Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Downsized Detroit Neighborhood- the Marathon Refinery area

At least since the time Mayor Bing took office, some people have believed that the city of Detroit needs to downsize some of
    its under utiliized and troubled neighborhood. The area between the Marathon refinery in southwest Detroit and the River Rouge has been downsized in the last few years as Marathon purchsed the homes located there.

Does anyone know:
    *How much above assessed value did Marathon have to pay to purchased the homes? I believe they also provide relocation costs.
    *How many residents ended up turning down the offer from Marathon? There appear to be a few occupied home remaining in the area.
    *What plans do Marathon and the city of Detroit have for this former neighborhood? Will it be an empty buffer zone for the refurbished refinery?
    Thank you.

I doubt they were paid much. I looked at buying over there and after doing my research I realized that area has the concentration of pollution and CANCER in the ENTIRE state of Michigan. Other diseases such as asthma were the highest too. I can go into so much more but long story short, i chose to stay away from that area because it's already highly contaminated.