Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Poll Finds Duggan with 2-1 lead over Napoleon - Benny's Favorables Plummet

A Free Press / WXYZ poll of 400 likely City of Detroit voters show Mike Duggan leading Benny Napoleon 49% to 25%.

More disquieting for the Napoleon team has to be the drop in its candidate's favorable / unfavorable ratings, a category in which he had previously held a lead over Duggan.

Napoleon may be losing momentum; his approval ratings among likely voters have fallen significantly. A May Free Press/WXYZ-TV [[Channel 7) poll found his approval rating at 63% favorable and 20% unfavorable; this latest poll shows those who view him favorably now at 43%, and his unfavorability numbers at 35%. Favorarability numbers for Duggan, on the other hand, rose slightly, to 56% from 52% in May, while his unfavorability numbers remained at 19%.
    Read Full Free Press Article and results here.

How can Benny expect to win campaigning part-time. He has more than a full time job and he is going against a man who is campaigning full-time plus with more money. That's Benny's fault. He should have taken a leave of absence and get serious with what he is doing. This going along with his "vote for me because I'm a real Detroiter campaign message" is backfiring big time, and instead of changing his message and campaigning full time he is doing the same things and hoping for a different result.

YAY! Looks like Detroit will get a white mayor after all.

From a completely cold-blooded political analysis these polls have to be telling the Napoleon camp that they need to go negative on Duggan to drag down his increasing positives. Not saying I like that, but that's just how politics are done.

Both are handicapped in that arena as neither is in a position to play the Wayne County stench card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    From a completely cold-blooded political analysis these polls have to be telling the Napoleon camp that they need to go negative on Duggan to drag down his increasing positives. Not saying I like that, but that's just how politics are done.

Both are handicapped in that arena as neither is in a position to play the Wayne County stench card.
    That is the equivalent to throwing a Hail Mary. This late in the game it probably won't work and it might even have the opposite effect. I believe Duggan has built up too much good will for that to happen. I don't think Duggan would even consider it against Benny. To go negative on a black candidate in a majority black city is a loss plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! Looks like Detroit will get a white mayor after all.
    Wow.......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wow.......
    *shrug* It's not that impressive. Black people have been voting for white politicians since enfranchisement. I tend to think a white person who's racist at heart would naturally presume blacks would vote on skin over substance -- just as they do in election after election.

“This city is at a crossroads, and we are confident that Detroiters understand they are faced with a life-changing decision that will come down to the credibility of two candidates: One who has a proven track record in reducing crime by double digits in Detroit and skin in the game in transforming neighborhoods; versus a candidate who has no clue about crime trends in Detroit and who couldn’t find a specific Detroit neighborhood without a navigation system,” Dickens said.
    That is a quote from Napoleon's campaign from yesterday in the Freep. Tell me that isn't clear racial subliminal messaging? Napoleon has been using the race card for months now. I find him not only to be creepy, but running a very questionable campaign...and I'm not even a big Duggan fan. Picking the poison though...Duggan, IMO, is the clear choice.

When Coleman A. Young elected Detroit''s first black mayor in 1973. Ninety Percent of Black Detroiters supported him to fullest; thinking that a black mayor will have power over Detroit regionalism that was dominated by white people. Later Young left leaving Detroit regionalism in shambles, then former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick turn Detroit into one big Manoogian Party and Bing surrender the city to Kevyn Orr and made the city bankrupt.

Most Black Detroiters want a white mayor. Most of them think that having another black mayor will mess Detroit up further. That time is now.

We already put a black man the white house. Let's a white man in the black house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

So why is change so bad. Elect a new Mayor, without as many ties to the old. Clean house in City Council. They play a huge part in making Detroit look bad.

we gotta start over, in a lot of places both in and out of the city, and with Wayne County if we ever want to hold our heads up proud again with respect to the whole Detroit/wayne county area.

just thinking

Lily

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    So why is change so bad. Elect a new Mayor, without as many ties to the old. Clean house in City Council. They play a huge part in making Detroit look bad.

we gotta start over, in a lot of places both in and out of the city, and with Wayne County if we ever want to hold our heads up proud again with respect to the whole Detroit/wayne county area.

just thinking

Lily
    I agree 100% Lily... but there is one person in county government that we can keep who is "Worthy"....

When ever did Duggan use the Race in his campaign? But Napoleon has used his race as a reason to vote for him. Dammit people...wake up and VOTE to fix this city!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree 100% Lily... but there is one person in county government that we can keep who is "Worthy"....
    Who's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Who's that?
    Give you a hint... her first name is "Kim"... and she's a Kwame slayer...

Isn't Duggan still running a write-in campaign though? If so, what % of ballots cast for him can we expect to be thrown out due to typos, sloppy writing, or people just flat out forgetting his name? Will it be enough to sway the results in Napoleon's favor?

Give you a hint... her first name is "Kim"... and she's a Kwame slayer...
    And I couldn't agree with you more........

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Isn't Duggan still running a write-in campaign though? If so, what % of ballots cast for him can we expect to be thrown out due to typos, sloppy writing, or people just flat out forgetting his name? Will it be enough to sway the results in Napoleon's favor?
    No, Duggan's name will be on the ballot.

Opps... sorry I misspelled it... it's Kym Worthy...

Haha, Gistok, then you misspell oops..love it!!

Thing is, I'm not really sure Duggan is all that much better than Benny, but people are so tired of the long line of crooks and thieves, they're wanting to go in a different direction.

Brings up the question -- what happens if Duggan turns out crooked too?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Thing is, I'm not really sure Duggan is all that much better than Benny, but people are so tired of the long line of crooks and thieves, they're wanting to go in a different direction.

Brings up the question -- what happens if Duggan turns out crooked too?
    Well he's been Wayne County Prosecutor and DMC President OK so far... and done a decent job at both...

Well he's been Wayne County Prosecutor and DMC President OK so far... and done a decent job at both...
    He still is a branch from the Ed McNamara tree. Nothing further needs to be said.

I dont think either of them are up to it

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He still is a branch from the Ed McNamara tree. Nothing further needs to be said.
    Well, if you're actually trying to communicate something, then I would suggest saying a little more.

Duggan has no plans to become crooked! When he becomes Detroit's mayor. He will negotiate and cooperate with the EM Kevyn Orr and other future EM's along with the city council old and new. He would make sure the city unions will have their pensions, more police out the streets, more abandon buildings demolish, more EMS response time and fixing our hoods from families and schools. Restoring regional infrastructure in Detroit is his priority. Duggan will be Detroit's great white hope and our last hope in the new age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast