Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Subdivision Plats

I'm interested in old land records and came across this site.
    http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/platmaps/sr_subs.asp
    These online records appear to be incomplete however, as I cannot find the plat that describes my end of the block, just to the north of the Reeder Sub on PC 78. The legal description of my parcel contains only survey information, no sub name.
    Any insight, suggestions or resources about finding my plat or other older land ownership maps would be greatly appreciated.

Correction...I'm north of the Reed Sub, Frank A Reed, not Reeder

Sometimes subdivision did not get named. If a farmer or other owner subdivided and did not do a development [[i.e. he just sold individual building lots to private individuals or builders of "one-offs") he would not give the subdivision an exotic name, just its geographic description.

You might be able to find a subdivison name on this map.
    http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atla...e+County+1936/

Possible that you are in a different private claim than the Reed sub. The PC 78 stops somewhere in that area, and continues on as a claim 269, perhaps. What does your deed say, exactly?

I'm definitely in PC 78. The legal description is
    E VINEWOOD S 36.75 FT OF N 493.50 FT OF W 140.60 FT OF P C 78 LYG S OF PORTER ST E OF VINEWOOD AVE 14/--- 36.75 X 140.60

It's the old Alexis Campau property [[PC78) sold to Bela Hubbard in 1854 where he built his rural estate called Vinewood. After his death, the block was divided between his eldest son, Henry, who in turn died in 1899 and another descendant, who I am guessing is Mary [[Hubbard) Jacobs, his eldest daughter. Henry's portion, the south end of the block, became the Reed Sub. My property is on the north side. As the above contributor mentioned, it's very likely the lots were sold as one-offs but I would have expected to find some recording of the subdivision. Perhaps I need to visit the records in person. If anyone has any tips on that, I would be very appreciative. I know quite a bit about the first owner of my home, but as you can see, I'm digging into the minutia.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Possible that you are in a different private claim than the Reed sub. The PC 78 stops somewhere in that area, and continues on as a claim 269, perhaps. What does your deed say, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    I'm definitely in PC 78. The legal description is
    E VINEWOOD S 36.75 FT OF N 493.50 FT OF W 140.60 FT OF P C 78 LYG S OF PORTER ST E OF VINEWOOD AVE 14/--- 36.75 X 140.60

It's the old Alexis Campau property [[PC78) sold to Bela Hubbard in 1854 where he built his rural estate called Vinewood. After his death, the block was divided between his eldest son, Henry, who in turn died in 1899 and another descendant, who I am guessing is Mary [[Hubbard) Jacobs, his eldest daughter. Henry's portion, the south end of the block, became the Reed Sub. My property is on the north side. As the above contributor mentioned, it's very likely the lots were sold as one-offs but I would have expected to find some recording of the subdivision. Perhaps I need to visit the records in person. If anyone has any tips on that, I would be very appreciative. I know quite a bit about the first owner of my home, but as you can see, I'm digging into the minutia.
    I'm seeing that 14 in your document. That is probably this lot number, just still inside the 78 one block north is where the claim ends. The lots are numbered 1 to 15. Vinewood is to the left in this picture.

Name:  springwells.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  60.7 KB

Default Not my lot

PC 78 ended at what is now MLK jr BLVD. My lot is described as S of Porter. I think the 14/ is part of the tax ID number. Your plat is a bit north. But thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I'm seeing that 14 in your document. That is probably this lot number, just still inside the 78 one block north is where the claim ends. The lots are numbered 1 to 15. Vinewood is to the left in this picture.

Name:  springwells.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  60.7 KB

Your property is not in a subdivision that is why. Your legal is a metes and bounds description. Property divided outside of a subdivision has a legal description tying it into the survey system in your case within a private claim. Note it doesnt give a sub name or lot numbers in the legal. I used to be a surveyor BTW. Its rare especially for a residential lot to be a metes and bounds outside of a subdivision in Detroit but they exist!

I was able to find my subdivision that was formed in 1973. Neat stuff!

Meanwhile, I now know that the subdivision I live in was created this month way back in 1924! This site is really great. But I also noticed on my plat that the north-south streets had different names:

• What was Davis Street is now 18th Street [[likely because there was already another Davis Street elsewhere in Wyandotte);
    • what was 16th Street is now 19th Street;
    • what was 17th Street is now 20th Street
    • and what was Bittorf Road is now 21st Street.

Fareastsider -- Are there county offices that have the land records that show the ownership over time? Originally my lot was in Bela Hubbard's backyard. Reading through old title abstracts [[Burton Abstracts and Title, Co.) for other houses on the block, I am guessing the land was inherited by Hubbard's oldest daughter. The south end of the block was inherited by Hubbard's eldest son. Or, if someone knows where I can find Hubbard's will on file, that would help immensely. The newspapers at the time included some general info, but I'm interested in specifics, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by fareastsider View Post
    Your property is not in a subdivision that is why. Your legal is a metes and bounds description. Property divided outside of a subdivision has a legal description tying it into the survey system in your case within a private claim. Note it doesnt give a sub name or lot numbers in the legal. I used to be a surveyor BTW. Its rare especially for a residential lot to be a metes and bounds outside of a subdivision in Detroit but they exist!

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    Fareastsider -- Are there county offices that have the land records that show the ownership over time? Originally my lot was in Bela Hubbard's backyard. Reading through old title abstracts [[Burton Abstracts and Title, Co.) for other houses on the block, I am guessing the land was inherited by Hubbard's oldest daughter. The south end of the block was inherited by Hubbard's eldest son. Or, if someone knows where I can find Hubbard's will on file, that would help immensely. The newspapers at the time included some general info, but I'm interested in specifics, naturally.
    Ive never done title research in Wayne County, I dont know if it was Detroit or Wayne county but I was once told the records were not well organized. It would be a great place to start. If you have an abstract that would be the best. You could have them go back further but it would cost you im sure. Ive done some title work in St Clair County and they have a great setup there for researching titles and history you can do on your own and Ive done most there. In Macomb County I think you give them the info and they do the digging for a fee. I have done a lot of research at DPL and the Burton Historical Room, I would recommend that as well. It wouldnt hurt to contact Wayne County about their process but I imagine the amount of records would be insane and some fees. It took me about 3 hours in St Clair County to get back to the 1910s for a land purchase from a wealthy Detroit family, going further I could get back to the original land grant but its very teadious. Then again this site has also pulled off some great research! Ill take a look later tonight and see if I can find anything of interest.

I adore old abstracts. The history gained is so interesting. I have the abstract for our home, my Dad's home and my Mother's home.