Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

48009 Guest

Default Flint and Detroit remain the most violent cities in America. -FBI

Say what???? These cities are the birthplace of General Motors!!!!!!!!!! There must be some misunderstanding.

How did Detroit go bankrupt before Flint?

Gee, when I first saw this post... I wonder if our Chicago Troll 48009 posted this...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-17-13 at 09:06 PM.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee, when I first saw this post... I wonder if our Chicago Troll 48009 posted this... we see right thru you sweetie...
    Trolling? It is front page news in all of the dailies. Very troubling news for the city and region and all of the efforts of Gilbert & co. Bankrupt and the most dangerous in the nation aren't strong selling points to college grads. I wish the best for the area but its issues can't be overlooked; addressing them head on is the only way to get past them.
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    How did Detroit go bankrupt before Flint?
    Flint's much smaller [[thus much easier to "reform" by a dictator).
    Last edited by 313WX; September-17-13 at 09:16 PM.

Someone, please, teach this writer what "per capita" means!

Flint also had the most murders per capita [[62) for cities with more than 100,000 residents.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Bankrupt and the most dangerous in the nation aren't strong selling points to college grads.
    I don't think either issue has much to do with attracting college grads. Chicago is nearly bankrupt, and leads the nation in murders, but has no problem attracting 20-somethings.

For example, Chicago just had its bond rating lowered again, now at "Negative". It's the only major city rated "Negative". I doubt your random MSU grad knows or cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think either issue has much to do with attracting college grads. Chicago is nearly bankrupt, and leads the nation in murders, but has no problem attracting 20-somethings.

For example, Chicago just had its bond rating lowered again, now at "Negative". It's the only major city rated "Negative". I doubt your random MSU grad knows or cares.
    Illinois compiles their stats differently so they usually aren't listed on these things at all. Comparatively, we don't really know where Chicago would fall. Seems like a pretty smart thing for Illinois to mess up these stats so they aren't listed.

St. Louis is listed as one of the most dangerous cities in America [[though the metro is very safe), but I think most young college grads aren't really worried about that. I would hope they would be smart enough to do more research before moving anywhere, rather than just stay away from a city because of its bad neighborhoods. Usually when I hear someone complain about the unspecified crime of a large city, it's either country folk who would never live there anyway or older people who want to be in the burbs because it's quiet. I think urbanites, suburbanites, and rural people have different ideas as to what dangerous really means. It's generational, too, probably. My grandma doesn't want me being alone outside at night anywhere, even in my tiny town that has almost zero violent crime.

I do think these perceptions can have some impact, but I don't think they necessarily keep that many people away, except for the people who didn't want to go there in the first place.

Crime in a city is a problem and needs to be dealt with, but I know these studies are not always entirely representative of the whole of a city. Many residents can live in that city and not be victimized.

I liked visiting Chicago, but it would be too big for me to ever live in. I like a smaller city myself. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Trolling? It is front page news in all of the dailies. Very troubling news for the city and region and all of the efforts of Gilbert & co. Bankrupt and the most dangerous in the nation aren't strong selling points to college grads. I wish the best for the area but its issues can't be overlooked; addressing them head on is the only way to get past them.
    Yes very troubling. We have a huge crime problem. But so does a lot of major cities. Chicago anyone?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...apital-of-u-s/

Chicago has the highest murder rate in the U.S.

Los Angeles has the highest gang problem in the U.S.

Atlanta has a center of crack trade in the U.S.

What those cities like Detroit and Flint have in common? THEY HAVE GHETTOS, BARRIOS! and loaded with poor people. These are the everyday social problems that are unsolvable. You have nonviolent protests, candlelight vigils etc.... But they just social band-aids to make our community safer. It would take fixing up your home and families first. Then the violent crime will be reduced.

People will rob, steal, kill, rape, con, lie, fight and jack anyone. It's their choice. But also their choice to love thy neighbor, too.

Glad everyone brought up Chicago and their inability to be listed by the FBI as Detroit is. Its infuriating when people say MURDER CAPITAL OF AMERICA yet ignore Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    Say what???? These cities are the birthplace of General Motors!!!!!!!!!! There must be some misunderstanding.

No Misunderstanding! GM left its WHQ's to the New Center Area in Detroit in 1915. But it built its plants and its suppliers there. Along came Roger Smith with his lies. While GM was making record profits. He decided to close a few plants, cut off its suppliers, bring jobs to Mexico for cheap labor. Then tell the UAW that they company is broke and pay its workers small commissions and 'VOILA!' thousands of GM employees in Flint were laid off in the instant.

441 murders? I thought it was 414 when "justified" homicides were included in the count.
    ::As they should be IMO::Everywhere else includes them::

I gotta say, all of you, I admire your fortitude. I haven't been back in a few years, but I'm on vaca right now, and driving around yesterday was damn scary. I was getting to the point that I did not want to stop for red lights, and I was in neighborhoods I wouldn't have worried about 10 years ago. Breaks my heart.