Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Voters Poll Message: A Pox on All Your Houses

A Free Press / WXYZ poll has found Detroit voters showing overwhelming disdain for the cast of characters running the show.

■ 75% gave Snyder a negative rating; 22% gave him a positive rating; 3% were undecided.
    ■ 85% gave Bing a negative rating; 14% gave him a positive rating; 1% were undecided.
    ■ 62% gave Orr a negative rating; 23% gave him a positive rating; 15% were undecided.
    The Detroit City Council took the biggest hit, with 86% giving it a negative rating; 10% gave it a positive rating; 4% were undecided.

Read Full Article and results here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A Free Press / WXYZ poll has found Detroit voters showing overwhelming disdain for the cast of characters running the show.

■ 75% gave Snyder a negative rating; 22% gave him a positive rating; 3% were undecided.
    ■ 85% gave Bing a negative rating; 14% gave him a positive rating; 1% were undecided.
    ■ 62% gave Orr a negative rating; 23% gave him a positive rating; 15% were undecided.
    The Detroit City Council took the biggest hit, with 86% giving it a negative rating; 10% gave it a positive rating; 4% were undecided.

Read Full Article and results here.
    With everything that's been said, here and elsewhere, I find it curious and a little bit promising that those polled seem to hate Mr. Orr the least, if that's a reasonable way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    With everything that's been said, here and elsewhere, I find it curious and a little bit promising that those polled seem to hate Mr. Orr the least, if that's a reasonable way of putting it.
    Another person could view this poll another way.

For example, one COULD take it to mean these people are finally making the unpopular decisions that have been delayed for so long, thus the reason they're strongly disliked.

[[not necessarily my viewpoint)

I think Detroit voters have been frustrated over the years. The only thing most voters want is a functioning city. Look over the years they have tried the suburbanites choice, the young guy with new ideas, the businessman and now most likely the White guy and nothing seems to change. Its the political culture that they are elected into. The dictator doesn't have to operate relative to this political culture and that's the reason some quality of life issues are being addressed and the numbers in the poll reflects that. However the trade off is that the democratic process had to be subverted. I believe the negative numbers for the dictator reflect along with the pension issue. What the voters don't realize is that until the toxic political culture gets torn up it won't make a difference who you elect the quality of life issues won't get addressed as they should. I believe slowly and reluctantly the voters are starting to realize that as it relates to Orr.

Don't you just love our great state of 'Mich-issippi'? Where race and politics matter. Every politicians in Detroit or Lansing are not very good problem solvers. Just get rid of them and bring in new leaders. If our new leaders can't fix it just bring in another. That's now democracy works.

Too bad we have to stick these losers. Deal with it.

I only wish they included Kwame in the mix... see where he stands.

I've got a problem with the poll. This is how they decided positive and negative in the poll:

Would you give [[x) a positive rating of excellent or pretty good, or a negative rating of just fair or poor.
    Seems to me that they skewed the question to get the highest negative ratings as possible.

I don't think of "fair" as a negative term. In fact, Merriam-Webster defines it as "sufficient but not ample" giving "adequate" as a synonym. Dictionary.com defines it as "neither excellent nor poor; moderately or tolerably good."

Now, before you jump all over me, I think we should expect more from our elected [[and un-elected) leaders. Once upon a time, I used to expect more from the Free Press, too. But this is just an example of the crappy journalism they deliver these days.