Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Somebody is Digging into Duggan

Got this forwarded through Facebook, but from an anonymous source...nobody claims authorship, sounds like something Mongo would do, but his site claims he's working for the Duggan campaign. Funny thing, it STILL sounds like something Mongo would do, trying to make the silent white dude look hip and thug-like to the populace.

Here it is in its entirety, since there is no claim of copyright or ownership I am not afraid to post it here. It is NOT my own work, although I've had doubtful feelings about the man publicly in the past.

I've heard for years that the whole airport concession deal array would be where great dirt could be found against the Kilpatrick/Cheeks regime, and deep down I knew Duggan was involved somehow. He couldn't have been ol' McNamara's hatchetman and remained spit clean. No way.

"THE DUGGAN SOME CONVENIENTLY FORGOT ABOUT"

IT’S TIME TO TURN THE PAGE from leadership that misuses the public’s trust and tax dollars to give tens of millions of dollars in no-bid contracts to his friends, and then have those same friends finance his campaign. Someone who tried to cover-up a sexual affair to save his own skin. Someone who used his office to enrich his wife. And someone who the Feds caught in a kickback scheme. But this someone is NOT KWAME KILPATRICK.

IT’S MIKE DUGGAN.

IF KWAME KILPATRICK DESERVED PRISON FOR WHAT HE DID
    WHY DOES MIKE DUGGAN DESERVE TO BE MAYOR FOR THE SAME THINGS?

The following provides a historic picture of what Mike Duggan’s 30 years of “service” has produced. A history that has been IGNORED by all media outlets, and those who claim to support “CHANGE.” And while the vast majority of these incidents were taken from Detroit’s two daily newspapers, none of these issues have been revisited during this mayoral campaign.

McNAMARA, DUGGAN ‘CARVED OUT’ WAYNE COUNTY DEALS

It was just January 17th of this year, while the wagons were circling around Kwame Kilpatrick to seal his fate when a secret surveillance recording of Bernard Kilpatrick surfaced. Bernard, talking to the Synegro Exec, spoke about his friend Mike Duggan. Not in malice, but as a matter of fact: He said of former Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara and Duggan, “ We carved out this ... And I know this is … borderline illegal and … the county was a different animal, everybody will tell you that.” And in unprecedented fashion, before court had concluded for the day, the federal prosecutors issued a news release telling the public not to read into the recording, protecting Duggan. But if it was credible enough to convict Bernard Kilpatrick, why not Duggan? – Detroit News January 17, 2013

AIRPORT CONTRACTORS INVEST IN DUGGAN’S WIFE’S BUSINESS

The reason you no longer hear about how Mike Duggan “Turned Around” the Wayne County Airport is because it was a sticky subject for him. Not only did those under his direction get indicted for corruption, but his wife was also close to it. Two contractors who received 10-year contracts in a “questionable bidding process” were later found to have invested in Lori Haher’s business – Kid Kingdom. Loiri happens to be Duggan’s wife. “Mr. Duggan’s conduct in the Metro Cars/Kids Kingdom case appears to have violated this ethical standard. Under Mr. Duggan’s supervisory authority, Metro Cars was awarded not only the original airport limousine contract in a highly irregular manner, but a no-bid extension of that contract, despite the fact that Mr. Duggan’s household at the same time had benefited” – George Ward, former chief assistant prosecutor – Detroit Free Press, July 12, 2001

USING HIS TAX-FUNDED OFFICE FOR POLITICAL CAMPAIGN WORK

In 2003, Duggan was sued by an intern who was fired for whistleblowing a political fundraising operation for Duggan out of the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office when it was exposed, followed by a Grand Jury investigation. Duggan threw the intern, and his own deputy under the bus when it was discovered by the media. It turns out, that his deputy was having an affair with the 20-year old. He fired them both, but only after he made his deputy pay nearly $12,000 back to the county, the cost of the time of the intern’s work on county time. He was later sued by another employee for being honest with the FBI over the incident. Judith McNair, a lawyer in the Prosecutor’s Office sued Duggan because she was demoted for telling the truth. – Detroit Free Press January 23, 2003. Also see Laura Berman’s editorial in The Detroit News February 6, 2003.

AS DMC CEO, DUGGAN WAS SUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE FOR KICKBACK SCHEME

Detroit Medical Center Pays U.S. $30 million to Settle False Clams Act Allegations. It goes on to read: WASHINTON – Detroit Medical Center, a non-profit company that owns and operates hospitals and outpatient facilities in Detroit, has agreed to pay the United States $30 million to settle allegations that it violated the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Stark Statute, by engaging in improper financial relationships with referring physicians, the Justice Department announced today. DMC also discovered many instances in which it had billed Medicare and Medicaid from 2007 to 2010 for physician services that were not properly documented. December 30, 2010, UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE WEBSITE

“If you look at the settlement, the $30 million really stands out, it is quite high,” said Greg Moore, leader of the health care practice group at Clark Hill PLC in Birmingham. Many of the violations appear to be related to efforts by Duggan to bring more physician referrals to the DMC. – Crain’s Detroit Business January 10, 2011.

MIKE DUGGAN DIDN’T SAVE THE DMC – HE SOLD IT AND BECAME A MILLIONAIRE

Duggan has convinced some Detroiters that his turning of a non-profit hospital into a private hospital was good for Detroit. But it wasn’t as good for Detroit as it was for him. He became an instant millionaire, earning $2 million and 82,000 shares of stock worth another $1.2 million. At the same time, the hospital was hemorrhaging jobs, with another 600 layoffs slated for the coming months.

DUGGAN ISSUES NO-BID DPS CONTRACTS TO VENDORS WHO FUNDED HIS CAMPAIGN

In 1999, Mike Duggan was a part of the DPS Takeover Team and a major reason why DPS was returned to Detroiters with a deficit, after it enjoyed a surplus prior to the takeover. Duggan took a leave of absence from the Wayne County Executive’s Office to take on a role to “fix up” DPS schools. Duggan spent $76 million in no-bid contracts to contractors who turned around and funded his Wayne County Prosecutor’s run. “Duggan and his team of district and county employees spent more bond money [[in one summer) … than the former school board did in the first four years.” – Detroit News, October 3, 1999.

MORE NO-BID CONTRACTS – THIS TIME AS WAYNE COUNTY PROSECUTOR

As Wayne County Prosecutor, Mike Duggan paid various vendors more than $830,000 without formal contracts, a competitive bidding process, or approval from the Wayne County Commission, according to audit. The audit indicated that 75 percent of Duggan’s contracts with vendors did not have commission approval, as required by the county. Detroit Free Press December 15, 2004.

Metro Detroit demanded accountability for Kwame Kilpatrick for this type of behavior. Obviously, this type of behavior, and Duggan’s pals are generally acceptable for no-bid contracts.

DUGGAN TRIED TO COVER UP POLICE BRUTALITY IN THE MALICE GREEN CASE – SUED AGAIN BY A WHISTLEBLOWER

In 1993, a Wayne County Medical Examiner, Kalil Jiraki sued Mike Duggan for attempting to intimidate him into saying that Malice Green’s death was related to cocaine use, not the fatal beating given to him by police officers. Jiraki proved to a jury that this incident actually occurred and was awarded $2.5 million after he was fired for not complying. Although named in the complaint and personally fingered for the intimidation, Duggan was not named in the verdict. Detroit News August 11, 2000.

So, I just wish to foment a bit of discussion with forumers who have publicly supported this man in the past. I would like to know if they were aware of these stories. Curious. I don't think Duggan is the guy for Detroit, but Benny surely isn't either. Leave it up to Detroit politics to make the implanted steward overseer look good. Yes, Mass'r Snydely, your man look GOOD compared to these bozos.

It could all be true, it could all be hearsay & rumors. Unless this comes from a credible source, how can anyone take this as truth? Until there is fact behind it, to me, this is like our buddy Matty and the smear campaign he used to discredit the DRIC. But if this is true, that's a whole lot of skeletons.....

You must not have read it. These are documented in news articles and court documents over the years. They are all cited...
    Last edited by Gannon; September-20-13 at 12:57 PM.

Nobody in the great state of "Mich-ississippi" is going to accept Mike Duggan's mess. Those events remain circumstantial. Napoleon can use those dirty tricks to put Duggan out, about it will not effect his mayoral campaign.

Knock it off with those rumors!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Nobody in the great state of "Mich-ississippi" is going to accept Mike Duggan's mess.
    I don't think anyone wants Benny's mess either. The FBI has been planted firmly up his ass for a bit now, and the guy is almost as shady as Evans was... I remember hearing about multiple afterhours clubs owned by some of Evans' associates that were allowed to operate with impunity while his people went and continually shut down ANY OTHER after hours that attempted to operate.

Benny is such an awful candidate, I can over look some of the rumors that have long swirled around Duggan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You must not have read it. These are documented in news articles and court documents over the years. They are all cited...
    They are cited opinions, for the most part. They remain opinions. For example, one items says he was sued. Well -- who in public life hasn't been. Oh, and another item damns him for making money for himself by investing in DMC. Other's might call that putting your money where your mouth is.

I don't like Duggan much -- but if you believe this article tells you something about Duggan, that's what you wanted to hear.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; September-20-13 at 03:44 PM.

That article is so disjointed! Bits and pieces and lines drwn between events that don't make sense. Lots of ellipses-that is always telling of smeary conclusions.

Let's see what a real investigative reporter makes of one or two of the allegations.

I also am wary of anyone who whines and infers that K K was targeted and somebody else wasn't. A KK apologist tends to have a distorted perception of governance.

It's been said around this board for quite a while that he's connected to both McNamara and Kilpatrick, but apparently Detroiters have not had enough of both of them.

Wonder what job he'll give Turkia?

The city needs new blood. Clean blood, untainted by any of the city's past ghosts and demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's been said around this board for quite a while that he's connected to both McNamara and Kilpatrick, but apparently Detroiters have not had enough of both of them.

Wonder what job he'll give Turkia?

The city needs new blood. Clean blood, untainted by any of the city's past ghosts and demons.
    No one in politics is clean. Everybody owes somebody something. I heard an anecdote once, "The primary difference between the corruption of_________, is that he gets things accomplished, even though he benefits as well.....but the corruption of_______, is that everything comes to a grinding halt, he takes the money and runs."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    No one in politics is clean. Everybody owes somebody something. I heard an anecdote once, "The primary difference between the corruption of_________, is that he gets things accomplished, even though he benefits as well.....but the corruption of_______, is that everything comes to a grinding halt, he takes the money and runs."
    That's a good way to sum up Chicago vs. Detroit politics.

You beat me to the punch 313. Corruption seems to work pretty well for the North Side. The rest is like Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    You beat me to the punch 313. Corruption seems to work pretty well for the North Side. The rest is like Detroit.
    For all of Chicago's South Side problems, I'll take it any day over Detroit's problems.

Take the article I posted last night about the 11 people getting shot for example. As bad as that incident was, over 60 police officers and numerous ambulances showed up to the scene within 45 minutes. In Detroit, you'll be lucky to get one ambulance and one police car to show up within that time.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For all of Chicago's South Side problems, I'll take it any day over Detroit's problems.

Take the article I posted last night about the 11 people getting shot for example. As bad as that incident was, over 60 police officers and numerous ambulances showed up to the scene within 45 minutes. In Detroit, you'll be lucky to get one ambulance and one police car to show up within that time.
    Ummm.... you're impressed with 45 minutes??? You really wo'nt have to move that far... and can get far better results than 45 minutes. In most Detroit suburbs the response time is 5 minutes. Last year my neighbor had 3 minute response time in SCS...

Even in Midtown WSU police would be there in a matter of minutes...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-21-13 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummm.... you're impressed with 45 minutes???
    I said WITHIN 45 minutes, as that's the number the news media in Chicago reported 45 minutes after the incident. I'm quite sure that wasn't the actual response time. Granted, even that 45 minute still beats Detroit's AVERAGE of 58 minutes.

You really won't have to move that far... and can get far better results than 45 minutes. In most Detroit suburbs the response time is 5 minutes. Last year my neighbor had 3 minute response time in SCS...
    Apples and oranges. I'm comparing Detroit proper vs. Chicago proper, not "SE Michigan" vs. Chicago Proper. I'm sure Chicago's suburbs also have response times in line with Detroit's suburbs, but that's not relevant. Besides, the 3 minute response time in SCS means nothing for a crime that takes place at 7 Mile and Gratiot.

Even in Midtown WSU police would be there in a matter of minutes...
    I'm pretty certain the University of Chicago and the UIC also have very impressive campus police departments that compliment [[not make up for) the extremely efficient Chicago Police Department.

Everything so far is hearsay and guilt by association. In the one thing i've read that was verified - an FBI investigation into McNamara - Duggan was cleared of suspicion. MOST of this reads like it came from Gary Devine - a right-wing nutjob out of Farmington Hills who used to run a scam mortgage brokerage

Duggan's plan is pretty dismal too. Whats the business end of it? Has he discussed that yet? Does he have a business plan? Business development in the 95% of Detroit thats not downtown. Im reading about how he plans to stick it to scrappers and drug dealers. A little late for that on the scrap metal tip...Those are symptoms. So is crime. Going after squatters. Ok... another symptom. This just addresses his "neighborhood plan."
    How about someone come up with a workable plan to put $$$ in city residents pockets. Need jobs to do that. Things still need to be manufactured right? Big tax breaks to attract biz? Is that how it happens?
    People sell drugs and strip houses because its what they can do. I doubt there are many 8 year olds out there saying "I want to be a scrapper when i grow up"

Realistically that's about all a mayor can do, address symptoms. If he can do the basics, that would go a long way to improving the quality of life in the city. The private sector basically is the jobs creator, however by removing the barriers to doing business in the city he would be going a long way to putting dollars in the pockets of the residents. If Duggan can create an auto insurance company as he spoke about to compete with the ones that are redlining us, that in itself would be major

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Realistically that's about all a mayor can do, address symptoms. If he can do the basics, that would go a long way to improving the quality of life in the city. The private sector basically is the jobs creator, however by removing the barriers to doing business in the city he would be going a long way to putting dollars in the pockets of the residents. If Duggan can create an auto insurance company as he spoke about to compete with the ones that are redlining us, that in itself would be major
    Mayors are not saviors of the world, but removing barriars to doing business is more than address symptoms. Its addressing a root challenge to Detroit's economic future. Same with auto insurance.

If you harm business, you harm residents. Duggan seems to recognize this. Fixing the business climate is important for business. Fixing the insurance bull is important for residents. Both help an awful lot. And neither has ever received real attention.

That was an absolutely embarrassing read. I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't posted simply to insult the author.

For the record, a lack of copyright notice does not mean the work is not copyright protected. Copyright protection is granted upon creation, with no step needed to be taken by the creator.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    That was an absolutely embarrassing read. I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't posted simply to insult the author.

For the record, a lack of copyright notice does not mean the work is not copyright protected. Copyright protection is granted upon creation, with no step needed to be taken by the creator.
    Strictly speaking, that is not necessarily true

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Strictly speaking, that is not necessarily true
    Assuming we're talking about items created after 1963 and potentially in the public domain, the US Copyright Office states:

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright."

Well first off, I doubt someone would even waste the time and energr over the Copyright Protection of their Facebook comment. Otherwise, I would have to question the true priorities of said individual.

Second, even IF the Facebook comment was under copyright protection, I will bet, if anything, that Gannon's post would be protected under the Fair Use Act of 2007, as he's not claiming ownership of the post and I'm quite sure he's not profiting from the Facebook comment.

Third, although it's true that Copyright protection is technically automatic, said individual must still officially register the Copyright Protection with the government before they can bring forth a lawsuit for infringement [[according to http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html).

Now if the real issue you have is with the context of the Facebook comment itself, then just say so and keep the other passive-aggressive crap to yourself.

Assuming we're talking about items created after 1963 and potentially in the public domain, the US Copyright Office states:

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright."
    yeah, but if you do not register an item, proving ownership is a bitch. just look at all the cases regarding songs and movies. and proving ownership is the heart of copyright

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast