Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Corridor Mapping Tool

Here is a nifty tool I found out about today that maps a corridor and the benefits of locating along it. The tool includes land-use, zoning, shopping characteristics, locations of schools, libraries and parks.

This could be used for planning projects that are corridor in nature be it a transit, streetscape, or roadway improvement.

http://www.metroplanning.org/work/pr...paign=redirect

Chicago is using it to show benefits of a BRT line to developers and to the general public.

Hi can I have this moved to Connections? This is not directly related to Detroit, but has some applicability to some of the discussions we have had about improving corridors.

Thanks.

Still hawking that BRT, huh?

"In cities around the world, Bus Rapid Transit [[BRT) helps move people more reliably and quickly, making the bus a preferred method of transit. In Chicago, elements of BRT debuted with a pilot project on Jeffery Boulevard in 2012. By 2015, service will expand to include the Central Loop Corridor [[running east-west through the Loop to Navy Pier). Plans have been announced for Ashland Avenue service. The aim: reduced traffic congestion, increased ridership, and faster, reliable service."

TRANSLATION

In cities around the world, such as Lagos, Nigeria, Ahmedabad, India, Karachi, Pakistan and Santiago, Chile, Bus Rapid Transit [[BRT) helps move people more reliably and quickly than regular buses, making the bus a preferred method of transit for people who don't have cars. In Chicago, elements of BRT [[which, of course, do not constitute BRT at all) debuted with a pilot project on Jeffery Boulevard in 2012. By 2015, this already-existing service will expand [[that is to say, be labeled BRT) to include the Central Loop Corridor [[running east-west through the Loop to Navy Pier). Plans have been announced [[but not confirmed) for Ashland Avenue service. The aim: reduced traffic congestion, increased ridership, and faster, reliable service, all without seriously investing in the sort of transportation that draws riders of choice.

This tool is not just for BRT.... Give me a break just because you don't like it does not mean that everyone does not like it.

I posted this as a corridor mapping tool for people looking at how a corridor is impacted by things. I never mentioned BRT.

If I'm making fun of BRT it's because it's a way for public officials to APPEAR to be interested in providing quality transit but without funding it properly. And that's why many of the people who like it are apologists for poor transit and duplicitous government officials.

And so I figure it's always fair game for ridicule, especially when it's mentioned so prominently.