Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ford to start using Lasers instead of Spark Plugs

Scientists at Liverpool University and engineers at car giants Ford have developed a new ignition system which uses focused beams of laser light to ignite the fuel.
    The researchers claim the technology is more reliable and efficient than current spark plug technology and will enable cars to start more easily in cold and damp conditions.

It is understood that Ford, the world's fourth largest car manufacturer, hopes to put the laser ignition system into their top of the range vehicles within the next couple of years before making it more widely available.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/5803066/Cars-to-be-started-by-lasers-instead-of-spark-plugs.html

Retroit Guest

Great, can't wait for my lasers to get fouled! How much is that going to set me back? Spark plugs are cheap, and the modern ignition system is pretty reliable.

But, if it is better [[and cheaper), I'm all for it!

Hope they work better than the coil packs that power those Ford spark plugs.They are a pain when they go bad.New ones can be expensive and used can be hit or miss.

Hope they work better than the coil packs that power those ALL AUTOMOTIVE BRANDs spark plugs.

there fixed it for you...

with the exception of some programming for different performance parameters, theyre all the same. in fact ive got them on my motorcycle...

I like the coil-on-plug innovation. Never had a problem with them. Always had a problem with spark plug wires getting wet, old, etc.