements for the state

In Michigan, that someone was Secretary of State Owen Cleary, who launched this contest in 1954, to put a motto on the plates.... http://www.hal.state.mi.us/mhc/autos...ates/1954.html

I kind of like Inland Empire....

Quote Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post

Well, in some sort, this plate is still being used today! How I knew: a few weeks back, I saw a recently-taken newspaper photo [[think it was from the Associated Press, but definitely a wire photo) that showed the back of a sheriff patrol car in Ionia County [[on the state's west side) and the license plate was the sheriff variation of this plate.

UPDATE: I browsed through the above link and the base is actually black.

I'm not that familiar with the "Pure Michigan" slogan, but I gather from other posts that it's from some kind of corresponding tourism ad campaign. At any rate, it's awful. "Pure" is a nebulous, subjective adjective that communicates absolutely nothing about the state's greatest and most obvious asset--laying claim to 4 of the 5 Great Lakes as its shoreline. . .not that difficult to figure out, Lansing.

The former "Great Lakes", "Water Wonderland", "The Great Lakes State" [[IMO the best), "Winter Water Wonderland" are all far Superior [ba-dum-dum]

The ads seen here in Las Vegas for the "Pure Michigan" campaign have been beautiful and enticing, to say the least. Those, along with the "Pure Michigan" logo on the Tiger's dugout make me long for my native state.

Those new orange Michigan plates, look like they belong out west somewhere, like Arizona or New Mexico. Not a good look to me.

I think the Mighty Mac plates would look better if the Pure Michigan words were not in a white box. They should've printed it right on the plate. It's about time though that Michigan get in the game with the scenic specialty plates. After seeing what other states have had, I thought ours were boring, plus we get some extra revenue for the state.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast