Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Yacht moored across from the Boblo Boats

Does anyone have information about this old yacht moored across the basin from the Columbia and St. Claire at the Nicholson Terminal? It appears to be a turn-of-the century steel plated steamer, probably a private yacht from an auto baron. She's about 80-100 ft LOA.

Name:  Mail Attachment.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  28.8 KB
    Last edited by motownsteamer; September-29-13 at 07:15 PM. Reason: photo added

It's the Motor Yacht Helene. It was built at Defoe Shipbuilding in Bay City in 1926 for Charles Sorenson [[a Ford Executive). It most recently has been owned by Shamrock Chartering, owned by the Deane family of Nicholson Dock and Terminal. In recent years she has suffered from a fire and 2 sinkings. She was repaired from the fire and partially repaired from the first sinking. She was never a steamer and is powered by a Detroit 71 Series Diesel engine.

Thanks for the info! Any picture/info sources you could recommend?

Try a Google search. There's a lot of info [[to much to post) on the Helene. There's a picture and some info here, for example:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1570073

There are 2 nice photos on the boatnerd site [[www.boatnerd.com), under the "Photo Galleries" link, in the "Ferries and Passenger Ships" section. It's a shame someone doesn't have the interest and $$ to restore this beauty.

I was lucky enough to be a guest on the Helene back in the early 70's. It was at that time owned by the uncle of a friend of mine, and docked down by the Roostertail. He was an insurance executive named C.M Verbiest [[sp?). Watched the Gold Cup hydroplane races from her deck. I felt SO out of place. Everyone except me and my friend were wearing white pants and either a dressy blouse or shirt and sports jacket. Uniformed crew served drinks, appetizers and then a main meal. I was blown away by how nice the area below deck was. If memory serves me correctly, the Helene is 108 feet long.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; October-03-13 at 09:31 PM.

Default Couldn't see the photo

Couldn't see the photo from the original post...link was something about a mail attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Couldn't see the photo from the original post...link was something about a mail attachment.
    I can see that photo but you're not missing much. The other photos are better. I think I found it in Google Maps.