Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Previous art sale by the DIA to the Getty

The Rose Terrace music room contents were bequeathed to the DIA along with an endowment after Anna Dodge's death. Somehow this collection was sold to the Getty Museum in LA. Does anyone know why that sale was permissible, when any talk of selling art today is anathema?

I am not familiar with the specifics of this case, but it is ok to sell pieces that are not considered "art" or that do not fit with the collection [[redundant pieces, e.g.). According to the American Museum Association, the proceeds from the sale of art must be used for the acquisition of other art [[they can't sell a Van Gogh to pay the DTE bill, but they can sell an antique violin that doesn't really go with their collection to buy something that does, e.g.).

Good job, 1953. You brought rationality, logic and precedent to the OP.

I remember seeing the Rose Terrace Music Room contents in one of the galleries of the south wing of the DIA... I had always thought that although the articles were of great beauty... that it was a pointless assembly of items without the room itself.

Blank gallery walls and ceiling just made the collection seem sort of odd and random...

However... that said... I am not happy about this...

The Music Room en situ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; September-17-13 at 04:56 PM.

Great Picture. Thanks Gistok.
    The rug was so large that a raised floor was created in that gallery, with half the rug folded underneath. The best of the furniture and art in the above picture was displayed. The contents of Rose Terrace was considered by connoisseurs to be the finest collection of French antiques and art in America. Dodge and Detroit are synonymous. This collection should have remained in the museum, as bequeathed, [[with the $1,000,000. included endowment for its conservation.) If Detroit's art belongs to it's citizens why wasn't this decision vetted in a transparent manner?

David L... unfortunately all Google searches about the Music Room lead back to this thread!

I don't see anything under Getty or DIA...

Under "Dodge Mansion" from wikipedia.
    "...in 2000 the DIA de-accessioned a number of works of art...made specifically for the music room at Rose Terrace... which were sold at Christies in New York..."

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Under "Dodge Mansion" from wikipedia.
    "...in 2000 the DIA de-accessioned a number of works of art...made specifically for the music room at Rose Terrace... which were sold at Christies in New York..."

Even worse[[r).

Now, under established museum operating guidelines, the money that was raised from that auction [[The Getty Museum purchased many of the items...) should have been spent only on the acquisition of additional art. I wonder where the money went?

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Now, under established museum operating guidelines, the money that was raised from that auction [[The Getty Museum purchased many of the items...) should have been spent only on the acquisition of additional art. I wonder where the money went?
    Wasn't that in the bad old days when the CoD couldn't finish a basic financial audit as required by certain federal programs? If so, I doubt anyone will figure out where the money went. It's probably written on a post-it note in a filing cabinet somewhere.