Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Don’t Fall for the "Churned" Ice Cream Scam

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/default.aspx

You're at a friend's barbeque, all set to indulge in some ice cream for dessert, when your host offers you a choice between original vanilla or "slow churned" vanilla. Quick! Which do you choose? Slow churned, right? It sounds positively artisanal—handmade on the farm by some wholesome milk maiden. Or something out of the slow-food movement—an ice cream you can feel good about, a product of sustainable agriculture and fresh, local ingredients. But you'd have made the wrong choice: In the ice cream business these days, "churned" is just a clever marketing ploy, a euphemism for low-fat.
    I knew it! Just another ploy. Low-fat? Give me the REAL stuff, arteries be damned.

M-m-m-m...wholesome milk maidens...slowly churned. Now THAT sounds like a party!

ccbatson Guest

If a person prefers the taste, and taste is what they want, how is a person "falling for" anything?

I think I'd know if I fell for a wholesome milk maiden.

I'm SURE I'd prefer the taste...and taste IS what I want.

Damn. You're right again, Cc.

The History Channel recently re-ran the "Ice Cream" chapter from the series "American Eats". One of the segments discussed "Slow Churned" & the Dreyer's representative even stated it was low fat & the concept was to fool your taste buds into thinking you were eating the "real thing" so to speak.
    http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=69712

I had some slow churned[[Butter Pecan) for the first time at a friend's over the weekend & it wasn't bad at all.

BF loves it, swears its low fat. So I purchased some edy's I will try it tonight.

Real ice cream and not a bunch of air try Schwans. For a test, put a scoop of anything else in a glass along with a scoop of Schwans in another glass. Let them melt and stand for a day or two, evaporate and compare the CREAM content left behind.

Don't matter which to me; just make sure there's plenty of Hershey's chocolate syrup over it.

This would never fly at Calders Dairy.

Somehow, reading this thread, what came to mind is how foam soap has replaced liquid soap in numerous restroom dispensers. I figured out why, because I decided I liked foam soap and researched how to make my own. The 'recipe' is generally 1 part liquid soap to 8-10 parts water, meaning if you have a foam dispenser, you can buy 80%-90% less actual soap. I wonder if this is the theory behind slow-churning... the process probably gives you less actual ice cream for the price. Not that truth in advertising would ever bring this information up for either product...

Yeah, you're onto the core of it.

I remember WAY back when...I forgot a McDonald's 'shake' in my car and it melted down to 2/5 the volume of the original before I remembered it.

Started a whole theory that McDonald's real success was finding new ways to have us eat colored and shaped air. OR all of their food was whipped in some way. Then I wondered why.

That helped me quit that habit.

So, back to those milk maidens...I might have to get to the Calder factory store.

Avoid their carmel mocha ice cream, though, it has HFCS...seems carmel is a favorite gateway vehicle for this chemical into our youth. Of course, I've never read an infant formula bottle.

Churn-on!

Sorry, but we still miss Guernsey Farms Dairy ice cream.
    http://guernseyfarmsdairy.com/products.htm

Nothing better on a hot summer night than their Choco-Malto Chip [[although Mrs. jiminnm prefers the butter pecan). we spent far too many evenings at the dairy. It's probably why we lost weight after moving to NM [[although Taos Cow is more than passable).

Ray, next time you're in the Det area, pick up some Guernsey chocolate syrup.

I miss ice milk, which I guess was just "light" ice cream before they started adding all that crap in it to make it taste "thick" - the lightness of it was what I liked it for. Now it's impossible to find anything even remotely similar.

Had some Edy's slow churned strawberry the other day. Just as tasty as the full-fat variety, IMHO. So bring it on!

If by some chance there's no ice cream sign me up for a large serving of the wholesome milk maidens along with Gannon.

ccbatson Guest

If it was a scam, and consumers did not like it, would it exist?

If McDonald's food was really full of air, why do people get so fat eating it?

I like the idea of milk maidens, in their little cotton tops, turning and turning the churn.The cream getting thicker with each rotation. mmm.

I hear they have something like that, Thursday nights, at Cheetas.

~sigh~

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    If McDonald's food was really full of air, why do people get so fat eating it?
    They don't fart enough?

ccbatson Guest

McDonalds burgers and fries are not "churned" are they?

I was joking with Gannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Started a whole theory that McDonald's real success was finding new ways to have us eat colored and shaped air. OR all of their food was whipped in some way. Then I wondered why.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; July-15-09 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    McDonalds burgers and fries are not "churned" are they?
    Well, maybe in our stomachs after eating,

"Crap in, Crap out"
    Last edited by jams; July-15-09 at 08:49 PM.

I was postulating on the reasons why one would put any extra energy into churning, then remembered the whipped air theory from years ago...it all fit together in my noggin.

Went to Calder's tonight...their evening Maiden was a bit Goth for me, and didn't seem interested in any churning.

Then went to my father's for my sister's birthday dinner, and wouldn't you know it.

Step-mother bought Slow Churned Ice Cream...don't remember the brand. It tasted fine with the bumpy cake.

Cheers on the flipside...

The only decent all natural commercial ice cream anymore is Haagen-Dazs. Even Breyer's is adding nasty stuff to increase shelf life.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I like the idea of milk maidens, in their little cotton tops, turning and turning the churn.The cream getting thicker with each rotation. mmm.

I hear they have something like that, Thursday nights, at Cheetas.

~sigh~

minus the little cotton top, of course.

ccbatson Guest

You can't tell or taste any of those preservatives and they are no more harmful than the high fat and sugar content [[actually much less so).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast