Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Every closed-up fast food place in Detroit

I've been working for years now on a list of every closed-up fast food place and chain restaurant in Michigan. You can view the list here: http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgott...er/former.html

I'd like to know if I've missed anything so far, especially with the more prominent chains like Burger King, McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc., and the chains that had a lot of early closures like Rax, A&W, Arthur Treacher's, Hardee's, Jack in the Box, etc. Also sit-down chains like Big Boy.

I'm also looking for confirmation that the St. Clair Shores Tim Hortons was once Hardee's. I know it was a Burger Chef at one point, so I'd assume it was also a Hardee's if it became a Tim Hortons.

Also, some of the mall-based locations would be good to know. For instance, I know that Fairlane Town Center once had an Arby's, and it seems it once had a Ponderosa for a short time, but I don't know where exactly either one was.

Just anything else that needs to be added would be good.

I just thought about it. There are no Taco Bell restaurants on the east side of Detroit, and no Arby's in the city of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    I've been working for years now on a list of every closed-up fast food place and chain restaurant in Michigan...
    Curious as to the purpose of this list

Just a side note... along E. Jefferson a bit east of Dickerson the Wendy's closed last month then the KFC across the way did two weeks ago. I here there's little traffic for food there in the evenings. Hence the ghost town status of that shopping area at Jefferson at St. Jean....

As far as closed Fast Food restaurant in Detroit, a few come to mind.

*Burger King on Warren just east of Conner [[now Parkside Liquor). It closed sometime in the 90s in favor of the Burger King ExpressWay concept store on Mack and Conner.

*McDonalds on Mack and Conner was originally located across the street at Waveney and Conner. The site it was on is actually a vacant lot now adjacent to the Latter Day Saints church, and it closed in the early 2000s.

*Burger King on Warren just east of Cadieux, closed sometime in the early 2010s [[maybe 2012?) and is now vacant.

*Dairy Queen on McNichols just west of Schoenherr [[Pelkey) closed before the summer of 2012 [[vacant, but apparently purchased by the daycare across the street for their private use).

*Dairy Queen on 7 Mile and Hamburg closed before the summer of 2013 [[now vacant).

*Domino's on Kercheval and Van Dyke closed sometime in the late 2000s [[now vacant).

*Domino's Pizza on Warren and Cadieux that closed before to become Benito's Pizza is now a Domino's again.

*Charley's Steakery in Eastland Center reopened in the new Food Court on the eastern side of the mall. As of 2012, it was still open.

*Cottage Inn Pizza closed in Lafayette Park back in the late 2000s in favor of the location downtown in the Compuware building.

*Cottage Inn Pizza had a short-lived location in Mack-Alter Sqaure [[Mack and Alter) that closed in the late 2000s.

*The Great Steak and Potato Company in Fairlane Town Center is still open.

*KFC on Gratiot and Harper closed in the Summer of 2013.

*The Little Caesars at 14152 Gratiot moved to the shopping center at 8 Mile and Gratiot.

*The Big Kmart on Outer Drive and Sherwood had a Little Caesars Pizza Station. It was shuttered along with the Kmart in the late 1990s.

*The Little Caesars on Mack and Somerset closed in 2011 or 2012.

*The Olga's Kitchen at Macomb Mall in Roseville was shuttered either in the late 2000s or the early 2010s [[last time I went there, it was closed).

*Papa John's on 9 Mile and Kelly in Eastpointe was shuttered in 2013.

*Schlotzsky's Deli [[which I vaguely remember) shuttered their location on Gratiot and Mt. Elliot in the late 1990s or early 2000s, now is home to New D-Town Deli.

*Subway [[the entire block of buildings between Eastwood and Fordham) on Gratiot and 7 Mile is now a vacant lot.

*TCBY Treats in East Brooke Commons [[9 Mile and Gratiot, Eastpointe) is now closed. It is either now home to a Chinese Food place called Panda, or a Big Time Popcorn place that's now vacant.

Wendy's on Warren just east of Alter Road, shuttered sometime in the 80s or 90s. It was home to Saranda's Coney Island, but is now vacant.

*Wendy's on Gratiot just south of 12 Mile was shuttered in the early or mid 2000s and is now home to Noni's Grille.

*Wendy's on I-696 and Groesbeck was shuttered in the early of mid 2000s. It then became home to Omega Coney Island, but recently is vacant.

*Dairy Queen on Warren just east of Dickerson was shuttered in the late 90s, and is vacant [[may have been demolished recently? not sure).

*Dunkin Donuts on 12 Mile and Gratiot in Roseville was shuttered in the mid 2000s, and is now either a cell phone place or vacant. It briefly become Detroit Donuts

*Dunkin Donuts on 13 Mile and Little Mack is now shuttered in the mid 2000s. It became Detroit Donuts but has been vacant recently along with the Gas Station it's attached to.

*Old Country Buffet on 15 Mile and Gratiot in Clinton Township closed in the late 2000s/early 2010s and is now I believe a Chinese/Japanese Buffet.

*Ponderosa Steakhouse on Greenfield and Michigan in Dearborn is closed as of 2013.

*Ponderosa Steakhouse on 8 Mile and Groesbeck [[in Warren) I believe is closed as of 2013.

*Top Hat Hamburger on McClellan and Gratiot in Detroit, now home to a Burger King ExpressWay concept store [[closed sometime in the 80s?).

*Top Hat Hamburgers on 8 Mile and Gratiot, now home to a Gulf Gas Station in Detroit.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-28-13 at 11:05 PM.

More:

*A&W on Hoover and Stephens in Warren closed sometime in the mid 2000s, it and the Citgo Gas Station is was attached to are both vacant.

*Burger King on 8 Mile just east of Kelly [[across from Eastland) in Eastpointe closed in 2011 and is now a used car dealership.

*Arby's on 8 Mile just east of Gratiot in Eastpointe is now a vacant lot.

*Dippin Dots on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods [[next to Little Caesars) was shuttered in the late 2000s and is now vacant.

*Quizno's on 10 Mile and Gratiot in Eastpointe was shuttered in the mid or late 2000s and is now vacant [[it was the site of a somewhat major murder case).

Only thing that comes to mind is the Dairy Queen at E. Warren & Marseilles, Detroit, closed about 2000.

Damn those Angelfire popup ads are annoying as Hell....

Also:

*Sign of the Beefcarver on 8 Mile and Kelly in Eastpointe was shuttered and demolished in the late 90s [[now a Walgreens).

*Seafood Bay [[I believe that was the name) on 8 Mile and Kelly in Detroit was shuttered in the late 1990s [[now home to Big 3 Auto Sales?).

*Seafood Bay [[see previous bullet in regards to name) on 8 Mile just west of Mound in Warren, next to the Pizza Hut, was shuttered in the late 1990s or early 2000s [[not sure what replaced it).

*Otto's Crispy Corn in downtown Detroit [[Woodward Avenue, either located IN the Broderick Tower or in the building just next to it) closed either in the 80s or 90s. Building is still vacant as of 2013.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-28-13 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Extreme boredom + fascination with the topic. My small town had a Domino's and TCBY both close when I was 5, then a town south of me had a Hardee's that sat vacant since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    *Charley's Steakery in Eastland Center reopened in the new Food Court on the eastern side of the mall. As of 2012, it was still open.
    I found this one interesting. As my notes say, I was at the mall in 2003, just after the old food court was ripped out but before the new one was put in, and I distinctly remember the old Hot Sam having a "Coming Soon: Charley's Steakery" sign on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Damn those Angelfire popup ads are annoying as Hell....
    Adblock is your friend.

I found this one interesting. As my notes say, I was at the mall in 2003, just after the old food court was ripped out but before the new one was put in, and I distinctly remember the old Hot Sam having a "Coming Soon: Charley's Steakery" sign on it.
    And now that you mention it, I saw your listing for Chester's Fried Chicken locations. Chester's briefly had a location in Eastland's new Food Court when it first opened, but it closed after a year. Subway is now in its place.

I know I added a lot of closings before, but this is something that interests me as well [[for nostalgia as well as record-keeping purposes). Your lists are actually quite extensive and impressive already.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-29-13 at 12:16 AM.

^ I thought the Eastland Chester's was in a different spot. An old leasing pamphlet on Jones Lang LaSalle's site lists both Subway and Chester's, but doesn't say where. I have Chester's in suite #719, the space between Subway and Charley's. One lease plan showed a Taco Bell in #719, oddly.

^ I thought the Eastland Chester's was in a different spot. An old leasing pamphlet on Jones Lang LaSalle's site lists both Subway and Chester's, but doesn't say where. I have Chester's in suite #719, the space between Subway and Charley's. One lease plan showed a Taco Bell in #719, oddly.
    You may be right. The Chester's may have been next to the Subway or the Charley's Steakery. If that's the case, then nothing's in its spot now [[it's been turned into a wall or another hallway). This was all several years ago though.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-29-13 at 12:53 AM.

Burger King was also on Gratiot just south of 12 Mile in Roseville, closed and demolished in the late 1990s [[corner of Gratiot and Florence, now a vacant lot).

And then there was a Johnny Rockets in downtown Detroit at 2239 Woodward Ave. It closed either in 2009 or 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I would imagine the quest of obtaining and sharing information on topics that are of interest to us!

On a separate note, Angelfire!? That reminds me of the days back when I was using AOL! It's been so long since I've seen someone use that site.

Fascinating list.

I'm also looking for confirmation that the St. Clair Shores Tim Hortons was once Hardee's. I know it was a Burger Chef at one point, so I'd assume it was also a Hardee's if it became a Tim Hortons.
    Are you talking about the one on Harper next to the car wash? I know they built that building as a Tim Horton's, but I don't remember there being a Hardees there before.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Are you talking about the one on Harper next to the car wash? I know they built that building as a Tim Horton's, but I don't remember there being a Hardees there before.
    No, it was a Hardee's at one point. i remember eating there.
    And I believe there is one Taco Bell on the Eastside, on Jefferson close to the Grosse Pointe border...unless that has closed as well.

You forgot Onasty's aka Onassis Coney. I believe Harper & Gratiot location was #1 or 2.

Top Hat not on the list. I would be curious to know those former locations. I remember one at Telegraph and Van Born in Taylor, now a Burger King

Good list:
    There was a Red Barn on Michigan Ave. near Central turned into auto sales
    Anybody remember seafood place called Hungry Penguin?

There were several Daly Drive-Ins in Detroit. Greenfield north of Joy. Plymouth at Burt. Warren at Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I just thought about it. There are no Taco Bell restaurants on the east side of Detroit, and no Arby's in the city of Detroit.
    The first Taco Bell I remember was on 9 mile just west of Kelly. This was an "original" Taco Bell, where there was a separate order and pick-up window inside the restaurant. The building is still there but it's something else now.

There's still one on Harper just north of Vernier.

Forgive me for asking tenpoundhammer but isn't this a depressing area for research. Why this particular area of interest?

There was a Jack in Box Restaurant on Woodward near Temple St. now a vacant lot.

Another one on Michigan Ave and Outer Drive Rd now a Tubby's

Plymouth Rd. and Evergreen Rd. now a Conley Island.

Ford Rd. and Wildwood St. Became a Sliverman's Restuarant now a Arab owned Cellular Shop.

One of Van Dyke Rd and 11 Mile Rd. [[ I-696) FWY now some restaurant.

On James Couzens near outer drive there was a Top Hat. I would say it closed in the 80's. The building is still there.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast