Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sending Detroit Back to the Stone Age

Dan Gilbert doesn't like seeing the whole truth about him or his organization put on display in the public arena.

That seems like bully behavior. So does this.

I don't know Tom personally, but a few who are close to me have a long history with the guy going back to the now-defunct Bally Cork [[name Anglicized for the Gaelic-deficient), and every single one of them speaks highly of the guy, well beyond mere compliments, including those who worked with him before he was 'the boss'. I hope he wins this lawsuit and creates some precedent against having this seeming bully single-handedly drag Detroit back to the Flintstone era by chasing away those who have put their heart and soul and lifetimes into making something great in the city.

This town is becoming radically divided between those who kiss Dan Gilbert's ass and those who'd much rather kick it. In between are a growing number of individuals learning how this fellow deals with those who don't agree with him...or hold a place he would rather fill.

[[Wonder when those huge neon signs will be hoisted up to the top of One Woodward...were they purchased before they were approved?!)

I took the liberty of adding my interpretations of the statement released by the company regarding the lawsuit with Tom from Angelina's Bistro...

“We are disappointed that a tenant/landlord dialogue would be aired in the news media, because this taints the incredibly polished persona created by our highly-paid PR team, and we now have to hire an outsider 'crisis' team to clean THIS mess up at a thousand bucks an hour plus expenses. We do not comment publicly on these matters, since it would likely incriminate us. Not only do we charge market or below market lease rates [[which are easily offset by dramatic and unethical increases in charges hidden in the fine print of all our leases, and please ignore that we now define what 'market rates' are in Detroit) but we make every effort to promote our tenants’ businesses [[if we like them and/or have invested in them and/or they sell colorful, fun crap to distract our young employees) by marketing their products and services in numerous ways [[but don't ask us to actually numerate them, please see the first two statements above). We have a strong interest in the success of our commercial tenants [[so they can pay their rent and these abusive fees we arbitrarily assess, hey some of these trappings of success can be expensive to maintain) and go above and beyond to help support their operations [[as long as they agree to give a discount to all of our employees, and properly approach and consider our CEO's derriere!). We are proud of our tenant relations and track record with all businesses we [[publicly) engage with downtown, everybody loves us...you can take that to the bank.”
    Last edited by Gannon; September-13-13 at 08:52 AM.

I have other experiences with folks who've been on the less-generous side of the latest savior of the city, but refrain from talking about them upon their request. There is more to this story, evidences gathered as more of the Gilbert juggernaut is played out downtown. I've said in the past that I was on the fence about the guy, but didn't trust him. Now...I've spotted a trend of decent and good people being displaced and otherwise negatively affected by his organization. Indeed, some...many...or all of them may be unintended consequences. I want to believe that...but as the trend continues to reveal itself, without significant correction in behavior and/or reparations for those unsettled...I don't see how Dan Gilbert can be redeemed.

But I still feel he can be...it just won't be by dollars, it'll be by sense.

Here is a link to the Detroit News article on the above:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

That Detroit News article is exactly why I'm not feeling what's going on downtown and Dan Gilbert.

I'm all for the so-called comeback, but not if the ultimate price means corporate dictatorship/Monopolization by a man with a major Napoleon complex [[and no, there was no knock towards Benny Napoleon there), then I'll pass.

And I imagine this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Gannon..I can't take anything you say about Dan Gilbert seriously. Your track record has been one negative comment and smear against him after another. You have this unexplained hatred for him that you make no effort to hide. It's like trying to take Fox News seriously as a "Fair and Balanced" source of information. But then, what would you expect from a guy who insanley believes that a "low level humming sound" in the neighborhood is some kind of dark government conspiracy?

Yeah, sounds like Angelina's doesn't want to pay their pro rata share of common area fees, and that they're mad because they messed up when switching the numbers when sending the utility check.

It's sort of like the Duggan filing date thing, IMO. Duggan shouldn't have been off of the ballot nor should Angelina's be subject to eviction, but a technical error is still an error, and Duggan and Angelina's had/have to face the consequences if Davis/Barrow and Gilbert, respectively, want to enforce the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Gannon..I can't take anything you say about Dan Gilbert seriously. Your track record has been one negative comment and smear against him after another. You have this unexplained hatred for him that you make no effort to hide. It's like trying to take Fox News seriously as a "Fair and Balanced" source of information. But then, what would you expect from a guy who insanley believes that a "low level humming sound" in the neighborhood is some kind of dark government conspiracy?
    I'm as fair as my gut instinct leads me...and am always happy to learn when I'm wrong. From the data gathered thus far, though, it doesn't look too promising from the perspectives yet considered.

Touché on the Faux-slant...I'll try to keep a watch on the good things he's done and report on 'em closely. He did put a sparkle on One Woodward, but the lady is tired of being in a box. The music by the old bank building seems more weapon than entertainment, but it is a start.

As for The Hum [[pay it some repect, will ya?!)...does that mean when it is proven you'll then believe EVERYTHING I ever posted?!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; September-13-13 at 09:46 AM.

The renovations to the restaurant, especially the open-air windows are spectacular. Kudos to Tom for what he's done to that space in the years he's been there.

I also know he was originally pretty excited when Gilbert purchased the Madison, but one can only imagine the stress that accompanies trying to run a business, and not just pay bills, but turn a profit, renovate the space to something classy, and just completely be hen-pecked [[to the point of being ripped off?) at every turn. And it is a great location NOW, especially with the Broderick renovations.

And his staff is great, and extremely friendly. I hope all this plays thru to everyone's advantage.

I wish Tom all the best. I'm sorry this has turned into such a fiasco. He should be grandfathered in and not required to pay for the other amenities since he was there first.