Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New bar near Lafayette Coney Island...

I had a drink in this place on Labor Day while back in town visiting. Trying to remember the name of the bar that has entrances on W. Lafayette and W. Fort at that pie-shaped intersection. Is it called the "Wash Tub Bar"? I was trying to recommend the place to some folks but can't find a listing and address for it. Anyone been in this bar? When did it open?

Bath Tub Pub would be the name. I went their for a DEMF afterparty last year, it was pretty sketch.

Got it, Motz. Bath Tub, not Wash Tub. But what is "pretty sketch"?

pretty sketchy

It's a dive, but not bad. They don't have draft beer [[or at least didn't when I went) so I don't go often, but it's a decent place.

Went there a couple months ago. They were stocking the fridges after what they called "a crazy party" the night before upstairs [[don't go up there, it's disgusting... they had a blowup hot tub). I ordered a beer, and apparently it had just been stocked. I took a drink and it was warm. I told them, they offered me another beer, put the cap back on the warm one that I had taken a couple sips of, and put it back in the fridge.

Between that and D'Mongo's, I wonder which inspectors got greased to pass these joints. The bathrooms at Dmongo would fail from the raised platform, not to mention zero ADA compliance.

[QUOTE=esp1986;403540]Went there a couple months ago. They were stocking the fridges after what they called "a crazy party" the night before upstairs [[don't go up there, it's disgusting... they had a blowup hot tub).[/\QUOTE]

Yep, that is basically what I meant by pretty sketchy. I went there during DEMF one year and well, it was interesting to say the least. Won't last long.

Sounds like this Bar is in the place of the Arcade Bar of past.
    In the final years is was run into the ground by squabbling kids of the original owners. Many of the same stories of old Bars in the 'D'. Parent or Grandparents build the business and the kids get it and have no idea how to run it.

Too bad. The Arcade was a nice, low key, comfy old Detroit-style "get away from work" bar. Spent many a pleasant lunch hour and happy hour there way back when I worked downtown. When the Bathtub opened I walked in there once, saw with horror what they had turned the place into, and turned around and left. Did downtown really need a place that looks like a half-stripped biker bar, with blaring music and weird blow up hot tubs upstairs?

I was by there again today, and they were carting yet more of the actual bar fixtures and pieces of the building away. And for some reason they had knocked a hole in the front of the building and left two big pieces of white PVC drain pipe sticking out of it and hanging over the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Too bad. The Arcade was a nice, low key, comfy old Detroit-style "get away from work" bar. Spent many a pleasant lunch hour and happy hour there way back when I worked downtown. When the Bathtub opened I walked in there once, saw with horror what they had turned the place into, and turned around and left. Did downtown really need a place that looks like a half-stripped biker bar, with blaring music and weird blow up hot tubs upstairs?

I was by there again today, and they were carting yet more of the actual bar fixtures and pieces of the building away. And for some reason they had knocked a hole in the front of the building and left two big pieces of white PVC drain pipe sticking out of it and hanging over the sidewalk.
    Like I said, I do not expect for it to last long. Not because they won't be making money, but because that second floor will attract a fair amount of attention from certain people in a short amount of time

My flatmate bar-tended there back in the Spring she quit pretty soon too. She told me the same thing, totally sketch. They serve until 4AM, BTW.