Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    C_S_14 Guest

Default Wayne State University is one of the most embarrassing aspects of Detroit.

Flagship universities can be very beneficial to a major city. Chicago has the University of Chicago, Pittsburgh has Carnegie Mellon, Cleveland has Case Western...Detroit has an institution that robs its functionally illiterate citizens of around $400 per credit hour, in non-dischargeable student loan debt.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013092...ing-ineligible

Wayne State University’s 8.9% tuition hike, which violated a tuition increase cap put in place by the Legislature, will benefit Michigan’s other public universities as they now divide funding that would have gone to WSU. The increase, which is 5.15% higher than the state limit, is expected to generate around $7 million in additional revenue this year.
    I say robbing because only 1 in 13 black students leave there with a degree. So you saddle tens of thousands of students who shouldn't be in college in the first place with student loans, and they leave with an inability to pay it back because they rarely earn a diploma.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...Michigan-grows

WSU is a tragedy and as far as I'm concerned should lose its accreditation. Just another example of Detroit being the laughing stock of the nation.
    Last edited by C_S_14; September-25-13 at 07:56 AM.

Nice first post.

What's the matter? Freep comments section bore you?

Should they change their mission?

Take over DPS?

Move out of Detroit?

Should their status as 1 of 3 research institutions in the state be ignored in light of facing undergraduate issues no other university, let alone research institution, faces?

I graduated from WSU with a B.A. in Liberal Arts and Mass Communication Theory degree in 2010. and now started my own film company. WSU pay half of my tuition. I don't see nothing wrong with that university. It's folks who put innuendos in the news that would WSU or other colleges and universities a bad name.

"1 in 13 black students leave there with a degree."

That's because they did studied enough or going through any required English, Math or foreign language courses for gen ed. If they follow the rules like everybody else, then they will succeed.

There's some white folks who didn't graduated from WSU. That included Hispanics.

Asians and East Indians graduated more in WSU than blacks, whites and Hispanics with degrees in engineering and pre-med. Why can blacks, whites and Hispanics? It's folks in the media is trying to say that Wayne State University a 'ghetto school!' But its growing and still prospering in Midtown.

Students when you all in college.

1. Go to class

2. Study

3. find resources

4. hang out later

5. rest.

That's all you have to do. I did it and I have graduated. It's that simple!
    Last edited by Danny; September-24-13 at 01:52 PM.

Last year when WSU announced that it was raising admission and graduation standards to "prestige" levels, there was big push-back from Detroit community leaders, arguing that higher standards would punish the urban population of Detroit by denying diplomas in a world that more and more requires diplomas. So which way would you have it?
    From the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education [[12-18-11):
    Wayne State University in Detroit enrolls about 21,000 undergraduate students. Nearly one third of them are Black. Only 10 percent of the Black students who enrolled at Wayne State in 2004, earned a bachelor’s degree at the university by 2010.
    Allan Gilmour, president of Wayne State, has proposed to toughen admission standards. He told the Detroit Free Press, “This can’t be an open-access university. If we are admitting people who we shouldn’t admit, that isn’t fair to them.”
    Under the president’s proposal, students who apply to the university would be placed in one of three groups. The first group would be students with strong academic credentials who would be admitted. A second group would be required to complete a tuition-free, eight-week summer bridge program. These students would take courses in algebra, English, and study skills. Those that receive a passing grade in the summer program would be admitted to the university for the fall semester. The third group of applicants would be rejected for admission but would receive counseling about attending a community college or trade school.
    The president estimates that about 5 percent of recently entering classes would not have been admitted under the new standards. Some in the campus community fear that Black and low-income students will make up a disproportionate share of the students who are denied admission under the new plan

I did undergrad at WSU too. I never had any issue with it. Danny is right. School is what you make it. You need to study hard. The one disadvantage WSU has is that so much of its student body is the working poor. Working poor have to work to afford school. This take time and makes it much harder to get through, but when you do it is much more of an accomplishment.

How do you feel about other Colleges or Universities in Detroit? For example:

- U of D Mercy
    - Marygrove
    - College for Creative Studies
    - Wayne County Community College

Keep in mind a lot of students have no interest in getting a degree. Many just want to learn additional skills or have general interest in a subject. I have taken several courses at Community Colleges after I have had my Grad courses just for that.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-24-13 at 02:18 PM.

Don't feed the troll

It's interesting that this is the OP's very first post after only joining within the past month.

48009... that is you, isn't it dearie??

Any first time poster with half a brain wouldn't leave such a spiteful first post, so it is her...

1) It has all the condescending hallmarks of her...
    2) It mentions Chicago as first alternate...
    3) It also mentions the same erroneous $400 credit hour figure for WSU.
    4) Does the same spiel about thousands of students [[especially fellow black students) who shouldn't be in college in the first place.
    5) Detestfully ridicules Detroit.

Alright 48009... we're much smarter here that you give us credit for... and it shows just how not so smart you are.

So do us all a favor 48009... F#%$ Off and leave us alone!
    Last edited by Gistok; September-24-13 at 02:48 PM.

Hahaha. Sock puppets are cute!

And who has to say that college is for everyone? Some of us have done fine without a collegiate degree. But hell if I'm gonna bash Wayne State University because I didn't want to go there. Some people- actually a LOT of people I know went there and they did fine because of their drive and ambition. Don't blame the institution if it isn't right for you; leave or don't attend.

I sure as hell would prefer my degree from Wayne State as opposed to those for-profit universities that are getting sued left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Keep in mind a lot of students have no interest in getting a degree. Many just want to learn additional skills or have general interest in a subject. I have taken several courses at Community Colleges after I have had my Grad courses just for that.
    I've done the same thing. I felt a little out of place, almost like I shouldn't be there. Glad to know I'm not the only one whose done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    48009... that is you, isn't it dearie??

Any first time poster with half a brain wouldn't leave such a spiteful first post, so it is her...

1) It has all the condescending hallmarks of her...
    2) It mentions Chicago as first alternate...
    3) It also mentions the same erroneous $400 credit hour figure for WSU.
    4) Does the same spiel about thousands of students [[especially fellow black students) who shouldn't be in college in the first place.
    5) Detestfully ridicules Detroit.

Alright 48009... we're much smarter here that you give us credit for... and it shows just how not so smart you are.

So do us all a favor 48009... F#%$ Off and leave us alone!
    You should also mention that the sources used to back arguments are newspapers, thus clearly establishing superior research skills that are rarely found outside of Ivy League institutions.

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    erroneous $400 credit hour figure for WSU
    Erroneous? $328/384 + fees = "around $400 per credit hour"

It's worth about $100 per credit hour.
    Last edited by C_S_14; September-25-13 at 07:57 AM.

WSU has well-respected engineering, business, law and medical schools, as well as one of most regarded nursing programs in the country. I'll take that kind of embarrassment. funny to compare WSU to private schools [[Case-Western, the cheapest of the bunch, runs around $1500/credit hour for full-time students). Better to compare Cleveland and Chicago State Universities, which are roughly half and 1/4 the size of WSU respectively

Tuition at UM [[in state): $870 for first credit hour, $510 for additional hours
    Tuition at MSU [[in state): $428.75 per credit hour

These are the only two peer institutions in Michigan for WSU. The rest of the universities in Michigan are not research universities. The faculty at WSU have skills and reputations that faculty at non-research universities do not possess.
    Last edited by drjeff; September-24-13 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_14 View Post
    Erroneous? $328/384 + fees = $400 per credit hour.

It's worth about $100 per credit hour.
    Okay so you corrected the numbers with your math on the per credit hour but how the hell do you come up with that bogus $100 per credit hour assumption? Is that assumption tinged and informed with bitterness?

Seriously if you don't like WSU then stay away as opposed to criticizing them from afar. Obviously the place works for a lot of other people- just not you.

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Okay so you corrected the numbers with your math on the per credit hour but how the hell do you come up with that bogus $100 per credit hour assumption? Is that assumption tinged and informed with bitterness?

Seriously if you don't like WSU then stay away as opposed to criticizing them from afar. Obviously the place works for a lot of other people- just not you.
    It's not a matter of "not liking WSU," it's a matter of a university taking advantage of its illiterate and poverty stricken region, and robbing students of time and vast sums of money. Allowing thousands of illiterate people to take out large loans, knowing they lack the aptitude to graduate [[i.e., ever be in a position to pay back the huge debt) is criminal.

It's worth $100 per credit hour because why would you pay any more than community college rates to be in a community college setting?

Yup, obviously 48009. Sticking with a faulty premise in spite of repeated evidence to the contrary.

C_S_14 att-o-tude = 48009 plat-o-tude.

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    WSU has well-respected engineering, business, law and medical schools, as well as one of most regarded nursing programs in the country. I'll take that kind of embarrassment. funny to compare WSU to private schools [[Case-Western, the cheapest of the bunch, runs around $1500/credit hour for full-time students). Better to compare Cleveland and Chicago State Universities, which are roughly half and 1/4 the size of WSU respectively
    I chose flagship universities and Detroit's flagship university is Wayne State. It is also ground zero for the turn around of the city. I can't believe any of you are defending this place. They're fleecing thousands of desperate people every semester.

I graduated from WSU and yes, its graduate [[Medical, Law) programs and research institute status are genuine points of pride, as most Michigan universities don't have those things. But its piss poor graduation rate is a legitimate criticism.

There's no need to bash the school or the city. The school is fine. The education you receive there is on par with many affordable public universities nationwide. But it's admission policy for years has been setting students up for failure. If you have a pulse, they'll probably let you in. And odds are, you'll leave there with nothing to show for it except thousands in student loan debt. It is inherently wrong and worthy of discussion, even if the OP has gone about it in a hostile way.

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I graduated from WSU and yes, its graduate [[Medical, Law) programs and research institute status are genuine points of pride, as most Michigan universities don't have those things. But its piss poor graduation rate is a legitimate criticism.

There's no need to bash the school or the city. The school is fine. The education you receive there is on par with many affordable public universities nationwide. But it's admission policy for years has been setting students up for failure. If you have a pulse, they'll probably let you in. And odds are, you'll leave there with nothing to show for it except thousands in student loan debt. It is inherently wrong and worthy of discussion, even if the OP has gone about it in a hostile way.
    Do people even read the original post? Not only do they let anyone in but they just raised tuition 8.9%[[!) because they know they can take advantage of the illiterate & desperate students in the area. WSU is frequently cited as a foundation of the city, the centerpiece of midtown, etc.; so its reputation absolutely impacts the city overall.

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_14 View Post
    Chicago has the University of Chicago, Pittsburgh has Carnegie Mellon, Cleveland has Case Western...Detroit has an institution that robs its functionally illiterate citizens of around $400 per credit hour, in non-dischargeable student loan debt.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013092...ing-ineligible

I say robbing because only 1 in 13 black students leave there with a degree. So you saddle tens of thousands of students who shouldn't be in college in the first place with student loans, and they leave with an inability to pay it back because they rarely earn a diploma.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...Michigan-grows

WSU is a tragedy and as far as I'm concerned should lose its accreditation. Just another example of Detroit being the laughing stock of the nation.

as a CMU graduate and a current WSU grad student, I find the quality of professors to be quite good. granted I did a business degree at CMU and urban planning at WSU so apple to oranges. but still I find everyone to to be quite engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    It is inherently wrong and worthy of discussion, even if the OP has gone about it in a hostile way.
    This, like almost every comment made by 48009, involves a tremendous amount of jumping to conclusions.

To better support your claims, I'd recommend posting their admission standards and processes along with comparisons to peer institutions. Preferably urban research institutions with a similar mission, to make the claim very strong. That would make a good discussion.

Or we could keep posting facts contrary to the OP's contention while 48009 continues to pretend they weren't posted [[and then claims others aren't reading!).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast