Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What do you think about both Duggan's and Napoleon's plans for Detroit?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Napoleon stated that Duggan copied his plan to use as his own.

Benny Napoleon is channeling one Bunny Colvin. In theory, it makes sense. One develops a relationship with the officer in their neighborhood, both become more trusting of the other. The citizen isn't afraid to "snitch" to the police, and the policeman doesn't go around thinking everyone is a criminal.

We do need community policing in our ghettos of Detroit. But that would take money and brave people which would be very difficult. Detroit is dead broke and folks don't snitch in public. Our recent Detroit leaders tried similar plans, but they don't implement it. I rather find a plan that does not involve too much money and more heart fulfilling volunteering work.

1. fix the person

2. fix the families

3. fix the kids

4. fix the neighborhoods

5. fix the schools

6. fix the neighborhoods

7. fix our leaders

8. fix our government

9. fix our society

How simple can it be. Nice try Benny! You have to do better than that if you want folks to vote for you.
    Last edited by Danny; September-11-13 at 10:43 AM.

It sounds like Benny is just making up crap as he goes along and that Duggan is actually prepared to present things to people. Seriously, "HE STOLE MY PLAN WAHH"? Then maybe you should've released your plan when you came up with it.

I have questions about both but I will start with Benny's plan. On the surface something like this is simply community policing and it should work. However, I thought the mini-station concept might work also and we know what happen with that. Where did Benny get his data from he said this concept reduced crime 34% when he was chief and he figures that number could go up to 50%. Oh really ! What makes you think that ? What historical data do you have to back that up ? Where else is this being done and what is this effectiveness. How do you balance out the workload ? Some square miles you could use 5 officers, other square miles 1 officer would be like the Maytag repair man. Will the areas have officer coverage during the main officers off hours. Crime doesn't always happen 9-5 on a weekday. I'm sure there are other questions. For skeptical folks such as myself and I'm trying to keep an open mind, Benny's One Square Mile plan could make or break his candidacy

To all Detroiters who want to listens to Benny or Mike's plans for Detroit's Future, read the story of the Peacock and Magpie and you will get your answer.

Plans are necessary, but plans don't get things done. Either plan here could be made to work. The devil will be in the details of actually getting anything done. That's where we need a strong mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Plans are necessary, but plans don't get things done. Either plan here could be made to work. The devil will be in the details of actually getting anything done. That's where we need a strong mayor.
    You are right plans don't get things done. Both plans can be made to work. However if either plan works we should see a noticeable improvement in our quality of life. I look at the plans as a basis of a report card. If you show that you are leadership material and get elected this is how you will be evaluated at the end of your term. Did you hit your goals ? exceed them ? why or why not ? As part of the electorate I believe its our responsibility to began to put a greater amount of accountability on our politicians not only behavior wise, but in actually how they do the jobs and the promises they make.

Doesn't a lot of what Napoleon plan entails sound just like COMSTAT?
    Chief Craig already initiated about two weeks ago.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...mputer-systems

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Napoleon stated that Duggan copied his plan to use as his own.
    I read the article. Nowhere did I see where Napoleon said Duggan copied his plan.

That said, I came into this election not liking either candidate. However, most everything Napoleon has done has made me less likely to vote for him in the general election. On the other hand, when I look at Duggan's plan vs. Napoleon's plan, it's a no-brainer. I'm all for reducing crime in the city, but Napoleon seems to be riding a one-trick pony. Where does his plan address blight, scrapping, other city services and attracting business?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I read the article. Nowhere did I see where Napoleon said Duggan copied his plan.

That said, I came into this election not liking either candidate. However, most everything Napoleon has done has made me less likely to vote for him in the general election. On the other hand, when I look at Duggan's plan vs. Napoleon's plan, it's a no-brainer. I'm all for reducing crime in the city, but Napoleon seems to be riding a one-trick pony. Where does his plan address blight, scrapping, other city services and attracting business?
    Actually he said it on camera on Fox 2 that aired this morning.

Crime is on everyone's mind, because it's so there, but the first thing needed to be fixed is the financial mess. Because of the lack of money, we have all the
    other problems, crime, blight.......Benny is not the one to fix this. Even if Orr
    manages to get things on an upturn, I doubt that Benny will be able to keep up the momentum.

Whats b.Napo? Career law enforcement. What will he automatically default back to every single time? More police on the streets, thats where his bread gets buttered. It would all work if there was a finite # of criminals. If that was the case it would make an awful lot of sense to track em all down. I would say. Benny Napoleon is the man for the job. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Tommorow's criminal is 13 years old, his dad didn't finish school, can barely read and couldn't find legitimate work and resorted to either stealing or selling drugs, they were the only viable options in an area with very few opportunities, he got caught up and was sent to prison. His mom is likely a professional mom, paid by the state via public assistance and foodstamps to babysit her own kids. She very well may not care what her kids do just like her parents didn't care what she did. Either that or she simply cant handle them. I dont think B.Napoleon is a stupid man, less crime in Detroit = less business for B.Napoelon.This is a good way to ensure Detroit stays stuck. Detroit definitely needs police. Can Detroit afford a cop per square mile? Last I heard Detroit couldnt afford cop cars or basic supplies for the fire dept. Regardless of what he might say I think this is the core of his platform and I think its a very weak foundation.
    I dont know what Duggan's plan for the city is. Hopefully more business oriented. If you can establish a solid core downtown you may be able to generate the tax $$$ for things like police and some jobs for residents with few if any skills. Construction, cleanup, landscaping, janitors, painters,
    That said my opinion doesn't count, I dont have a vote, I live in the suburbs. Im just bored and procrastinating on homework.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Whats b.Napo? Career law enforcement. What will he automatically default back to every single time? More police on the streets, thats where his bread gets buttered. It would all work if there was a finite # of criminals. If that was the case it would make an awful lot of sense to track em all down. I would say. Benny Napoleon is the man for the job. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Tommorow's criminal is 13 years old, his dad didn't finish school, can barely read and couldn't find legitimate work and resorted to either stealing or selling drugs, they were the only viable options in an area with very few opportunities, he got caught up and was sent to prison. His mom is likely a professional mom, paid by the state via public assistance and foodstamps to babysit her own kids. She very well may not care what her kids do just like her parents didn't care what she did. Either that or she simply cant handle them. I dont think B.Napoleon is a stupid man, less crime in Detroit = less business for B.Napoelon.This is a good way to ensure Detroit stays stuck. Detroit definitely needs police. Can Detroit afford a cop per square mile? Last I heard Detroit couldnt afford cop cars or basic supplies for the fire dept. Regardless of what he might say I think this is the core of his platform and I think its a very weak foundation.
    I dont know what Duggan's plan for the city is. Hopefully more business oriented. If you can establish a solid core downtown you may be able to generate the tax $$$ for things like police and some jobs for residents with few if any skills. Construction, cleanup, landscaping, janitors, painters,
    That said my opinion doesn't count, I dont have a vote, I live in the suburbs. Im just bored and procrastinating on homework.
    Your point is good -- but of course not politically correct in Detroit. There's a belief that neighborhoods have been ignored in favor of downtown development. I support strong downtown development. A strong core will then support the neighborhoods. I think its already doing that.

Detroit should take note of NYC's 'recent' rebirth. Focus on crime and good governance with a strong business attitude -- driven by Guiliani and Bloomberg. This is also politically incorrect these days. Many don't really believe in Guiliani/Bloomberg approach. I do.

If Detroit can make it an attractive and safe place for businesses -- the sky's the limit.