Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There were several big institutions around Northville. What is now Maybury State Park was the Maybury TB sanitarium for children. Years ago my students did a video interview with the last director, who still lived nearby. The children's mental hospital was at Sheldon and Six Mile. That was the location of the "Northville tunnels" that teens would enter for a thrill. Those were demolished over 20 years ago, I think. [[Those two locations are the places shown on the maps posted above.) The Detroit House of Corrections [[DeHoCo) was located east of that on Six Mile, basically across from the current Northville HS. That was a huge prison farm that was probably a square mile or so in size. Northville State Hospital is still standing [[at least the last time I drove by) on Seven Mile in Northville Twp., west of Haggarty Rd. That is the location that caused a big political fight when a developer moved some people onto the site in mobile homes to try to get the zoning changed and to transfer the land to Livonia. Later on there was a prison on Sheldon, and a smaller special education center on Haggarty. Lots of the rumors and stories about those places got blended together over the years.

funny how every day occurrences can be turned into occult meanings. it would take me day's or months to De-bunck all of them! but I digress. have fun folks!!!

What is now Maybury State Park was the Maybury TB sanitarium for children
    They had a children's section and an adult section.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    funny how every day occurrences can be turned into occult meanings. it would take me day's or months to De-bunck all of them! but I digress. have fun folks!!!
    You CANNOT debunk them all. Perhaps it is time for another drinking session at our favorite bar...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I am glad that the experts on this site can authoratatively tell us that it is physically impossible for ghosts to exist. Whew!
    I am also glad that the OTHER experts can authoritatively show any proof in history that ghost DO exist .

I was a patient at Maybury Sanatorium in the late 60's for about 7 months along with my 4 brothers and sisters; we had all contracted TB from my father, who was a patient in the adult section. Fortunately my mother did not catch the germ. We were very young, I was either 4 or 5 at the time, so I was probably scared but not from ghosts, just the nurses, lol. My mother says the nurses were so happy that the new drugs had been developed and they could actually witness patients getting cured rather than succumbing to the disease like in the old days when the only treatment was fresh air and bed rest.

My father had half of a lung removed and I will never forget the drive to Herman Keifer every week for follow up visits where we would drive right through the post riot areas on the way to the Health Department. Quite impressionable on a young child.

Even though Detroit is down on its luck right now it is important to remember how competent and forward thinking it was in earlier days with a first rate public health service and the ability to build and operate a hospital out in the then hinterlands. I will always be grateful for that.

Well, here is how i remember it. The Northville Sanitorium with its one very large building and many smaller ones [[like small dorms, maybe big enough for 20 residents)....entrance on seven mile is still there, part of roof missing from main building.....very visible from 7 mile, west of 275. If you know to look for the many crumbling cottage/dorms located toward front of property, but east of main entrance, the can be seen. Sad, to think what happened in them, but they are there and can be seen from 7 mile.

while attending EMU working on special ed degree, i worked at the Wayne County Training School. It definitely was not part of the Northville Sanitarium grounds. The pictures posted by Jimaz look like i remember.

As for paranormal experiences while around that area. No. Just nightmares seeing how terrible people were being treated then [[early seventies)

Lily

Hello,

I see this post is very old but possibly you will find this anyway. I was walking with my daughter 14, and my dog the other day. We were pretty straight in by the kids play ground at the Eight Mile entrance. We were all the way back by the path that leads to the west end of the park.

She, as always, was playing with her phone taking selfies. She made a short video as well, maybe 20 seconds long. There is an erie sounding voice, deep and very slow. I can't make out what is being said. I think it's a voice. If not, it is a weird noise and we didn't hear it when she was playing around.

Then we went back recently to walk the dogs. They were not behaving together so we split up. She went back to the same spot and she was scared because her phone kept ringing, but it was an unknown caller. She said it was four different calls. It freaked her out, so she called a friend and began hurrying back in my direction.

I saw the video and did not tell her about the voice, or what I thought it was. Knowing where she was going I had a feeling she might get spooked, so I was already heading her way. She was husselling toward me, talking to her friend on the phone. She told me what happened. I was not surprised.

I get nervous at the park alone. I guess I feel not really alone. I am a sensitive and so is she. If I told her that I think there are spirits floating around she may never go back with me to walk the dog. She knows but she doesn't want to know. You know what I mean?

Anyway, I was looking to see if anyone had information about spirits in the park and I came across your note.

Take Care

-Nexus 5 Android phone?
    -Normal, not paranormal.
    -Remedy?
    Buy an IPhone.

If the OP of this thread is still vigilant, I have a few questions of my own. What means and instruments do you and your group use to detect spiritual or psycho-kinetic activity in the area? Do you use random noise generators, radios tuned to static or "dead stations"? Do you use atmosphere registering devices [[thermometers, barometers and the such)? Tarot cards? An old Atari 2600 with the cursed E.T. game cartridge plugged into it?

As far as paranormal hotspots. There were the tunnels in Northville and Eloise, parts of the River Rouge area [[like the trenches off from Spinoza-there was a half-submerged car for the longest time) around Ann Arbor Trail [[supposedly the ghosts of gay Incubi who got "smeared" Matthew Shepard-style still lurk there, but I never bother to find out what "cruises" around there live or dead at night), and Fairlane Towncenter up on the second floor building due left of Sears [[where the bookstores were) had activity numerously reported [[many mall workers would confirm activity of an old "man in black" seen skulking in the back service hallways)-keep in mind at least one person has been murdered there as also with Northland Mall. Easttowne Theatre, the Butcherhouse at Hunt & Joseph Campau [[a former Purple Gang and Black Panthers hideout/body-dump), and the old 655 W. Alexandrine spot were all slated for repeated spiritual activity, but all three of them have been razed.

I was once an avid follower or Forteana and phenomenalism that is supported by physical evidence. I likened myself interested in monster-chasing [[or at the very least, the very legitimate study of crypto-zoology which gave us the Komodo Dragon http://listverse.com/2010/08/13/top-...ut-to-be-real/ ). Things involving spiritualism, Atlantis, clairvoyance, ESP[[N), afterlife, etc. were too nebulous and far-flung to hold my interest. Personally, I've never seen a ghost [[except in a hypnagogic/pompic state). I have witnessed a few "possessions" [[if that's what they were-for my father was very susceptible to something of that type) and poltergeist activity. I've also seen some very strange stuff in West Virginia.

Regardless, look into Detroit folklore. Track down the Benny Evangelist family occult decapitations. Research traffic records for any particular auto fatalities that occurred with greater number at certain intersections versus others [[which may have very nominal aspects to them regarding road grade, blind-spots, poor traffic lights, etc.). Visit Del-Ray. Keep your ear to the ground for any tales of "phantom hitchhiker" on any roads on the far outskirts of the suburbs.

However, should you be around Maybury again and hear some radio static and some wheezing....... ... ... .. .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2