Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default State of Michigan has signed a lease for Belle Isle

Per DetNews mobile update. No article yet.

Edit: Here's the article...

Detroit council: State has signed Belle Isle lease

Detroit — The state and city have signed an agreement for the lease of Belle Isle, City Council members said Tuesday at the start of the council’s session.

Detroit City Council members say they’ve been told that the deal was signed Tuesday with Gov. Rick Snyder’s office.

“We’re supposed to be getting the lease today, but it’s not on our agenda,” City Council President Saunteel Jenkins told her colleagues, following an inquiry about the deal from member JoAnn Watson. “Under Public Act 436, contracts can be signed. My expectation is we will be getting the lease and once we get it, we can set up a discussion here at this table.”

A prior proposal to lease the island sparked an outcry from residents and divided the council before the panel ultimately voted 6-3 against placing the controversial proposal on a January agenda. The decision prompted Snyder to withdraw the offer.

The agreement would have freed up $6.2 million in annual operating costs for the city. It called for a lease of 30 years at a time, with an option for the city or state to opt out in 10-year increments.

The state’s 2014 fiscal year budget, which began Tuesday, contains $2.5 million for “potential state management of Belle Isle,” according to a memo from nonpartisan Senate Fiscal Agency.

After city leaders balked at the state's original offer to lease the island park, Snyder included $3.7 million in his proposed 2014 budget in February, saying at the time he wanted “to send the message that we were quite serious about Belle Isle.”

Watson on Tuesday argued that there should be no lease because Belle Isle is considered a city asset and should be frozen due to the city’s pursuit of bankruptcy.

“Belle Isle is an asset paid for by the city of Detroit,” she said.
    Bill Nowling, a spokesman for Detroit’s emergency manager Kevyn Orr, could not be immediately reached on Tuesday.
    Last edited by artds; October-01-13 at 10:22 AM.

Ummmmm, Ms Watson, our governor is not going to tow Belle Isle up to Traverse City. It will still be there as an asset for residents of Michigan [[including Detroit). It will just be under new [[and hopefully more competent) management.

I have stated my desire for a State takeover of Belle Isle...so I am kinda optimistic [[though I do wish the State wasn't so focused on JUST Belle Isle & would take the same interest in other city parks). However, can someone explain why it costs the city $6.2 million/year to maintain, yet the State has $2.5 million budgeted for next year? Are regular maintenance costs [[$6.2 million) part of the State Parks budget & the $2.5 million separate upkeep? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I have stated my desire for a State takeover of Belle Isle...so I am kinda optimistic [[though I do wish the State wasn't so focused on JUST Belle Isle & would take the same interest in other city parks). However, can someone explain why it costs the city $6.2 million/year to maintain, yet the State has $2.5 million budgeted for next year? Are regular maintenance costs [[$6.2 million) part of the State Parks budget & the $2.5 million separate upkeep? Or something else?
    Maybe the state plans to hire workers instead of friends and family.

HALLELUJAH!!!!! Zug has an excellent point about the costs, though. More details are expected to be announced today. Can that budget include upgrades/maintenance for the aquarium and conservatory? That would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Ummmmm, Ms Watson, our governor is not going to tow Belle Isle up to Traverse City.
    This made me laugh.

I'm all for this and pleased. Does anyone know if this is going to fall under the DNR's jurisdiction? I don't want them doing anything stupid to it, like covering it in concrete and running a faux Grand Prix on it.

From Rochelle Riley's article earlier in the week on this....
    I could support a state lease of Belle Isle as long as there are protections in it for the City of Detroit and very clear performance criteria,” said council President Saunteel Jenkins.
    She also said Belle Isle would need to be different from other state parks.

“We need to make sure the rules at Belle Isle make sense for a large urban park because those that need that park and the people frequenting the park will be different than those at other state parks,” she said.
    I would have liked to hear some follow up on that quote. Exactly what is the difference between those who frequent Belle Isle over your regular run of the mill Metro Park goer? What "rules" need to be adjusted?

It would be nice if they wouldn't hassle those who have their business meetings in the full moon over 40s of beer.

Pretty sure that wouldn't happen in a State Park.

I expect to see harrassment of simple fisherman and daily walkers and those just wanting to bring the family onto the same island their grandparents took them as kids. It won't be the same way, without having to pay or do anything different.

Kiss that all goodbye if this gem becomes a State Park.
    Last edited by Gannon; October-01-13 at 12:53 PM.

I'm all for this and pleased. Does anyone know if this is going to fall under the DNR's jurisdiction? I don't want them doing anything stupid to it, like covering it in concrete and running a faux Grand Prix on it.

That's what's to watch. I'm sure there is some private company interested in doing something for capitol gain. They will probably get a great deal and hire their own friends and family. :-)

Maybe they can clean the place up and keep it from getting run down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I expect to see harrassment of simple fisherman and daily walkers and those just wanting to bring the family onto the same island their grandparents took them as kids. It won't be the same way, without having to pay or do anything different.

Kiss that all goodbye if this gem becomes a State Park.
    This is great man. Keep up the Joanne Watson, grape-throwing, protect-my-precious-jewels bullstuff. Its not like the City of Detroit has neglected the park or doesn't have the budget to properly not only maintain the park itself, but maintain the facilities and safety of those who use the park on a regular basis.

Seriously, once they announce more details, all I care about is that they put into that park every cent it deserves. If Belle Isle is the jewel of Detroit, why does everyone get so upset when presented with a solution to make it shine like the beautiful gem it really is?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    This is great man. Keep up the Joanne Watson, grape-throwing, protect-my-precious-jewels bullstuff. Its not like the City of Detroit has neglected the park or doesn't have the budget to properly not only maintain the park itself, but maintain the facilities and safety of those who use the park on a regular basis.

Seriously, once they announce more details, all I care about is that they put into that park every cent it deserves. If Belle Isle is the jewel of Detroit, why does everyone get so upset when presented with a solution to make it shine like the beautiful gem it really is?
    Please reread my post, I'm not upset @ all.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Please reread my post, I'm not upset @ all.
    From everything I read before and after, this will be a state park which is run exclusively by the DNR. I totally understand being worried about other entities possibly ruining what Belle Isle has, but the DNR has a great, if not fantastic, track record of doing great work to make our state parks beautiful.

From everything I read before and after, this will be a state park which is run exclusively by the DNR. I totally understand being worried about other entities possibly ruining what Belle Isle has, but the DNR has a great, if not fantastic, track record of doing great work to make our state parks beautiful.
    Ruining what Belle Isle has? What does it have that the city hasn't already let go?!

Seriously though, it's not like the State can move the island [[already mentioned, I know). I don't know what the big fuss is about. When it comes to a lot of these Detroit "assets," they are all about as bad as they can get. Personally, I would much rather have a park in good condition, than even give the tiniest shit about who controls it.

This is great man...why does everyone get so upset when presented with a solution to make it shine like the beautiful gem it really is?
    Yield it to another governmental authority or privatize it...neither of those is a solution at all, merely the foregone conclusions of the ones who designed the take-over.

Thanks for being part of the dismantling of Detroit. Cheer on.

Yield it to another governmental authority or privatize it...neither of those is a solution at all, merely the foregone conclusions of the ones who designed the take-over.

Glad to be a part of it, I guess? Keep creating jobs by keeping those grape growers busy!

I totally agree. I'd rather have the DNR take care of it then privatize it.

What part of "lease" confuses people?

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/1...ual-entry-fee/

The emergency manager law, Public Act 436, gives the city council 10 days to reject the lease. If it’s rejected, the council has a week to offer an alternative plan that rakes in just as much savings.

I wonder what the state could do to screw up Belle Isle?

Lets see.............

1. They could close down the stables and the horse & buggy/horse and sleigh rides.
    2. They could eliminate the canoe rentals and trash the boat house.
    3. They could close the aquarium and conservatory.
    4. They could eliminate the Belle Isle zoo.

See all of the nasty things the state could do to Belle Isle!

So does this announcement permanently sink that goofy Commonwealth proposal?

http://www.freep.com/article/2013100...ase-state-deal

The state of Michigan will lease Detroit’s signature park, Belle Isle, for 30 years, with two optional 15-year renewals in a deal that will ensure at least $10 million in investment in the island’s aging infrastructure and keeps the park under city ownership, Mayor Dave Bing’s office confirmed this afternoon.
    Stealing our precious jewels with optional leases and $10 million in investments. THOSE MONSTERS. Also note, DNR head did have to sign on this deal, meaning yes, DNR is in charge of Belle Isle unless the council comes up with a better plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So does this announcement permanently sink that goofy Commonwealth proposal?
    No. Technically, the City Council and Mayor could reject the State's offer within 10 days and accept the Commonwealth proposal as one which would offer equal or greater annual savings.

All that time wasted by the "Clownsil". This should have been done the first time it was offered, and maybe there would already be park improvements.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast