Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anytime Fitness Opening Up In Downtown Detroit!

The rumors are true: Downtown Detroit is getting a new fitness center. A giant [[and rather awesome) storefront within the Security Trust Lofts building will be home to the Fitness Center, which will be open 24 hours and already has over 2,000 locations worldwide. Hooray!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...wn-detroit.php

Great news... Old Hardees is now a fitness place. Close to my work too.

An actual gym besides the Y. Starting to look like a city down there. Just need a Taco Bell and a House of Blues and we can call it a day.

This is dream come true. A exercise gym in Downtown Detroit. Folks around here need to quick workout before that head to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    An actual gym besides the Y. Starting to look like a city down there. Just need a Taco Bell and a House of Blues and we can call it a day.
    There is a great gym at the Millender Center already. In addition there is the DAC. Nah I'd take a Cheesecake Factory over a taco bell. I want overpriced food in huge portions!

very cool. I hope also more gyms open elsewhere in different neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    very cool. I hope also more gyms open elsewhere in different neighborhoods.
    Until you get crime under control you won't have the market in most of the neighborhoods. Disposable income is already an issue in many neighborhoods, couple that with those with disposable incomes are preyed upon. Too many places in the City where people are afraid to leave their home on a regular schedule because there is no guarantee that it won't be broken into once they figure out your pattern.

Until you get crime under control you won't have the market in most of the neighborhoods. Disposable income is already an issue in many neighborhoods, couple that with those with disposable incomes are preyed upon. Too many places in the City where people are afraid to leave their home on a regular schedule because there is no guarantee that it won't be broken into once they figure out your pattern.
    booo. I want a gym

I think more important than a gym opening downtown, is something 24/7 opening downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Actually there IS a House of Blues... of sorts.

Bert's Blues on Broadway just opened up next to Henry the Hatter. It's an interesting place. New Orleans themed with Poboys and all.

It hasn't been well publicized, but is by the same Bert of Eastern Market fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think more important than a gym opening downtown, is something 24/7 opening downtown.
    Coneys are open 24/7 as is Receiving Hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Coneys are open 24/7 as is Receiving Hospital!
    But not Lafayette :-[[
    Last edited by Spartan; September-12-13 at 03:32 PM.

Opening on Jan 1, reportedly.

the first 100 people who sign up, who will receive half-off their down payment and be charged only $32 per month. You must sign up for your membership in person 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/anyti...ippresale.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Opening on Jan 1, reportedly.

the first 100 people who sign up, who will receive half-off their down payment and be charged only $32 per month. You must sign up for your membership in person 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/anyti...ippresale.aspx

Yes but no parking :/ There is a garage right behind it, they need to work out a monthly pass deal with that garage.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnbonham View Post
    Yes but no parking :/ There is a garage right behind it, they need to work out a monthly pass deal with that garage.
    It is not there to cater to parkers, it caters to office workers and apartment dwellers who are already in the area. The last thing the CBD needs is another business that has to have parking in order for it to survive. The owners obviously see the niche without additional parking demand or they would have located this in Livonia.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-08-13 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It is not there to cater to parkers, it caters to office workers and apartment dwellers who are already in the area. The last thing the CBD needs is another business that has to have parking in order for it to survive. The owners obviously see the niche without additional parking demand or they would have located this in Livonia.
    There are plenty of people who live outside of a walkable distance, such as in Midtown, who would consider joining this gym if there is an option for parking. Plus many members of FitnessWorks in New Center are dissatisfied, particularly the hours, and would look elsewhere.

This is a huge additional market for them, which is why it is in their best interest to look into making a deal with a local garage.

That is nothing like opening up a strip mall gym in Livonia.

Even many such gyms in cities such as Chicago include the option of a parking pass for the adjacent parking structure. This is an add option, so that those who live or work in a walkable distance can enjoy paying for the gym and only the gym, but those who live outside this area but still want to join a 24/7 gym close by can.

I'm holding out for a Lifetime Fitness.

The gym options on the east side of town are absolutely horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm holding out for a Lifetime Fitness.

The gym options on the east side of town are absolutely horrid.
    Lifetime Fitness is highly unlike. Outside of the Twin Cities, their founding location, they stick to their big box suburban parking lot design.

An a related topic, when this gym was first announced many outlets said it was Detroit's only 24/7 gym. Many years ago one of my friends managed to smooch his way onto someone's DAC membership. I could have sworn that the DAC was 24/7. Am I mistaken, or did it change since then??

Lifetime Fitness is highly unlike. Outside of the Twin Cities, their founding location, they stick to their big box suburban parking lot design.

An a related topic, when this gym was first announced many outlets said it was Detroit's only 24/7 gym. Many years ago one of my friends managed to smooch his way onto someone's DAC membership. I could have sworn that the DAC was 24/7. Am I mistaken, or did it change since then??
    Even if so, DAC is a private club. You can't walk in there off of the street and get a membership.

There are plenty of people who live outside of a walkable distance, such as in Midtown, who would consider joining this gym if there is an option for parking. Plus many members of FitnessWorks in New Center are dissatisfied, particularly the hours, and would look elsewhere.

This is a huge additional market for them, which is why it is in their best interest to look into making a deal with a local garage.

That is nothing like opening up a strip mall gym in Livonia.

It is not like this is the only gym offering memberships Downtown. As mentioned earlier there is the DAC, but there are also a lot of other more affordable options. These include the Courtyard at Millender Center that offers a low priced membership, the Y, WSU, and the Coleman Young Recreation Center all come to mind. I am sure there are more.

The structure you mention is owned by Gilbert and serves the other buildings on the block that he owns. I doubt he would be willing to give up his spaces for this as parking has become quite valuable of a commodity as witnessed by the guy who thinks he can rip down the historic bank next to the Penobscot to provide more parking.

Detroit's CBD is advancing to the point where it can sustain businesses without providing parking. How is this a bad thing? Isn't that the direction that we want to go? The more demand for parking the more lots and structures there are. Do you really think Detroit's CBD needs to be more like Houston than it already is? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=downt...gl=us&t=h&z=17
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-08-13 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Even if so, DAC is a private club. You can't walk in there off of the street and get a membership.
    DAC is 24/7, but yes, it is also a private club. By the way, I called...no pool at this Anytime Fitness location!

I am completely opposed to this gym opening. It makes it harder still for me to say "I don't have time to go to the gym." The war on fat people continues... [[tongue in chubby cheek).

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    DAC is 24/7, but yes, it is also a private club. By the way, I called...no pool at this Anytime Fitness location!
    That's what I thought, that it was 24/7. The Free Press article stating that Anytime Fitness would be the only 24 hour gym specifically mentioned DAC as an establishment that wasn't.

And to the prior poster, I never suggested building more structures. I would love if there was another locating in Midtown, I would walk to it [[they have exclusive rights for the franchise in more locations including Midtown and is a topic they may revist in the future depending on the downtown's success). All I suggested is they try to strike a deal with a nearby structure to provide some sort of parking deal for those who are outside this zone, ala Boll Family YMCA does with Olympia and with Opera House. I know many people who live near by [[Brush Park, New Center, Midtown) who would join with this option.

And yes Gilbert may give up spots if they had restrictions to them, as Olympia and Opera House do. If these garages are filled primarily by 9-5ers, than he could sell passes only valid from say 7PM-6AM. There would be a market for this, as the people predominately purchasing would be those who do not work close by to walk there, and peak gym hours are right after the end of the work day. Gilbert makes more money, Anytime Fitness can attract more customers.

I don't know for sure the peak hours of his garage, it is only speculation. But it is something he could easily figure out.

There are plenty of people who live outside of a walkable distance, such as in Midtown, who would consider joining this gym if there is an option for parking.

HELLO M1-RAIL... god i can't wait till this friggin thing is up and running..
    *ducks and hides from purists who are going to bitch about it being curbside running*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast