Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit City General Election:11/5/13 - Vote doesn't mean a damn thing but...

I'm starting with city wide and then try to break down the district races in subsequent posts.

Might be a little difficult. Hard to find info on the candidates for police commission. The Detroit election page is a mess, and the mainstream media isn't one iota better.

MAYOR

Not gonna spend too much time on this. Story has been beaten to death.

Michael Duggan vs Benny Napoleon

I'm going for Mike, but I'm sure either will be better than the absolute fucking GARBAGE we've had sitting in office since May 09.

City Clerk

Janice Winfrey

She crushed the field. Her nearest competition who she'll be going against in the general

D. Etta Wilcoxon

I didn't vote for either of these people. I've been openly critical of Winfrey's many, many fuckups in this election.

HOWEVER...I'm gonna have to vote for her in November. When the choice is horseshit or cowshit, whatcha gonna do?

Interesting thread title Brizee

Thread title = wrong. This vote is as important as any ever held. During challenging times leadership is crucial.

Sure, the office doesn't have spending authority. But there's more to do in Detroit than spend. Leadership matters a lot.

City Council At-Large

Incumbents ruled the day

Saunteel Jenkins

Brenda Jones

The establishment will be going up against.

David Bullock

Roy Mcallister

I don't want to vote for any incumbents. And I def won't be voting for anyone that went along with the consent decree. I don't really want to vote for a preacher either.

I suppose it's going to be McCallister and reluctantly Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    City Council At-Large

Incumbents ruled the day

Saunteel Jenkins

Brenda Jones

The establishment will be going up against.

David Bullock

Roy Mcallister

I don't want to vote for any incumbents. And I def won't be voting for anyone that went along with the consent decree. I don't really want to vote for a preacher either.

I suppose it's going to be McCallister and reluctantly Jones.
    You could just NOT vote for that section.

HOWEVER...I'm gonna have to vote for her in November. When the choice is horseshit or cowshit, whatcha gonna do?
    Horse shit is much easier to clean up than cow shit

District 1

City Council

James Tate

Incumbents ran wild this year, and this was no exception.

Wanda Jan Hill

District 1 was pretty stacked with talent from what I could tell. Again I wouldn't vote for an incumbent but that's just my opinion.

Police Commisioner

Alvin Bowman

He was the only candidate. No primary, unopposed.

Special shoutout to the Detroit city website and both dailies for thier lack of coverage on the commisioner's race.

ummm jenkins all day, she gets it

District 2

City Council

George Cushingberry

The frontrunner. He won with a comfortable but no nearly insignificant over several candidates.

Richard Bowers

District 2 is another one spoiled for choice. I voted Bowers, but I wouldn't have a problem either way.

Police Commissioner

Wendell Byrd
    N/A

James Knox
    N/A

Only two candidates so there was no primary. Finding information is like plucking teeth. Freep/detnews, great job.

District 3

City Council

Scott Benson

[[Helpful if the picture is actually of him. Thanks)
    Frontrunner with another decent but not unbeatable lead.

Francine Adams

Police Commissioner

Reginald Crawford
    No pic.

Jerome Record
    No pic.

No primary again.
    Last edited by brizee; September-30-13 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Thread title = wrong. This vote is as important as any ever held. During challenging times leadership is crucial.

Sure, the office doesn't have spending authority. But there's more to do in Detroit than spend. Leadership matters a lot.
    Entirely agreed, WM. First, the city's elected leaders will still be instrumental in restructuring government. As has been noted here, Kevin Orr's job- love him or hate him- is not to fix our city. It is to put the government's affairs in order, and the associated policies and programs that are a part of that. Then he will go away, almost certainly before the next mayor & council's terms are over. Second, when he does go away, our elected leaders are back in charge. I am hoping that they are both stronger and more constructive than their predecessors were. And I hope they realize Kevin Orr did a lot of the dirty work for them. Spending other people's [[or future resident's) money is the easiest thing in the world. Cutting is hard and painful and unpleasant and entirely necessary. I hope that they never take the easy way again.

District 4

City Council

Andre Spivey

Another triumphant incumbent. Hiss numbers however were not nearly as impressive as the others.

Bettie Cook Scott

No opinion on either. All incumbents get the fuck out however.

Police Commissioner

Willie Bell
    N/A

Henry Williams
    N/A

What! An actual primary? And it was pretty damn close too.

District 3

City Council

Scott Benson

Is this Angelo Henderson?

District 5

City Council

Adam Hollier

Mary Sheffield

Another close one [[decided by less than 60 votes). Besides one being a cutie-pie I don't see any huge diffrences [[of course not being my district I didn't look) and wouldn't have a huge problem with either.

Police Commissioner

Marcelus Brice

Willie Burton

A primary!? Pictures!?! Actual campaign material!?!?!?

I'm going to assume Mary Sheffield is related to Rev. Horace Sheffield [[daughter?), yes?

It's just a hunch of mine.

And as far as Adam Hollier, I guess the thrill of being the Communications Liaison for the Mayor has run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm going to assume Mary Sheffield is related to Rev. Horace Sheffield [[daughter?), yes?

It's just a hunch of mine.
    yes !! she is related

District 6

City Council

Raquel Castaneda-Lopez

Isaac Robinson

Another very close one. Lopez has a relationship with state rep Rashide Tlaib, which might soon be state senator Tlaib. Maybe something to consider?

Police Commissioner

Jim Holley
    N/A

Kevin Tolbert
    N/A

Only two candidates.

It is interesting that we could have our first Hispanic City Council member in the city of Detroit since forever.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    yes !! she is related
    Ah yes, that explains it. The Good Rev. pimps his sexy daughter [[versus his son who has the same name) to the male voters in his district to increase her chances of getting elected so he can use her as a tool to try and maintain what's left of the Kwame Kilpatrick stench.

EDIT: Mary is apparently a minister too.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-30-13 at 08:20 PM.

District 7

City Council

Gabriel Leland

Pretty solid but closeable gap.

John K. Bennet

Leland is a former state rep, Bennet is a veteran cop and muckraker. Career politician maybe with some rub? Or a political novice with experience on the front lines? No problem with either.

Police Commissioner

Ricardo Moore
    N/A

Tijuana Morris
    N/A

District 5
    Willie Burton

A primary!? Pictures!?! Actual campaign material!?!?!?
    i've even seen his signs around!

Nice work Brizee. You have done a good job of putting the spaces and faces together in a comprehensible, informative and, dare I say, breezy manner.

I do think votes make do make a damn thing, and a lot more. You obviously do too as you are both highly informed and active. Whenever I go to vote, especially if the weather sucks, I use my walking time to remember those who were denied the right to vote - women, the man without property, the slave, the illiterate, the Jim Crow law victims of all races who were [and arguably still are] being disenfranchised and finally the soldier painfully dying alone defending the right to vote that the soldier will never get to do again.

I don't favor a 'vote or get fined' law, like in Australia, but I would favor a rule, similar to what is done in some democracies, where if more than 60% of the electorate fails to vote, the election must be re-held perhaps with different candidates. Not voting would then be a vote.

As for Duggan vs. Napoleon, I think it is race between the best of those who chose to run and Detroit will be well-served by either.

Duggan has said they did approach him about being the EM.. all that's going to come out is that he was being considered and his name was on the list.. that's it... he admits they contacted him and he said flat out 'no'... he actually said he wants the emails and letters released to prove it

nothing is going to torpedo his campaign from that front

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast