Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bike lanes development

Has anyone notice bike lanes being layed along W. Grand blvd? Nice addition! Other locations in desperate need of bike lanes are Cass Ave, Warren Ave, Mack/MLK Ave, Livernois, 6 & 7 mile and Jefferson Ave.

Are their any solid plans throughout the city for more bike lanes?

There's now a bike lane on Conner south of Harper.

yes there are plans for lots of bike lanes all over the city. http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...7/Default.aspx

lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but i find people ignoring them and treating them like regular traffic lanes...

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but i find people ignoring them and treating them like regular traffic lanes...
    Lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but I find bikers ignoring them and treating regular traffic lanes like bike lanes.

Trumbull just got some bike lanes south of Warren and I think they will be pushing north of Warren as well. No one really realizes they are for bike traffic, but I guess its a start.

Trumbull has bike lanes over 94 that were put in over a year ago when they resurfaced that bridge so I'm assuming they are eventually going to call all the way to Milwaukee or the Blvd.

Hamtramck Dr. around the GM plant has them also now, although that road is terrible for biking. Sooo many potholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but I find bikers ignoring them and treating regular traffic lanes like bike lanes.
    LOL, well you're right in some ways. Some car ignore the lanes and drive through and take over the bike lanes, they also park along them which give us no choice but to ride wherever fits. But soon people will notice more of these bike lanes and have to respect it or be ticketed. It's against the law to ride on the sidewalk so something has to be in place for safety reasons.

MLK has bikes lanes

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    LOL, well you're right in some ways. Some car ignore the lanes and drive through and take over the bike lanes, they also park along them which give us no choice but to ride wherever fits. But soon people will notice more of these bike lanes and have to respect it or be ticketed. It's against the law to ride on the sidewalk so something has to be in place for safety reasons.
    Thanx for the info. I actually went to court for a trial when I was ticketed for riding in the street, [[Obstructing Traffic), and, with the help of a competent attorney, won. MI State law gives bikers the same rights as automobiles. That being said, I constantly run into bikers, [[NOT literally), that ignore the bike lanes, or aren't in the far right lane, and feel it's they're God-given right TO obstruct traffic. [[last Saturday's Tour De Troit was a classic example) Sharing the road means cooperation and respect from EVERYONE.

Thanx for the info. I actually went to court for a trial when I was ticketed for riding in the street, [[Obstructing Traffic), and, with the help of a competent attorney, won. MI State law gives bikers the same rights as automobiles. That being said, I constantly run into bikers, [[NOT literally), that ignore the bike lanes, or aren't in the far right lane, and feel it's they're God-given right TO obstruct traffic. [[last Saturday's Tour De Troit was a classic example) Sharing the road means cooperation and respect from EVERYONE.
    I am always seeing bikers who don't follow road rules. For example they go the wrong way down one-way streets, blow through red lights at relatively busy, but not super busy intersections, or do not yield [[this is the most craziest). Not every biker understands that sharing the road also means following the rules of the road. Yeah lots of drivers don't follow the rules either. I guess a lot of education and enforcement needs to happen in order for this to stop.

The Bernstien's are taking NYC to court due to bikers creating hazardous conditions in Central Park this week. At first I thought this was a frivolous lawsuit, but since they brought this to the forefront I have been watching bikers more, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am always seeing bikers who don't follow road rules. For example they go the wrong way down one-way streets, blow through red lights at relatively busy, but not super busy intersections, or do not yield [[this is the most craziest). Not every biker understands that sharing the road also means following the rules of the road. Yeah lots of drivers don't follow the rules either. I guess a lot of education and enforcement needs to happen in order for this to stop.

The Bernstien's are taking NYC to court due to bikers creating hazardous conditions in Central Park this week. At first I thought this was a frivolous lawsuit, but since they brought this to the forefront I have been watching bikers more, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have a point.
    The only time I really get into the street is to do certain pain in the ass left turns. Notably Trumbull/Warren and Cass/Michigan. But beyond that initial left turn, always stay far right and always yield to traffic. Basically be a bike that acts as a car and you'll be safe, althought you might annoy the hell out of a few people.

It seems some in the city will just take these as license to target any cyclists who dare ride outside the lines.

Just lost a lane of auto traffic on Conner headed north from that road which goes through Chandler Park...and EVERYONE is confused. Mostly because nobody ever bikes there...

...but it is unusually sudden, with no warning of the lane closure. If anyone does dare to bike there, I expect trouble.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1453331
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Idaho Stop Law needs to happen, for a start. Cars are expected to behave one way on public roads, and pedestrians another way [[walking against car traffic, for instance). Bicycles are a third thing. Our laws and infrastructure are catching up from a break in non-motorized planning that started somewhere in the 1930s-50s.

It's good to watch the bikes to count transgressions, but don't forget the cars. I would say roughly all of them drive over the speed limit, half don't use turn signals, and I'm guessing since bars have parking lots not all of them are sober. And then there's the changes in behavior since the dawn of the cellphone. Hoo ah.

I agree with Bernstein's lawsuit. That guy was riding like it was Tour de France in a mostly pedestrian area, where cyclists need to chill out. Definitely should be made an example of. Meanwhile in NYC, if you momentarily confuse hayfoot with strawfoot and hit five kids with an SUV, no big deal and walk away with a 'my bad'.

3rd street go bike lanes in both directions since it was made into a two-way street in 2011 from Forest to Temple. 2nd Street was and has been on the same plan with DOT.

I am not one for conspiracy theory's but I think Mr. Gannon will like this one...Illich had been for years wanting to put the new Redwings stadium where it has since been proposed. making 3rd street @ 2 street away from one-way's to two-ways in the cass corridor makes ingress and egress easier to his stadium. Those streets worked ok for many years but confused the suburbanites getting downtown for events. Now it is easier. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfsy View Post
    I agree with Bernstein's lawsuit. That guy was riding like it was Tour de France in a mostly pedestrian area, where cyclists need to chill out. Definitely should be made an example of. Meanwhile in NYC, if you momentarily confuse hayfoot with strawfoot and hit five kids with an SUV, no big deal and walk away with a 'my bad'.
    Mr. Bernstein is welcome to launch a suit in his own back yard for the yahoos that use the eastern end of the Riverwalk for a velodrome. Something about those curves around Harbortown and the Coast Guard Station that they love to take at high speed, but their visibility around the corners is nil. I've had to dodge out of their way on multiple occasions.

One of the big problems with bike paths as Rolfsy says is the number of people who do the "Tour de France" amid the easy-going folk. I wouldnt want my 7 year old kid to ride his training-wheels contraption alongside the testosteronis.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    One of the big problems with bike paths as Rolfsy says is the number of people who do the "Tour de France" amid the easy-going folk. I wouldnt want my 7 year old kid to ride his training-wheels contraption alongside the testosteronis.
    I should clarify that I am a walker, and have been playing dodgem with the bike maniacs on the RiverWALK. But regardless of whether one is walking or riding, when these biker gangs [[and they do travel in packs) comes around the corner at top speed from the opposite direction, anybody -- ped, bike or Segway -- is a sitting duck.

I noticed that Forest has bike lanes now between Dequindre and Mt. Elliot.

States and cities are revising laws so that bicyclists are not required to use the bike lane if they don't want to. This is because states and cities found themselves liable when a cyclist was hit by a car door or tried to avoid an obstacle. The city of Chicago was sued when a bicyclist ran over a grate in a bike lane and fell. That, because of the law the rider was forced to stay in the lane. The law was quickly revised to allow cyclists to use regular traffic lanes if they chose to, except when a protected cycle track is present. Only city with one in Michigan is Lansing at the moment.

The law varies state to state and Michigan probably has the best laws for cyclists because they are treated like cars. Some states call bicycles "devices" which means they may have special privileges on roadways. For example, where I live a bicyclist may legally turn left on a red...treating that as a yield. In Michigan that would result as a citation and points on your license. Unfortunately due to the laws, I'm not given much space and have to share the same lane side by side with cars. But Michigan gives cyclists a full lane.

On a side note, bike lanes should be used on residential streets and cycle tracks should be used on commercial arterials.

Putting a bike lane on a busy commercial street will result in cyclists opting to use a traffic lane. The reason is bicyclists will consider the bike lane a buffer zone or crash zone in congested areas. On my commute I depart the bike lane and ride in a traffic lane when I pass a block of hotels. 9 out of 10 times patrons will throw open their car doors into the bike lane without looking. [[$1000 offense). As a responsible rider I look first before merging into traffic so no one has to hit the brakes.

In the case of a cycle track, cars are moved away from the curb. There's a one or two-way lane for bicycles by the curb and a buffer zone so that passengers and drivers can enter and exit their vehicle without obstructing anyone. Collapsable pylons separate motorists from bicycles. Sometimes, there's a raised sidewalk. The intersections will have separate lights for cyclists. Since installation, obedience to traffic signals has hit an all time high. Recent studies also have shown that removing travel lanes for cycle tracks has actually INCREASED traffic flow and throughput in dense urban areas. Who would have thought widening streets for bicycles and reducing them for cars would actually move more drivers down the street faster....and make it safer for cyclists? Fatalities have been reduced to zero on many streets where these have been installed
    Last edited by wolverine; September-25-13 at 07:52 PM.

For the folks who say people are driving over the bike lanes as if they're still a regular lane [[and bikers are not using them), to be fair, Detroit is so sprawled out and crime-ridden that it's actually an inconvenience to bike anywhere in many cases, thus in most cases the bike lanes are not being utilized.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-25-13 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For the folks who say people are driving over the bike lanes as if they're still a regular lane [[and bikers are not using them), to be fair, Detroit is so sprawled out and crime-ridden that it's actually an inconvenience to bike anywhere in many cases, thus in most cases the bike lanes are not being utilized.
    Ideally they'll link higher density areas to downtown. And it's at the very least acknowledgement that there is dedicated space on roadways for cyclists.

dont get why they put up no left turn 9-4 signs at w grand and woodward.
    probably going to rack up a LOT of tickets there, its more confusing because they took a lane out to make it a left turn only.

then the lanes shift and no one knows what lane to be in. got people weaving into my car , just drive straight damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    dont get why they put up no left turn 9-4 signs at w grand and woodward.
    probably going to rack up a LOT of tickets there, its more confusing because they took a lane out to make it a left turn only.

then the lanes shift and no one knows what lane to be in. got people weaving into my car , just drive straight damnit.
    I think by far my biggest complaint about driving around Detroit -- and there's plenty to complain about, from bizarre traffic signals to outrageously unaware drivers -- are the "Mad Max" intersections, where three lanes enter, and only two leave. WB Grand Blvd crossing Woodward is a serious contender [[4 in, 3 out, but the same idea). NB Rosa Parks crossing the south service drive of 75 is probably the worst.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast