Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where are Detroit's Great Movie Palace Organs?

I'm a theatre buff, not a theatre organ buff... that's what 56packman and a few others here are for!

But I did want to mention a few things about the 5 great surviving organs of Detroit's greatest theatres...

First of all there are only 4 theatres in the world known to have had an organ in the auditorium and an independent organ in the grand lobby. The Detroit Fox is the only one of these 4 that still has both of its' original organs.

The other 3 theatres are the San Francisco Fox [[razed 1963), the St. Louis Fox [[auditorium organ is still original, but the lobby organ was removed and later replaced by another organ, and the NYC Roxy Theatre [[razed 1961).

Of the other theatre organs in Detroit, the mighty one of a kind 4/34 Wurlitzer organ at the old Fisher Theatre [[uniquely built by Wurlitzer to have both theatre and church pipes)... is still in the city... located in the Senate Theatre on Michigan Ave., and carefully maintained by the DTOS [[Detroit Theatre Organ Society).

http://dtos.org/OurOrgan.html

The organ of the Michigan Theatre was moved 20 years before the theatre was gutted. The 5/28 Wurlizter [[later upgraded to 5/32) was removed in 1956 by a Racine Wisconsin insurance salesman into the basement of his home. This July the CBS National News did a quick blurb on the former Michigan Organ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...-home-theater/

http://www.dairylandtheatreorgan.org/hermes.html

The Capitol and State Theatre's both had large Publix 1 Wurlitzer Organs, although that at the Capitol replaced an earlier Hillgreen-Lane organ in 1925 [[when the State Theatre was finished).

The organ at the State Theatre was removed in the 1970s... and the console ended up in the Castro Theatre in San Francisco... today the only single screen movie theatre left in San Francisco...
    http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article...on-4382915.php

Back around 1972, when I was in high school, we had a family friend who's side job was taking apart old theatre organs and selling them. I remember he had an old friend who used to play the organs. Maybe that's how he became aware of the market. At any rate, he had a farm up in the thumb somewhere and I remember he had a dissembled organ there. We used to manually blow on the pipes.

The old pipes seem to be tarnished brass and could be 6 feet or longer.

Thanks Rick! I'm having trouble finding any info on the Publix 1 Wurlitzer that used to be in the Capitol Theatre [[Detroit Opera House). Still looking.

Also, I just came across an interesting statistic... there were about 7,000 theatres built between 1915-32 that had theatre organs installed. Amazingly, of that number... only 40 still have their original organs [[I believe that the 2 in the Fox and maybe the Barton Organ at the Redford are the only Detroit ones). Many other organs ended up in restaurants, homes, Chucky Cheese type places, and even other theatres.

Doesn't the Senate still have one? If I am not mistaken it is from the Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Doesn't the Senate still have one? If I am not mistaken it is from the Fisher.
    Yes it does [[my first post)...

The only Detroit ones I was referring to in my previous post was "in their original locations"...

Mercifully the DTOS [[Detroit Theatre Organ Society) decided to stay and keep their organ at the Senate... so people... please patronize their concerts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    [[I believe that the 2 in the Fox and maybe the Barton Organ at the Redford are the only Detroit ones).
    The Barton at the Redford is original to the theater.

The CBS Sunday Morning show had an extended piece a few weeks ago about the Wisconsin guy who has the Michigan Theater organ. If anyone is interested they'll probably replay it some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The CBS Sunday Morning show had an extended piece a few weeks ago about the Wisconsin guy who has the Michigan Theater organ. If anyone is interested they'll probably replay it some time soon.
    JBMcB...is that the same as my first post... 2nd link...

JBMcB...is that the same as my first post... 2nd link...
    Almost, that's a cut-down version of the original piece from the Sunday morning show.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The Barton at the Redford is original to the theater.

As luck would have it, I was on a tour of the Redford and got a chance to play the original Barton. Thrilling doesn't describe it. The whole theater shakes from the resonant bass notes and the ringing overtones.

I'm glad there are still people who are helping to continue the art in this form.

CTY

This is my wheelhouse, so here goes a short, off the top of my head list of what I know for a fact:

State theatre [[now KA "the Fillmore)-removed in 1974, actually stolen with the help of a crooked manager. It went to Oral Roberts University and became part of a larger instrument, that was removed some time later and it was broken up for parts. The console from that Wurlitzer has been playing in the Castro theatre in San Francisco since 1982.

The Capitol/Detroit Opera House [[AKA Broadway Capitol, Paramount, Grand Circus) That Wurlitzer went from the theatre to the Arcadia roller rink on Woodward in the late 1950s, it is now playing in the Oakland [[CA) Paramount theatre, minus a few original ranks, plus other [[identical) ranks, a great instrument.

The Hollywood theatre: Barton, one of the biggest made by that firm. The late Henry Przybylski had the organ stored in his Dearborn Hts. home from 1963 [[when he removed it from the Hollywood) until 2003, when Stephen Ball bought it from his widow. It is still in storage in the state, awaiting restoration/installation into a new home.

The Madison theatre: was very early, was really more of a church/concert organ--it was parted out over several phases, I was part of a crew that took everything worth taking in 1979, we left a bunch of wooden components no one would want, their water-logged remains came down with the building when it was demolished.

The Michigan theatre: Wurlitzer--My friend Fred Hermes bought it in 1955, it has been playing at his home in Racine WI since the late 50s.

The United Artists theatre: Wurlitzer. I saw this organ in the theatre in 1975, it was almost 100% intact. It was removed in that year and was installed in a pizza restaurant in Warren attached to the Universal Mall. After that place tanked it was removed, it was later broken up for parts. Some of it, and the console are in the Long Center in Layfette IN.

Adams theatre: another early house [[1915-1917 ish) with a more church than theatre instrument, long gone, no one knows where.

Oriental Theatre: the organ is intact, in storage in north Oakland county, could be had right now.

Fisher Theatre-Wurlitzer--removed in 1960, installed in the Iris theatre from 1961-1963, re-installed in the Senate theatre on Michigan ave, still there playing wonderfully. See www.dtos.org for more details.

Punch N' Judy theatre, GP--the Wurlitzer is in a home in Sterling Heights, listed for sale right now.

Six Mile Uptown--Wurlitzer in a private home in Royal Oak since 1971

Rivera--Robert Morton [[brand)--in a home in Three Rivers Michigan, I played it when it was in Mt. Clemens 30 years ago.

[[Rivera) Annex--Robert Morton, in a church in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Tuxedo theatre, HP-Robert Morton---removed in the late 50s, became the nucleus of a large installation in Bloomfield Hills that was just removed last summer, is going to a new location in Gaylord.

Olympia Stadium-Barton-Came out in 1964, the main part of it went to Ft.Wayne IN to a home, three hi-power ranks went to the same installation in Bloomfield Hills listed above.

Avalon Theatre-Barton-was scrapped while still in the theatre, 1970, everything left was sold in 1970, parts for other instruments.

Irving Theatre--Robert Morton, removed in the late 1940s, parted out.

Linwood-Lasalle, Barton-went to IL, was in a home, sold since then.

Great Lakes-Marr & Colton [[brand) removed in 1960, sold, was just sold at auction for next to nothing, was in a house in Davison MI, had been perfectly restored but never set up again, the owner/restorer went into a nursing home and the family had to sell the house.

East Side theatre-Wurlitzer--went to a church in Detroit on McGraw in 1935 [[repossessed from the theatre), was sold in 1972, ended up in Rose City MI, was then purchased by a man from Troy, he gave it to Stagecrafters in Royal Oak, I installed that instrument there, and it is playing there today, or at least bits and pieces of it, the final instrument there is a bit of a mongrel.

Lancaster theatre-Wurlitzer-purchased and removed in the late 50s by George Orbits, who was setting it up in his home when the Fisher theatre Wurlitzer became available, so George sold it to Henry Przybylski, who was setting it up in his home [[1962) when the Hollywood Barton became available, so he sold it to D_____ V__________ who installed it in his home in Royal Oak [[mid 60s), then his home in Indian Village [[early 70s) that's where I first heard/played it, then D____ moved to Algonac [[mid 80s) , I played it there, then he sold it to Jim Walgreen [[of the drugstore family) who paid to have it installed in my late friend Fred Kruse's home in Elgin IL, I played it there in 1993. D____ V________ bought it back from Walgreen and it is now playing in his garage/studio in China Beach [[MI) and I have played it there!

That's enough for now, I'll think of more later.
    Last edited by 56packman; September-19-13 at 10:09 AM.

This is an interesting database: all of the original Detroit installations, places you have never heard of, as well as some we know very well.

http://barton.theatreorgans.com/cgi-...oit&StartNum=1

Yes it does [[my first post)...
    Doop! - Homer Simpson

There was a massive pipe organ and console in Cass Tech's old auditorium.
    Was that left to rot like the rest of the building?

I really need my husband on this thread. I love music but understand it not at all.

Organ recital at St John St Luke, Ron can talk the points of this fabulous two story organ, the last of its kind in Michigan. Sorry that I am woefully ignorant.
    Will make sure my husband posts its history and date for recital. Amazing sound, free will donation. Angels sing when you hear this organ.

Thanks for all the info 56packman!!

From that one post alone you make sense of the statistic I read that there are only 40 theatres that still have their original organ. So many of these wonderful instruments are now in their 3rd or 4th location!!

From what I gather... the Detroit Opera House would like to get a large Wurlitzer back into their auditorium. I remember you mentioning in the past that its' Publix 1 Wurlitzer gave that theatre the best sounding organ in Detroit... no doubt helped out by the fact that it has the largest organ grilles in the city!

You are welcome. Yes, the Opera house is willing to talk about it, and that's a good thing. I have my eyes open. The shape of the that room and the tone very large openings made for a very happy situation. That's the thing, a pipe organ is either a beneficiary or a victim of the room they are installed in.

Gistok--I don't know if you are on Facebook or not, but I run a page there devoted to Detroit and Michigan [[state-wide) theatre organ history and photos, we have hundreds of photos of Detroit area instruments. I think you can look at this as a guest, and not be a registered FB member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/379783295413560/

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Gistok--I don't know if you are on Facebook or not, but I run a page there devoted to Detroit and Michigan [[state-wide) theatre organ history and photos, we have hundreds of photos of Detroit area instruments. I think you can look at this as a guest, and not be a registered FB member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/379783295413560/
    Thank you, 56packman, for the informative history of Detroit area theatre organs!! And many thanks to Gistok for starting this thread!!

I tried the Facebook link and it said I had to log in to FB.
    But the page with the pix of Barton instruments was great!

BTW, what is the condition of the EM Skinner in the Scottish
    Rite Cathedral -- a bit off topic as it is not a TO, but inquiring
    minds need to know

Please keep this thread going ...

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Thank you, 56packman, for the informative history of Detroit area theatre organs!! And many thanks to Gistok for starting this thread!!

I tried the Facebook link and it said I had to log in to FB.
    But the page with the pix of Barton instruments was great!

BTW, what is the condition of the EM Skinner in the Scottish
    Rite Cathedral -- a bit off topic as it is not a TO, but inquiring
    minds need to know

Please keep this thread going ...
    It is in good condition, I played "warm up" for a White Stripes concert there in 2004, and my friend Clark Wilson just accompanied Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" there last summer, and it was splendid. Ken Holden still cares for it as best I know.

The mighty Wurlitzer from the Detroit Opera House [[then the Paramount, later Broadway Capital and Grand Circus) is now in the Paramount Theater in Oakland California.

Thanks daveyarm... that much I was able to find out... with the 2 Detroit Publix 1 Wurlitzers being on opposite sides of the bay in the San Francisco area... I am just having trouble finding any online documentation, except the pipe configurations for that organ [[just statistics that don't mean much to a layman).

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    It [SRC E.M. Skinner] is in good condition, I played "warm up" for a White Stripes concert there in 2004, and my friend Clark Wilson just accompanied Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" there last summer, and it was splendid. Ken Holden still cares for it as best I know.
    Thank you for the info!! Does it have a full-length 32'
    Bombarde in the Pedal, or half-length resonators?

Also, mind if I ask? ... do you have any details about
    the "Wurlitzer" organ in St. Charles Borromeo church
    http://www.stcharlesdetroit.org/about_us.shtml :

"Additional work in the church included lighting and
    electrical upgrades and maintaining the Wurlitzer
    pipe organ [[one of only two of its type remaining
    in service)
    ."

Sounds interesting... gee Dad, is it really a WurliTzer?

The Punch and Judy theatre on Kercheval in GP Farms used to have an organ, and although I was a patron there many times, I do not recall it. I have talked with a few Grosse Pointers, however, who vouch for its existence. I have no idea what happened to the organ when the Punch closed its doors many years ago.

Rock, read my long post above, I cover that one. I played programs on it in the 70s and 80s. We had to un-bury it from all of the garbage hurled during showings of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast