Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Charles Pugh from resigns Detroit City Council

It's about time! FORMER Detroit city councilman Charles Pugh resign due to allegation involving possible sexual relations with a Madison Heights teen in his mentor mentorship program.

Here is the source.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...9/-/index.html

Pugh went AWOL for Detroit City Council and was hiding in Seattle, WA. Now he claims he is looking for new job in New York City, NY. Good riddance to that no show! He is one bad news reporter to everyone in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Good riddance to that no show! He is one bad news reporter to everyone in Detroit.
    And one bad council city president too. Amen to this. Only thing is, he should have never been in a position where he could resign. There should be process whereby he was kicked off, due to his absence.

I know Pugh has his haters and going AWOL after the allegations was inexcusable. But he seemed to do OK his first 3 years on Council. It was a definite improvement over MonCon and he was usually on the side of those trying to do the right thing. He was probably in over his head as Council president but he rarely seemed to indulge the worst excesses of Detroit politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I know Pugh has his haters and going AWOL after the allegations was inexcusable. But he seemed to do OK his first 3 years on Council. It was a definite improvement over MonCon and he was usually on the side of those trying to do the right thing. He was probably in over his head as Council president but he rarely seemed to indulge the worst excesses of Detroit politics.
    I understand what you are getting at and trying to say, but looking at the totality of his term as councilman, he was just as bad as Monica. I mean, when you add it all up, he was not an improvement. Maybe certain timeframes of his term were better than certain timeframes of Monica's terms but in the end Monica never fled to another city to avoid accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior towards a minor. In all, they both were disgusting examples of the scum that seem far too often to rise to the top of Detroit politics.

Conyers resigned from Council after being convicted of federal crimes. Pugh's been accused in the media and never charged with anything. Not saying he's clean or right but there's a mile of difference between Conyers and Pugh.

True, Pugh has not been convicted of anything, but running away from the problem certainly is not statesman-like behavior. Pugh should be able to deal with the accusations better than most as he already had experience with the media before running for council. Finally, resigning because he found another job is the ultimate insult and certainly disrespects the city, and those who supported and voted for him in the first place.

I hope whomever is considering hiring him takes a good look at his behavior over the last year. He didn't like how his job was going and was having problems outside of work anyways, so he just stops going to work while still getting a paycheck.

I'm with Novine on this one...

Crumbled_Pavement... your comment that he should never have been in a position where he could resign??? Huh?? What does that mean in this supposedly free counry of ours??

I think he likely got tired of the criticism he was getting [[he was no friend of most on this forum).... and knew the fickle nature of media newspeople... so his leaving in the dead of night is of absolutely no surprise.

As for comparing him to MonCon... I think he had a hell of a lot more decorum than Mrs. Batshit Crazy did...

Now as for any illegal liason with an School age kid... that will come back to haunt him...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm with Novine on this one...

Crumbled_Pavement... your comment that he should never have been in a position where he could resign??? Huh?? What does that mean in this supposedly free counry of ours??

I think he likely got tired of the criticism he was getting [[he was no friend of most on this forum).... and knew the fickle nature of media newspeople... so his leaving in the dead of night is of absolutely no surprise.

As for comparing him to MonCon... I think he had a hell of a lot more decorum than Mrs. Batshit Crazy did...

Now as for any illegal liason with an School age kid... that will come back to haunt him...
    If you just disappear from a job with no explanation or communication as to why, yes you should be forced off the council instead of being able to simply resign. I highly doubt the criticism he got from this forum, citizens, or the public in general had anything to do with him hightailing it out of the city to hide in Seattle. Decorum? Sure maybe he had more decorum, I never said he didn't. I said he was scum. Where he had decorum he made up for in being incompetent, weak, and ineffective. We agree on the alleged liaison, which is already biting him in the ass now. It's why he ran off, not this forum. Hell, this forum was much harder on Kilpatrick and Monica and neither of them left because of what was said here. LMBAO.

It's gone to hell in a hand basket since you left it to them Charles. They're gone bankrupt; going to sell the DIA, Belle Isle and the Zoo; renege on repaying Investors; stop paying Pensions; knock everything down that's still standing; run a train up and down Woodward stopping every 100 yards, and if that's not enough, give Orr and Snyder keys to the City. You're needed back here Charles; they just don't know what not to do next. If you don't come back and sort it out it'll pinned it on you when it's all over.
    Last edited by coracle; September-14-13 at 02:17 PM.

Coracle... I don't often agree with you... but you do have a good sense of humor...

Pugh is indicative of what's wrong with having celebrity candidates in major political office in the city. It's highly unlikely that a TV host, a singer, a spouse of a long serving congressman with no discernible political skills would have the skill set to right the ship that is Detroit. Too often they treat there position as just a job, that's why its easy for them to just jump up and quit when things get rough. Besides these folks can't dip into the cookie jar anymore since the Feds sealed the lid.

.... especially when they're Gorilla Cookies...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What upsets me the most is that Charles Pugh just walked off the job. No explanations whatsoever.

We all get it in the sense that the city was going down like a house of cards at times but I still felt that since he was an elected official he owed us a bit of an explanation to his departure. Just walking out is a coward's way out.

I would've asked him to explain to the constituency that things are bad- we get it and might even be able to sympathize with you! We understand that the State imposed an EFM on you, the mayor and everyone else charged with running the City- just let people know. Again, we might even be able to sympathize with you.

Instead we're all left to wonder what part of the country Charles Pugh was going to make an appearance. He was seen in Seattle. He was seen in New York City. He was seen all over the place but here with us fellow Detroiters whom he supposedly cared for. Walking off the job no matter how horrific the job is is just unprofessional- whether they be a journalist or an elected city official. We deserved better from Charles Pugh.

And I had no opinion on whether he was a great leader on City Council or not; that's another post at a another time. I'm just commenting on how he left the Council, the City, and its people. I lost a huge measure of respect for him when he just disappeared and handled the crisis like a coward. He owed the people that elected him some sort of explanation why he abandoned us.

He was smart to wait until his resignation was old news. How many people really care all that much anymore? I was like "Oh, him? I thought he'd been gone."

Charles Pugh from resigns Detroit City Council

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    He started out his term by wrapping a City vehicle around a telephone pole, avoiding a stray dog, or stray kid or, some damn thing. Then it was swept under the rug until Faux Too News, or someone uncovered it.

Well stated. I laughed that he is being so coy and secretive about his new employment as though that type of thing will remain private for long. What is he changing his name? Plastic surgery too??

Good bye... we don't have time to cater to this type of distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Pugh is indicative of what's wrong with having celebrity candidates in major political office in the city. It's highly unlikely that a TV host, a singer, a spouse of a long serving congressman with no discernible political skills would have the skill set to right the ship that is Detroit. Too often they treat there position as just a job, that's why its easy for them to just jump up and quit when things get rough. Besides these folks can't dip into the cookie jar anymore since the Feds sealed the lid.

Pugh walked away from his job and was a critical ally to the obstructionist block on the council. He started out good, with his "PICK YOUR SH*T UP" campaign and several other nice little things, but then he got bored doing day-to-day council work and started working on his abs... and well, it all went downhill from there. I don't think he was as bad as MonCon, but thats like getting the clap and saying "At least it isn't herpes".

He's part of the same failed "celebrities to the rescue" political movement as Dave Bing. Turns out that running a city is harder than just saying some nice-sounding stuff, and requires actual [[boring procedural) work. At least Pugh had the grace to actually disappear, instead of disappearing in plain sight like Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    He was smart to wait until his resignation was old news. How many people really care all that much anymore? I was like "Oh, him? I thought he'd been gone."
    I guess it really showed his true character. Again, who can blame the guy for not wanting the position but there are dignified and proper ways to make an exit and shitty ways to ditch the people who elected him. I say he took the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    He's part of the same failed "celebrities to the rescue" political movement as Dave Bing. Turns out that running a city is harder than just saying some nice-sounding stuff, and requires actual [[boring procedural) work. At least Pugh had the grace to actually disappear, instead of disappearing in plain sight like Bing.
    Totally agree. Didn't vote for pugh and if I recall properly I only voted for Kenny. He is no fire brand like his father, whom we knew and admired but he is sensible, honest and solid. He would have made a decent mayor. I am sorry city government is losing him to private industry.