Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit-area CEOs back national ads saying city still very much alive

Here’s $250 Billion That Says the City of Detroit Has a Very Bright Future

How many yessers saw these ads?

Twenty-eight Detroit-area corporate leaders launched an advertising campaign Sunday in the Free Press, New York Times, Washington Post and other news outlets saying that despite municipal bankruptcy, Detroit has a very bright future.

“Right now,” the full-page newspaper ad states, “despite our municipal bankruptcy, our residential occupancy rates and Detroit’s office market occupancy are both at their highest highest levels in decades.”

The ads appeared in the Sunday editions of the Detroit, New York and Washington papers. On Tuesday, ads will appear in the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times, to be followed over the next week by ads on Politico.com and in USA TODAY, the Michigan Chronicle and Crain’s Detroit Business.

Full story here
    The ad I saw appeared on page 23 of Section A of the NYT. At first, I presumed it was one of those ads that only runs in a certain region. But, after reading the Freep article, it appears to have run nationally.

The Freep article goes on to report that the ads will cost $600,000. That's a big chunk of change. It was signed by 28 executives who head companies with a cumulative market value of $250 billion. I wonder how they plan to assess it's effectiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Here’s $250 Billion That Says the City of Detroit Has a Very Bright Future

How many yessers saw these ads?

The ad I saw appeared on page 23 of Section A of the NYT. At first, I presumed it was one of those ads that only runs in a certain region. But, after reading the Freep article, it appears to have run nationally.

The Freep article goes on to report that the ads will cost $600,000. That's a big chunk of change. It was signed by 28 executives who head companies with a cumulative market value of $250 billion. I wonder how they plan to assess it's effectiveness?
    I didn't see the ad, but I'm assuming they're assessing its effectiveness in comparison to this:

I saw the ad in last Sunday's NYT here in San Francisco, so it must be a widespread thing. I was glad to see the positive point of view from the business community.