Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit-Style Shrimp

Miley & Miley closed both locations. Any suggestions where I can get the same kind of "Detroit-Style" Shrimp? Same or similar to Miley & Miley.

Thanks!

I think the Dot and Etta's Shrimp Hut locations on Livernois near 6 Mile, as well as 7 Mile near Conant, are still open [[the location on Mack and Holcomb has been "closed for remodeling" for at least 10 years now).

There's also O'Quins Shrimp House, which is also on Livernois near 6 Mile as well as Gratiot near Van Dyke.

For those who are looking for a good Fried Catfish dinner now that Miley and Miley Shrimp Shack is closed, Capers Steakhouse on Gratiot near 7 Mile is the best place I can recommend.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-19-13 at 08:52 PM.

Oquins!!!!!!!!

what the heck is detroit style shrimp??

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    what the heck is detroit style shrimp??
    I'm assuming it's merely a moniker for Southern Fried Shrimp.

Granted, I did find the article below...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...t-style-shrimp

I drove up and down Livernois between 6 & 7 mile and Dot & Ettas was shuttered and so was O'Quins. Headed up 7 mile and nothing there either?

I couldn't believe Detroit now has no shrimp shacks.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I drove up and down Livernois between 6 & 7 mile and Dot & Ettas was shuttered and so was O'Quins. Headed up 7 mile and nothing there either?

I couldn't believe Detroit now has no shrimp shacks.
    Try the O'Quins location on Gratiot and Baldwin. That one may still be open.

And yes, for a city the size of Detroit with an 82% black population, it is amazing that there are now very few, if any decent BBQ and Shrimp Shacks around town. I guess partially a sign of the economy?

My thoughts exactly. The bad economy is not allowing very many people to pay for shrimp by the pound these days. Ironically, I saw several seafood take-outs that specialize in fish...but no shrimp.

Vicki's BBQ and Shrimp on West Warren. I was there recently and every other customer was ordering shrimp by the pound.

Thanks Jonesy, I'll check em out.

So sad, I have gout and thinking about shrimp brings on pain. Needless to say I love shrimp, it no longer loves me. I had 1/2 a cup of clam chowder at Sinbads and gimped around for all the next day. Keep talking food so I can live vicariously.

Very fortunate here, do have to leave home for the best shrimp in the city.

Back when they only had the original location on Livernois near the Lodge, Dot & Etta's served the best fried shrimp in town. When they expanded to the Oak Park and Southfield locations, the quality suffered IMO. Last time I was at the Greenfield/Lincoln store a few years ago, I was very disappointed and never went back.

I heard from someone whos knows the owner of O'Quinns that the median Kwhyme plopped is part of what hurt their business as well as the other small businesses along Livernois [[Miley & Miley, Dot & Etta's, etc.). Not many people want to deal with that clusterfuck. If Kevyn Orr or Mike Duggan are able to rip it up and restore Livernois to the way it was, I will be a happy camper.

The best fried sea-food I've ever bought was from the shrimp shack [[can't remember the name) on the east side of Second, somewhere between Lothrup and Clairmount, maybe Gladstone?

It's just a little "joint" - but they were sho' nuff fryin' some fish up in there! Not sure that they're still open, but I haven't heard they're closed, either.

Also, Mr. Fish, on East Vernor near Chene, has good ol' school fried sea food.

The place that I go to when I'm in the area is Shrimp Hut in Ecorse. I was raised on Dot & Etta's but Shrimp Hut is well known in Ecorse and delicious too.

409 Visger Rd Ecorse, MI 48229

^^Marsha, not what you're trying to remember, but you reminded me of Mr. FoFo's Deli. I think the shrimp shack was within a block or two?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ^^Marsha, not what you're trying to remember, but you reminded me of Mr. FoFo's Deli. I think the shrimp shack was within a block or two?
    Yes, it's a couple of blocks south. I just didn't want to say "between Lothrup and Mr. Fo-Fo's. LOL!btw, Mr. Fo-Fo's isn't that anymore, there's a new establishment there, but I haven't stopped there yet. But that fish place is the bomb, even if you feel like you're in the Color Purple.

"If you wanna smiley smiley... get your shrimp from Miley Miley"! That ear worm of a jingle burrowed into my brain 10 or so years ago and still hasn't left...

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    The place that I go to when I'm in the area is Shrimp Hut in Ecorse. I was raised on Dot & Etta's but Shrimp Hut is well known in Ecorse and delicious too.

409 Visger Rd Ecorse, MI 48229
    Stopped by here yesterday afternoon for lunch but they don't open till 4:30pm. Grabbed a menu though and I'll go back another day. Can't wait to try this Detroit style shrimp. What about Louisiana Creole Gumbo on Gratiot?