Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Post 911 Paranoia?

.... a bit of a general question, but has Detroit successfully escaped [[the largely un-necessary?) "Post 9-11 paranoia" ?!?

I don't even know what the question is. Certainly we are more aware that Muslims are not the devil but rather our neighbors.

Now call me paranoid, but I don't know if we will ever escape being paranoid of terrorists. We just know that not every Muslim is an Arab, or every Arab is a Muslim. We also know that terrorists come in all sorts of packages.

12 years later. Our our once free country is still lives in fear! In memoriam to over 3,000 people who died in the World Trade Towers.

I don't know what "Post 9-11 paranoia" is, but if there's any city that doesn't have it, it's Detroit.

Back in 2001 I was young, dumb, and got all my news from Faux News. I've grown a lot since my younger, war-happy, xenophobic past.

The Detroit area's diversity does help to break down a lot of the overt racism, but we've got a lot of room for improvement.

Hey, thanks 48307, whoever you are... I agree Fox is utter and abject schitt....

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Hey, thanks 48307, whoever you are... I agree Fox is utter and abject schitt....
    How is Fox abject schitt? And please do not give the tired lame party line.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    How is Fox abject schitt? And please do not give the tired lame party line.
    Hey p69... I agree that they're little better than MSNBC... but they never retracted their "Obama takes $2 billion trip to India" sensationalistic headlines... all based on the comments of some middling low level Indian beaurocrat... So they [[like so many stations) lost their credibility with me...

Any news organization that slants a bias in one direction or the other is not worthy of reporting news.

Unfortunately, that seems to include all the news media, be they left or right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Any news organization that slants a bias in one direction or the other is not worthy of reporting news.

That was where I was going with the question. Also by not taking in all sides of a story/event one does not get the full story.

Based on the hugely stepped-up border security presence, bridge crossing hassles, and even the effect on pleasure boaters in the US/Canadian waters I'd say "no". We have not escaped unscathed. The Federal government is spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    Based on the hugely stepped-up border security presence, bridge crossing hassles, and even the effect on pleasure boaters in the US/Canadian waters I'd say "no". We have not escaped unscathed. The Federal government is spooked.
    What people don't seem to understand is that we are at war. We've got men and women still fighting and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq, and now this crap looming with Syria. Almost the entire civilian population has been so well-insulated - and certainly, entirely unscathed - from the war this past decade they bitch about delays at the border and their irresponsible recreational boating habits. The war is so distant and often abstract that apparently it doesn't seem real. However, it is.

I guess the Federal Government is indeed "spooked." After the USS Cole, 9-11, the Underwear bomber, Benghazi, and numerous diplomatic assassinations, it almost makes you think that we're being deliberately targeted by foreign extremists.

That said, I don't know what we're still doing over there, or what we are doing in Iraq in the first place. However for some reason a bunch of you elected a thug, twice, under whom we got attacked and mired in endless wars. Sure we should have taken out the Taliban. And left.

There is a reality to both sides. Ultimately, we are at war and will forever be the target of foreign radicals. We need to respond accordingly. However, we don't need to go around leveling random countries and staying there.

I'm also writing this from a deployment, quite some distance from good old Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm also writing this from a deployment, quite some distance from good old Detroit.

Keep safe my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Well put. Fox News is garbage -- but so is everyone else. Fox distorts with a right leaning lens. Others distort just as much to the left. So what. Listen. Decide. Choose. But stay engaged.

Demonizing those with other viewpoints just isolates us. You may not agree with the right [[left), but good ideas come from all over. Look at Obamacare. Good idea from the right -- implemented by the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well put. Fox News is garbage -- but so is everyone else. Fox distorts with a right leaning lens. Others distort just as much to the left. So what. Listen. Decide. Choose. But stay engaged.

Demonizing those with other viewpoints just isolates us. You may not agree with the right [[left), but good ideas come from all over. Look at Obamacare. Good idea from the right -- implemented by the left.
    How is a program that has yet to be implemented a good idea? That great idea will now cost me between 6,000 and 8,000 a year. I have absolutely no interest in paying that but the alternative is to go to jail. You must be joking if its a "good" law.

I got hit by a Porsche and have no post 911 paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    What people don't seem to understand is that we are at war. We've got men and women still fighting and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq, and now this crap looming with Syria. Almost the entire civilian population has been so well-insulated - and certainly, entirely unscathed - from the war this past decade they bitch about delays at the border and their irresponsible recreational boating habits. The war is so distant and often abstract that apparently it doesn't seem real. However, it is.

I guess the Federal Government is indeed "spooked." After the USS Cole, 9-11, the Underwear bomber, Benghazi, and numerous diplomatic assassinations, it almost makes you think that we're being deliberately targeted by foreign extremists.
    Touche'. I absolutely agree that all the current wars have very little domestic impact. Perhaps a war tax should be implemented on all residents to make at least the financial impact of the war felt. Maybe that would make people pay closer attention to a conflicts realities and be more vocal with their representatives about war. I am worried that our constant military involvement overseas creates more foreign extremists rather than eliminating them. I also worry, and this is what my post did a poor job of stating, that we slowly slip into a world where we see enemies all around us all the time and begin to insulate ourselves from our closet neighbors.

I'm not an isolationist, but constant low grade warfare around the globe cannot be a long term positive for the United States.

We are not "at war" with anyone.

We are involved in skirmishes around the world which benefit a few oil companies, arms dealers and manufacturers, and international bankers...things General Smedley Butler would call part of the racket.

Let me know when a sovereign nation attacks us.

We have never been at war with Canada, as far as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    We are not "at war" with anyone.

We are involved in skirmishes around the world which benefit a few oil companies, arms dealers and manufacturers, and international bankers...things General Smedley Butler would call part of the racket.

Let me know when a sovereign nation attacks us.

We have never been at war with Canada, as far as I can remember.
    As far back as I can remember, Canadians didn't fly our aircraft into our buildings, or try to set their bomb-containing underwear on fire on board our flights over populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    As far back as I can remember, Canadians didn't fly our aircraft into our buildings, or try to set their bomb-containing underwear on fire on board our flights over populated areas.
    Exactly.

Of course the ones who purportedly did the former were from Saudi Arabia, and the latter was a ruse enabled by a 'well-dressed man' in the airport in the Netherlands, according to an attorney in Taylor who has not changed his story since it was first reported.

Please don't confuse the False Flag events, nor ignore the simple fact that both of the events you mention were exactly that. Have you ever read the declassified documents regarding Operation Northwoods?

Cheers!

Ok, so maybe I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    How is a program that has yet to be implemented a good idea? That great idea will now cost me between 6,000 and 8,000 a year. I have absolutely no interest in paying that but the alternative is to go to jail. You must be joking if its a "good" law.
    You're going to jail? What?

And I think we escaped quite a bit, being that we have a large Muslim population and we're all too busy worrying about other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hey p69... I agree that they're little better than MSNBC... but they never retracted their "Obama takes $2 billion trip to India" sensationalistic headlines... all based on the comments of some middling low level Indian beaurocrat... So they [[like so many stations) lost their credibility with me...
    According to this, they're a little worse than MSNBC:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/m...orst-informed/

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    You're going to jail? What?

And I think we escaped quite a bit, being that we have a large Muslim population and we're all too busy worrying about other things.
    motz from what I understand is that if you do not pay for insurance you end up in jail under obamacare.

Wow, unbelievable. You know what else? While you're in jail, they will sterilize you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast