Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Went back to Southland yesterday and can officially confirm that Subway on the west court has closed, but they, along with Taco Bell [[who was kicked out to make room for H&M), will be back, according to a sign in the future theater wing.

In addition, the former Jack in the Box/Tubby's at Fort and Pennsylvania was, after Wireless Giant, a Metro PCS store and is now nearly completing a remodeling into Checker's [[the existing Wyandotte location will remain open, as far as I heard).
    Last edited by mtburb; August-04-15 at 09:35 PM.

^ So that means Taco Bell will have ended up occupying FOUR different spots in the mall? Strange.

Got this from this page:

"McDonald's plans to close about 700 stores this year and will shut down more stores than it opens in the U.S., something it hasn't done since at least 1970 and possibly in its entire corporate history. The company is reorganizing so it can respond more quickly to trends, cutting costs, and has eliminated a few hundred corporate jobs."

Article from which that came from: http://www.wsoctv.com/ap/ap/top-news/mcdonalds-will-launch-all-day-breakfast-on-oct-6/nnWhj/?ecmp=wsoctv_social_facebook_2014_sfp

I'm sure some of these will be in Metro Detroit...

There was a McDonald's at Harper and Harvard [[one block west of Cadieux). I remember the storm of 1991 that cut power to it for a week. The manager was livid because he lost a week of sales. The house on Harvard right behind that McDonalds burned down when live wires fell on it during that storm. In my youth, I would [[too frequently) go to the Rally's on Harper between Cadieux and Whittier. I know that closed, became something else, which I think also closed. Don't know what's there now. I also remember going to the Burger King on Warren, east of Cadieux. There was a Little Caesars in that area as well - my brother worked there for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Greek Pita, which replaced the ex-Subway at 3391 Fort Street in Wyandotte, became BB's Thai Food a couple months back.
    I remember in the late 80's or early 90's. My dad operated food concessions at the Wyandotte art fair and we'd always go out to eat at local restaurants after finishing for the day. One of our favorites was a place called Voula's [[sp?). One year, there was a huge fire that destroyed it and half the block. I think it was a Maple and Biddle. We were sad to see that place go - had a lot of good times there.

The Dairy Queen/Orange Julius kiosk at Southland has returned, but on the other side of Macy's this time.

https://www.facebook.com/ShopSouthla...type=3&theater

Also, the Compuware Building Olga's Kitchen closed a while ago.

The KFC at 8 Mile and Lahser [[22254 W. 8 Mile Rd. Southfield, MI 48034) closed within the last few months. Right now the site is vacant.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-10-15 at 07:57 PM.

Also, the Tim Hortons at Van Dyke & 9 Mile [[22600 Van Dyke Ave. Warren, MI 48089) was shuttered in late 2014 or early 2015. This site is also vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Also, the Tim Hortons at Van Dyke & 9 Mile [[22600 Van Dyke Ave. Warren, MI 48089) was shuttered in late 2014 or early 2015. This site is also vacant.
    Looking at historical Google Street View images of that location, I noticed that it has closed at least once before, as a 2007 image shows it to be vacant and boarded up.

Is Lafayette Coney Island still open? The "best" hot dogs!

Found a new site yesterday that gives out information on building ages across southeastern Michigan, including defunct fast-food buildings. Here is the site.

Information on when these buildings were built should be added to their respective listings under the fast-food chain they originally were, unless there was already a previous tenant before the first fast-food tenant.

Unfortunately, a number of buildings list a "0" as the year built and some others have incorrect ages. For example, the former McDonald's on Stadium Boulevard in Ann Arbor is listed with a 1958 date, but McDonald's wasn't yet in Michigan in 1958. Also, a couple former Wendy's buildings are given early 1970's dates-which may be incorrect unless Wendy's had already expanded outside of Ohio by 1972.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-11-15 at 04:44 PM.

JoA Sushi has just moved from Dearborn to the old Jack in the Box at Allen and Goddard.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...5647644698.txt

On a side note, both of Jack in the Box's Southgate locations [[this one and the one that just became Checker's) opened in 1970.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-16-15 at 03:43 PM.

Makes you wonder how many great buildings were torn down for these stupid cookie cutter places that went out of business anyway.

I know the fabulous art-deco Falcon Lounge on Van Dyke was torn down for an architecturally lousy Burger King. My parents met there so I looked up the address. Kinda makes me sick.

Late to the party but a photo of 'fish flies' 'Mayflies' reminded me of the Dairy Queen that was once at 9 Mile and Jefferson [[a Ram's Horn has that corner now). I remember going there in the late 1960s-early 1970s and could barely take trying to get in there during the 'Mayfly' season, crunching your way in over a half inch think layer of those bugs! Nasty! No wonder they gave up!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12