Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Trying to remember a restaurant in the Detroit area...was there in the 1970s

Name:  Vineyards Resturant Detroit.jpg
Views: 4158
Size:  31.5 KBDoes anyone remember a restaurant somewhere in the Detroit area [[I was there in the 1970s) that was fancy, old stone, and you felt like you were eating in a castle. I had lamb stew in a huge crock and have never forgotten that experience. To this day I try to emulate that recipe. It was a very special place to dine, but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life. It might have been The Vineyard. looked like this picture.
    Last edited by pennypit; September-21-13 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added picture

May have been the Fox and Hound in Bloomfield Hills? Been closed a while now.

http://www.detroitsrestaurants.info/...x-_and_-Hounds

Or Stouffer's at Northland?

No, I have been to both of those. I think it might have been The Vineyard. Wish I could see a picture of that old restaurant.

No, loved This one, the Fox and Hounds...went there for prom...but that is not the one I am remembering. Thanks.

Is this it? It was on Franklin Road...

The Vineyards Restaurant-Southfield-Michigan. I sure do wish it was still there!Attachment 21512

Thanks, I found it online with much searching, before I read this reply. It was such a great restaurant!

The only problem with the Vineyards were those stone walls and arched ceiling. They reverberated and echoed sound like crazy, and made for a noisy dining experience.

I never minded the noise, because the food was sooo good and I loved how the place looked. Wish we had places like that today. I just want to know what happened to that old building.

and like other great restaurants, by the 80s it had declined badly. it them became an oyster bar

anyone notice that the name of the photograph in the first entry says "vineyards restaurant detroit"???

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    anyone notice that the name of the photograph in the first entry says "vineyards restaurant detroit"???
    Yes, and according to Google Images, it most likely came from the webpage Celani Family Vineyard's Restaurant Owner Tasting.

Hope that helps.

they tasted the owner???