Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gary Brown Shut Off Power Downtown on 9/11 to Protect Dan Gilbert's Offices [[Rumor)

Yes, that's right, Kevyn Orr lackey Gary Brown intentionally shut off power in select areas downtown with little to no warning last Wednesday, crippling the city's courts and other important institutions in order to send a message to "greedy" customers. He didn't care if you were on the elevator. Your supervisor didn't turn off the AC in time, so he trapped you.

Don't believe me? Watch this video at the end of this article: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09...roit-blackout/

There he is, smiling about it.

His main reason? He claims he was trying to prevent a rolling blackout in Detroit. Although, as we know, downtown runs on a separate grid, so in reality that was unlikely to have happened.

The truth is, he didn't want Dan Gilbert's offices to go down. So he stuck it to the institutions that serve the everyday people of Detroit and cut the power to the government buildings.
    Last edited by nain rouge; September-16-13 at 10:18 AM.

This is total BS.

Gilbert's buildings aren't on the Detroit Public Lighting grid.

In fact, I can't think of any non-government buildings that don't get their power from DTE.

What's your motivation to post outright lies here that are completely not supported by fact?

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The truth is, he didn't want Dan Gilbert's offices to go down. So he stuck it to the institutions that serve the everyday people of Detroit and cut the power to the government buildings.
    Last edited by Scottathew; September-15-13 at 08:49 PM.

You got all that from what might have been a grimace? A smile? Really? I have seen Gary Brown smile many times and he doesn't look all smiley to me. Maybe Dan Gilbert is giving Gary a blooie just outside of camera range. Maybe Gary and Dan share the same common-law wife on an alternating weekend basis.

that may sound unusual, but not when you consider they are half-brothers and what not.

It must be tue, I read it on tE internetz.

Did any of you actually read the article? Nain rogue is partly right. While Orr's spokesman and Gary Brow Noser clearly said that thy shut off the power intentionally, it wasn't to keep Dan Gilbert's offices from going down.

Orr, who was appointed by Governor Rick Snyder to replace all of the city’s elected officials under the state’s “Emergency Manager Law,” is the sole authority over the city of Detroit. He answers to no-one except the Governor. He is not elected and cannot be fired. Nowling told local reporter Dennis Kraniak: “City grid customers were asked to reduce power, but failed to, so we had to move to intentional outages.” Smiling, speaking to the camera, another city official, Gary Brown, said that some buildings in the district were contacted and people were asked to turn off their air conditioners. He then says that people “didn’t respond as fast as we would like them to, so we had to send them a strong message, by turning off the power.” [[Watch the interview with Brown on the video below.) When asked what he plans to say to the people still “trapped in elevators in 90 degree heat” a still smiling Brown replies that he is restoring power to those buildings.

The intentional power outage also shut down the City-County Building, the McNamara Building, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Detroit public library and the Detroit People Mover, a main source of public transportation in the city.
    And from the article in question...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...s-power-outage

...Here's what city officials are saying:

On Wednesday, Bill Nowling of Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr's office told Fox 2's Alexis Wiley:"The outages are precautionary measure while DTE and city crews work to fix two main lines in the grid that went down earlier today."

Nowling also said, "That city grid customers were asked to reduce power, but failed to, so we had to move intentional outages to protect crucial service...."

...Wiley

: Did any of the customers get any notice that the power would be cut?

Brown: We did start calling our customers prior to taking them down and asking them to turn off air conditioners, but they weren't responding as fast as we would like them to so we had to send them a strong message by turning the power off...
    Regardless of the intention, it just goes to further highlight the asshole-ish ways we do things around here. As they're accountable to no one in the city of Detroit, these troglodytes decides to risk the lives and safety of the thousands of citizens downtown just to prove a point. And these are the ones who are controlling our fate moving forward, especially as they plan to leave half of the city dark at night when it's all said and done.

Of course, I fully expect the apologists to come along in full force and defend these actions.

Another reason why I plan to leave Michigan.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-15-13 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Did any of you actually read the article?
    You don't need to read the article. The title of this thread was "Gary Brown Shut Off Power Downtown On 9/11 To Protect Dan Gilbert's Offices". Since the original posting "rumor" has been appended, much like Fox News appends questions marks to their lies.

The thread is about shutting off public buildings' power to protect private interests.

However, private interests aren't even on the same grid. Private companies get electricity from DTE, not the Detroit Public Lighting department.

This thread is nothing but an attempt to smear "the man", is based on lies, and has few facts to stand on.

I think Gary Brown was a total asshole during his Fox 2 interview as he smirked and chuckled about stranding people in hot elevators. I would even fire Brown if I were Orr.

However, this thread is about a conspiracy that all this was done to protect Gilbert, when in fact, that's completely irrelevant since private buildings aren't on Detroit Public Lighting's grid.

The article quoted, if you actually read it, doesn't even mention Gilbert.

It's just ridiculous the lengths that people will go in order to blame "the man".
    Last edited by Scottathew; September-15-13 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    You don't need to read the article.
    If anyone did, they would realize how despicable these actions were, regardless of the intentions.

But instead, everyone gets their panties in a twist because some dared speak negatively about the Messiah Dan Gilbert.

Never mind the fact that at least one person was injured because of this silly charade that could have been prevented by actual accountability by the citizens of Detroit and sane leadership. The fact that they did this intentionally then had the nerve to laugh and smile about it shows how Sociopathic they truly are. If I was one of the people impacted by this crap, either by loss of wages, injury or worse, I would find me a lawyer right away then sue the city of Detroit and every single individual that authorized this shit.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-15-13 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Of course, I fully expect the apologists to come along in full force and defend these actions.

Another reason why I plan to leave Michigan.
    Um OK... Dan Gilbert definitely is a pompous ass for what he's doing to Angelina's Bistro... there will that make you feel better?

However he has absolutely no significance to this thread... so when you leave... can you take 48009 with you, so we can put her out of her misery??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um OK... Dan Gilbert definitely is a pompous ass for what he's doing to Angelina's Bistro... there will that make you feel better?
    I don't really care about your Dan Gilbert. It had nothing to do with any of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't really care about anyone's opinion of Dan Gilbert relative to this incident. In fact, Dan Gilbert has nothing to do with any of my points in this thread.

Just amazing. Across the river in Ontario, we have so many Windmills and solar farms in Windsor's counties that the Ontario Government is paying operators not to run Windmills because we have no way to use all the power. We cancelled the construction of two new gas fired plants at a cost of $588m to taxpayers. We have $7B in bad 20 year solar contracts signed with Samsung. We have to pay nuclear plants not to add more power to the grid.

Ontario sold $648m worth of surplus electricity to the US at a net loss of over half a billion. We have to discount the cost of surplus electricity so much because Michigan doesn't even want it. I can't understand why Detroit has rolling blackouts when Ontario produces so much power that they have to pay operators not produce electricity at a rate very close to what we would pay them to produce electricity.

We have plenty of cheap electricity for sale if you want it.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...igger-debacle/

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Just amazing. Across the river in Ontario, we have so many Windmills and solar farms in Windsor's counties that the Ontario Government is paying operators not to run Windmills because we have no way to use all the power. We cancelled the construction of two new gas fired plants at a cost of $588m to taxpayers. We have $7B in bad 20 year solar contracts signed with Samsung. We have to pay nuclear plants not to add more power to the grid.

Ontario sold $648m worth of surplus electricity to the US at a net loss of over half a billion. We have to discount the cost of surplus electricity so much because Michigan doesn't even want it. I can't understand why Detroit has rolling blackouts when Ontario produces so much power that they have to pay operators not produce electricity at a rate very close to what we would pay them to produce electricity.

We have plenty of cheap electricity for sale if you want it.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/201...igger-debacle/
    The problem wasn't lack of power, it was failure in the transmission lines from DTE to DPL. I think the better question is "why does DPL still exist?" Most of the cities in the country get power to their public buildings directly from the power companies and do not try to run their own separate utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The problem wasn't lack of power, it was failure in the transmission lines from DTE to DPL. I think the better question is "why does DPL still exist?" Most of the cities in the country get power to their public buildings directly from the power companies and do not try to run their own separate utility.
    Ah, I see. The OP mentioned Gary Brown intentionally shutting power off in select areas to "to prevent a rolling blackout in Detroit". But, the OP says downtown is on a separate grid, yet Dan Gilbert's offices were avoided and Gary Brown had cut the power to other buildings.

It sounded more like insufficient power generation capacity since Gary Brown could control which buildings were shut off rather than failure in transmission lines.

Ah, I see. The OP mentioned Gary Brown intentionally shutting power off in select areas to "to prevent a rolling blackout in Detroit". But, the OP says downtown is on a separate grid, yet Dan Gilbert's offices were avoided and Gary Brown had cut the power to other buildings.

It sounded more like insufficient power generation capacity since Gary Brown could control which buildings were shut off rather than failure in transmission lines.
    They were probably trying to prevent a cascading failure by shutting down part of the system. [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_failure)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I think the better question is "why does DPL still exist?"
    This is a great question. I believe they're working on phasing it out. DTE is much better at delivering electricity than DPL.

You can generate all the power in the world, but if you don't have the transmission capability, it doesn't go from point A to point B. Too little power was entering the DPL system so they had to ration it with rolling blackouts.

Yes, the DPL has its own grid, but past incidents suggest that if DPL fails, it can stress DTE's grid, as well. Wayne State's own grid, for example, is about half DPL, half DTE. Brown made the decision that risking power outages for DTE's customers was unacceptable, so he shut off DPL customers. That Kevyn Orr is in the process of phasing out DPL and handing off all city electrical business to DTE is, of course, purely coincidental.

I blame the Illuminati, and the New World Order.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    I blame the Illuminati, and the New World Order.
    Holy Crap!!! Gary Brown IS Orr's "Carmalengo"!!! A coincidence... I don't think so!!

Brilliant RedemmerKid. Brown said himself that he shut the power off the way he did to send a message. I'm speculating as to what exactly the message was. What's so conspiratorial about that? It's public knowledge that Orr views the Detroit government with contempt. You honestly don't think there were any politics involved in the way the outage was handled?

Brilliant RedemmerKid. Brown said himself that he shut the power off the way he did to send a message. I'm speculating as to what exactly the message was. What's so conspiratorial about that? It's public knowledge that Orr views the Detroit government with contempt. You honestly don't think there were any politics involved in the way the outage was handled?
    Why does there have to be a conspiracy behind his actions? Why can't it simply be that he's an asshole?

I think the tie-in to Gilbert is a conspiracy theory.

What actually happened and what Brown says happened might be two different things as well.

And there's chance that [[as noted by 313WX) Brown is just an asshole.

The message was that The Hitler GOP is here to crush the Poor Citizens of Detroit. You have to understand, this is a FULL GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER where they are TRAPPING SENIOR CITIZENS IN HOT ELEVATORS SO THAT CORPORATE AMERICA WON'T HAVE TO PAY TAXES FOR THEIR HEALTHCARE. Its all part of Dear Leader Snyder's agenda to ruin Detroit and replace it with the World's Biggest FEMA Deathcamp. It is also truly awesome that such amazing sites, like Addicting Info, allow for their citizen reporters to type whatever they want and post it. I'm also glad this went viral, considering that the article isn't full of exaggerations and willfully negligent claims, all for some blame game.

I'm pretty sure that whoever decided to turn off the power did it to avoid a non-intentional blackout and that this is pretty common practice when an electrical grid is under unusual stress, such as when it is 97 degrees in September. I don't really think Kevyn "Hitler" Orr was "Trying to punish the citizens", as this terribly written and terribly sourced article says. I'm pretty sure he was trying to prevent further damage to an already shitty system.

Brown did "send a message". He told the building managers that "when I say shed your load, I mean shed your load NOW".

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that whoever decided to turn off the power did it to avoid a non-intentional blackout and that this is pretty common practice when an electrical grid is under unusual stress, such as when it is 97 degrees in September. I don't really think Kevyn "Hitler" Orr was "Trying to punish the citizens", as this terribly written and terribly sourced article says. I'm pretty sure he was trying to prevent further damage to an already shitty system.
    It wasn't even the fact that part of the grid was shut off. It was the way it was done.

Unless you live under a rock, it was well known at least a couple days in advance that Tuesday and Wednesday would be hot. If they knew power transmission would become an issue as a result of the heat, they could have went to the news media and gave everyone a warning that said buildings would be closed or have no power due to the extreme weather [[like Detroit Public Schools does when there's a snowstorm), not just a quick phone call to only the building supervisors ADVISING people to reduce their power usage. There's no telling how many people depended on that electricity for medical equipment or were stuck on the elevators for hours because you have bitches in charge who want to throw their tiny little balls around in your face.

And what really burns me is that troll Gary Brown has to nerve to laugh and giggle about all of this. My mother, who is 59 years old is on a cane, suffers from terrible hot flashes and wears an ostomy bag. If she was one of the folks stuck on those elevators because that fucking dickhead wanted to teach people a lesson, I'd be going straight for his skull right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast