Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tom Barrow for Mayor: Meet and Greet

I just confirmed a meet and greet with Tom Barrow on 7/22/2009 between 7pm-9pm. The event will take place at the Woodbridge Pub at 5169 Trumbull. It is an informal event, so come express your concerns and hear what Mr Barrow has to say about the future of Detroit, and plans he will put forth.

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

In boxing lingo when the champ needs somebody, anybody to step in the ring with him so he can have a payday they get whats called an "opponent" . Thats all Mr. Barrow is , a challenger so Mr. Bing won't have to run against himself.

Barrow has appointed two security guards to shadow him at all times. Anyone who thinks he's important enough to have security detail before he's even mayor is not getting my vote. And did we all forget this guy served time for tax evasion? Nothing like business as usual in Detroit!

MIRepublic Guest

I don't know about anyone else, but in a democracy, I think it's bad for anyone for any reason to ever run unopposed. That Tom Barrow [[and the rest) are running is a good thing, not a bad thing.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; July-14-09 at 08:56 PM.

Barrow is the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Barrow has appointed two security guards to shadow him at all times. Anyone who thinks he's important enough to have security detail before he's even mayor is not getting my vote. And did we all forget this guy served time for tax evasion? Nothing like business as usual in Detroit!
    1. Tom Barrow came to an event in the Warrendale neighborhood last month. He only had 1 person with him. [[I wouldn't even call it a "security guard".)
    2. It's not unusual for political candidates to have someone with them. Once upon a time, I used to be one of the people assigned to staff a candidate.
    3. While Mr. Barrow did serve time, it should also be pointed out that his conviction was overturned on appeal. The entire case was thrown out of court.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    1. Tom Barrow came to an event in the Warrendale neighborhood last month. He only had 1 person with him. [[I wouldn't even call it a "security guard".)
    2. It's not unusual for political candidates to have someone with them. Once upon a time, I used to be one of the people assigned to staff a candidate.
    3. While Mr. Barrow did serve time, it should also be pointed out that his conviction was overturned on appeal. The entire case was thrown out of court.

The fraud conviction was thrown out. Are you sure that the tax evasion conviction was thrown out as well?

Check out his website, the tax evasion was thrown out. He gives details about the case on his website. If still have doubts you will be able to conduct your own legal research.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Check out his website, the tax evasion was thrown out. He gives details about the case on his website. If still have doubts you will be able to conduct your own legal research.
    I just looked it up. He was convicted on 12 counts, not all of them were thrown out. The tax evasion still stands.

For those wishing to become better informed on what the facts are, please read the following:

http://www.anewvisionfordetroit.com/...nd_Opinion.pdf

http://www.anewvisionfordetroit.com/...d_Complete.pdf

http://www.anewvisionfordetroit.com/...raw_Story2.pdf

And the accusations have HARDLY been kept quiet, as is evident here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmGP9...e=channel_page

EastSider Guest

Yay Detroit!

How bizarrely sad that we're debating whether a mayoral candidate's criminal charges were overturned.

In the meantime, somebody ask Barrow at every Meet and Greet his options for cutting the budget since he insists on keeping the "jewel" of Cobo's $15 million annual operating deficit. How many cops would that $15 million put on the street?

Bump for tonight's event.

Tom Barrow couldn't even hold a political candle against Bing. Barrow will be stomped out in no time.