Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Parking Ticket - Administrative Conference

I have an administrative conference coming up for a parking ticket, to be heard at the Parking Violation Bureau, 1001 10th Street. Any experiences anyone can share? I would like to know what I am getting myself into.

Why are you fighting a parking ticket? If you have a valid reason say so to the magistrate. If not, good luck.

I'll tell you what the guard outside the door to the court said to me: "Do like everybody else do: Go in there and lie!"

The ticket was issued for parking within 30 feet of a Stop sign, not a meter violation.

I successfully argued a parking ticket but mine was two meter violations when my car was broke down. I showed my auto repair bill so it was a no-brainer. Others there were able to cut deals for the late fees if they couldn't get them dismissed. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    The ticket was issued for parking within 30 feet of a Stop sign, not a meter violation.
    What evidence do you have you were @ or over 30' ?

Name:  photo [[2).jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  21.6 KBI asked for an administrative hearing on two predatory parking tix that I received earlier this year in SW Detroit - where no streetlights have been on on Fort St. West Vernor or Junction in years, where law enforcement is minimal, where blight ordinances are not enforced and where EMS service is poor by national standards.
    But parking enforcement is predatory and irrational. See photo attached. Would YOU know that parking is prohibited if the sign was facing the other way? Would you even know a sign was there if, in 30 years, it was never enforced until now?
    To makea long story short, although I requested a hearing at the building, filled out a form, ect, with the numbers of the two tix, I never heard anything further until I began to get calls from a collection agency this week.

As to the prelim hearing - bogus! I think just a clerk employed by the private contractor up there blowing [[possibly white) people off, talking on her cell phone to a family member while on "the bench," and a rent-a-cop acting as bailiff and court advisor, standing up by the "bench" and putting his two cents in, advising both complaintant and "magistrate".
    I am writing a letter of complaint to the contractor and to Kevyn Orr. What a stupid joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
Size:  21.6 KBI asked for an administrative hearing on two predatory parking tix that I received earlier this year in SW Detroit - where no streetlights have been on on Fort St. West Vernor or Junction in years, where law enforcement is minimal, where blight ordinances are not enforced and where EMS service is poor by national standards.
    But parking enforcement is predatory and irrational. See photo attached. Would YOU know that parking is prohibited if the sign was facing the other way? Would you even know a sign was there if, in 30 years, it was never enforced until now?
    To makea long story short, although I requested a hearing at the building, filled out a form, ect, with the numbers of the two tix, I never heard anything further until I began to get calls from a collection agency this week.

As to the prelim hearing - bogus! I think just a clerk employed by the private contractor up there blowing [[possibly white) people off, talking on her cell phone to a family member while on "the bench," and a rent-a-cop acting as bailiff and court advisor, standing up by the "bench" and putting his two cents in, advising both complaintant and "magistrate".
    I am writing a letter of complaint to the contractor and to Kevyn Orr. What a stupid joke.
    No, I would NOT know that parking was prohibited there. I got a ticket parked next to the DIA, "No Parking Any Time". She got that part correct, what she neglected to add was the rest of the sign read "During A Snow Emergency". It was bone dry, not even a hint of bad weather. I took a few photos, and was going to fight it on principal, but then imagined the scenario in court when I showed my "proof" photos. I decided to pay early and save half the fine. Yes, Detroit Parking Enforcement is predatory and irrational. Back to my "pigeons", "sitting ducks", "fish in a barrel", "only way they can make a buck" rant.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
Size:  21.6 KBSee photo attached. Would YOU know that parking is prohibited if the sign was facing the other way? Would you even know a sign was there if, in 30 years, it was never enforced until now?
    That looks like it might be one of those "No Parking Here to Corner" signs, and thus was facing the direction of the corner it referenced. I always took those signs to mean you were good if you were on the "right" side of it. Don't they paint the curbs anymore? That was another way you could tell you were parking in "no no" land.

Yes, I was closer to the corner than the photo indicates. but my experience Downtown is that as you pull forward to park next to a right-hand curb, the sign will face you. How many people look back and up after they have parked to read a sign that is not facing the driver as the driver approaches?

I have another ticket on West Vernor that is more discussable. That one has the sign obscured all over with grafitti and adhesive USPS tags that taggers use for some reason now. Hard, very hard to read what is on a new sign that went up when West Vernor was calmed two years ago.
    S
    till, the aggressive parking enforcement causes anger when no ohter city services work and when a tax-paying resident is just trying to utilize the services in her neighborhood.

And don't forget that I formally requested a hearing and was, instead, remanded to a collection bureau.
    Last edited by SWMAP; September-23-13 at 03:54 PM.

On a different thread, I mentioned that a neighbor had a handicapped parking sign installed on our property line. It indicates two spaces either way. Enforcement gave a friend/neighbor a ticket. He offered to measure but enforcement laughed. Actually he was legal by two ft. He ended up just paying the ticket. I have called numerous departments to get that moved, removed or designate a single spot. No luck, she did not even request it. Go figure. We agreed with her its ok to dig it up and move it so it doesn't affect my property rights.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    On a different thread, I mentioned that a neighbor had a handicapped parking sign installed on our property line. It indicates two spaces either way. Enforcement gave a friend/neighbor a ticket. He offered to measure but enforcement laughed. Actually he was legal by two ft. He ended up just paying the ticket. I have called numerous departments to get that moved, removed or designate a single spot. No luck, she did not even request it. Go figure. We agreed with her its ok to dig it up and move it so it doesn't affect my property rights.
    Oh wow I thought that always meant for one space only, parked on center of the sign. Good to know. I'm so used to signs that mark begging to end of a spot with arrows.

You'll have to pay to park to go for the hearing. Or maybe you'll find a free spot. You still have to take time to go there. Just pay the damm thing and forget it. You can't take principal to the tellers window.

I have to agree with you, unless my job had me down there all day anyway, my time is worth more that the principal, or at least it would be for me.

lily

What evidence do you have you were @ or over 30' ?
    The photo I took with my cell phone, that I have blown up to 8 X 10.

The photo I took with my cell phone, that I have blown up to 8 X 10.
    After I read my original reply to your post, it read a bit challenging, and that wasn't my intent. I also got one of those tickets when I "guesstimated" I was 30' out. I was told by someone, and I haven't actually measured to verify, that sidewalk squares are 5' long. The meter maids count how far back the front of your car is. Again, I don't have any verification for this story. Unless your photo clearly shows either a tape measure laid out, or positively your 6 sidewalk squares away from the corner, you might be SOL. Regardless, I don't like Parking Enforcement, so I wish you the best of luck GPCharles! Drag those bastards through the coals!

the real joke is that parking enforcement is so there arent people parking in the streets forever. to open up spaces for other people to park. to encourage people to go shopping.

but when they give people parking tickets , it has the opposite effect.
    the only organization thats 'working' in detroit is actively 'working' against its visitors and residents.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    the real joke is that parking enforcement is so there arent people parking in the streets forever. to open up spaces for other people to park. to encourage people to go shopping.

but when they give people parking tickets , it has the opposite effect.
    the only organization thats 'working' in detroit is actively 'working' against its visitors and residents.
    Parking is not a right. It is a privilege. For as much as people on this board scream about the need for parking lots the fact is that they generate revenue and would not be there otherwise.

Those who try to skirt the law and abuse their privilege do so with the full knowledge they are taking some risk in not paying to park in the first place. I have zero sympathy in 95 percent of the cases. You want to live downtown and own a car? You better be prepared to pay to rent a spot and stop complaining. Parking your car on publicly maintained streets is taking up space that could be better utilized for bike lanes or landscaping and also puts you at risk for getting your car hit or broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_14 View Post
    So you chose to ignore a parking ticket and now it's on your credit report? Your bad. As for the dysfunction at the parking bureau, been there, done that. Just another reminder of what a cess pool the city is.

It might not be the cess pool that you say it is if were'nt for your... bad, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_14 View Post
    So you chose to ignore a parking ticket and now it's on your credit report? Your bad. As for the dysfunction at the parking bureau, been there, done that. Just another reminder of what a cess pool the city is.
    Are you DaveWindsor?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Those who try to skirt the law and abuse their privilege do so with the full knowledge they are taking some risk in not paying to park in the first place.
    Nobody on this thread is trying to get away with anything. Parking laws are just fine. It's not fine when they are arbitrarily created, arbitrarily enforced when not violating them and poorly communicated.

Justice was served -ticket dismissed. The photos I had carried the day. The meter maid [[Parkzilla) accused me of moving my car farther back from the stop sign before I took the photo with my cell phone. Word to the wise - if you have a ticket to contest, make sure you have photos of the area, i.e. that no signs were posted, where you were parked, etc.
    Last edited by GPCharles; October-04-13 at 10:27 AM.

Justice was served -ticket dismissed. The photos I had carried the day. The meter maid [[Parkzilla) accused me of moving my car farther back from the stop sign before I took the photo with my cell phone. Word to the wise - if you have a ticket to contest, make sure you have photos of the area, i.e. that no signs were posted, where your were parked, etc.
    My heartiest CONGRATULATIONS! Truly a day to rejoice, justice served!

Justice was served -ticket dismissed. The photos I had carried the day. The meter maid [[Parkzilla) accused me of moving my car farther back from the stop sign before I took the photo with my cell phone. Word to the wise - if you have a ticket to contest, make sure you have photos of the area, i.e. that no signs were posted, where your were parked, etc.
    YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you won this case. I've been waiting to hear the outcome.

:::::APPLAUSE!!::::::: Good for you!

I have a friend of Chicago who used to work in the downtown area of that city. He would look for places where meters were broken or missing due to construction or some other reason. He always took pictures. Occassionally he would get parking tickets. Because he could leave his job without penalty, he would fight each one with the pics. I think he only had to pay one or two out of hundreds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast