Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another bike riding question...

How would you bike ride from 6 Mile and Inkster Rd. in Livonia, to the River Walk downtown? Best routes?

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    How would you bike ride from 6 Mile and Inkster Rd. in Livonia, to the River Walk downtown? Best routes?
    It can be hard to find an east-west route that isn't so damn fast that you feel like a target as a cyclist. That said, I used to bike from Cass Corridor to West Dearborn, and I felt that Warren Road was generally pretty cycle-friendly, at least as far as, say, Outer Drive. I'd recommend it as a final leg into the city. As for west and north of that, not really sure.

There is not really a good fast direct route. I'd say take Inkster south to Hines Drive. Head east on Hines bike path, which is really nice. When you go under Ford Rd you pick up the bike path that goes behind U of M Dearborn and Henry Ford CC campus. Really nice ride back there with a bridge over the Rouge River. Worth a quick stop to check out Henry Ford Manor, too. It lets out on Michigan Ave in Dearborn at Andiamos Restaurant. From there take Michigan east to downtown. Michigan Ave has a bike lane. Worst part will be Inkster Rd south to Hines.

Why not McNichols to Grand River to Woodward and down? About 16 miles that way. I also like that Michigan route ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Why not McNichols to Grand River to Woodward and down? About 16 miles that way. I also like that Michigan route ^^^
    Yes, get to Grand River and ride it all the way into Downtown, then make a right on Woodward, to the River. You'll see some the worse of the city's destruction and detritus as you ride that long stretch of Grand River into town - and I wouldn't stop if beckoned - but it's a huge street with relatively low traffic. Even my [[older) girlfriends bikeride GR into Downtown. Granted, these are Black women used to the city, but you get my drift.

Take a break at the MBAD Bead Museum, which is an outdoor art installation, something of a Heidelberg Project of the West Side. You can't miss it, it's a group of houses covered in painted African symbols and mirrors. Recently rated by a travel site as one of the top places to visit in Michigan. On any given day you may see visitors there from anywhere in the world.

The bike group "Monday Slow Roll" landed there 2 weeks ago. 1,600 bike riders on a warm Monday night, one of those sweet Detroit moments.

Great suggestions. Thanks! The Hines Park to Michigan Ave. route sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I agree most direct route. Not too much traffic on Grand River these days outside of Greenfield area.

From 6 mile and Inkster I would ride over to 7 Mile and Grand River and throw my bike on the bus. I've ridden Grand River for years but now prefer to save my energy for riding out to Belle Isle.

Finally did this bike ride yesterday! Livonia to Belle Isle via Inkster Road, Hines Drive, Michigan Avenue, Woodward and the River Walk...then back home. Saw some of the best and some of the worst of the city, had a picnic, got soaked. Great times...

I hope to peddle on a recumbent bike at the gym this week. Promises, promises.

When I used to cycle [[for real) I used to love biking at night, cool breezes, the street lights and the shadows your silhouette makes. Dangerous, but great times!

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    Hines to Ford, Evergreen to MI Ave., MI Ave. to 12th. Warren is good, but iffier than MI Ave., IMO.