Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not Much of a Manhunt 09/09/2013

I was parked across from Russell Street Deli/Zeff's this morning, and caught news of the escaped prisoner from Frank Murphy Hell of Justice on WDET. I'd just driven from downtown on I-375 to the Gratiot exit, which I never do...but had the 'urge' this morning to not stop at stoplights before breakfast, and that was the only legal way to do it.

Along the way, I saw NOTHING amiss...other than a bit of traffic on Gratiot heading into the concrete canyons. Not a siren. Not a flashing light. Not a helicopter. Nothing.

I sat in my car a bit before heading in for a plate...looking around and expecting at least a drive-by. Nothing.

Still news...guy remains on the loose...deputy supposedly kidnapped, another injured [[I say this because I only heard it on the radio on the drive to Southfield). No sirens. No flashing lights. NO helicopters, news or otherwise. Nothing.

I drove back by on the freeway entrance towards I-75 on the way to 96...and saw not a single police action.

I don't get it. Is this the most low-key manhunt possible?

Did Bob Bashara pay someone to raise a ruckus so he could sneak out of his hearing?!
    Last edited by Gannon; September-09-13 at 10:26 AM.

Plenty of excitement around my house. Helicopters, local and state police cars, dog units. They seem be gone now.

Nope... helicopter is back again. They concentrated quite a bit on the gas station on Kercheval between Sheridan and Field. A little surprised that a car with a bull horn didn't drive the streets warning to stay in and lock doors. Maybe they don't do stuff like that anymore. Common sense says if he was armed he would have jacked another car if he went there. I walked up to that station earlier this morning for smokes. Yikes.They say he dumped the police outfit but where did he get new clothes? Sounds like he got picked up by pre arrangement

We have a lot of foot and street traffic so passerbys gave us updates. No house to house searches just the canine unit on the blvd. Plenty of abandoned houses to hide so hope the dogs are good.

I saw a helicopter at lunch time near Gratiot\I-375.

I know the injured deputy very well. Thank God he is doing well! Everyone always says he's the nicest and most dependable guy they know.

Napoleon said he would prefer to have more than one deputy on duty to handle multiple prisoners but the department’s budget doesn’t allow it.

“We don’t have the money,” he said.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...O01/309090053/

How much are YOU taking home Benny?

Are they calling Dog Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I know the injured deputy very well. Thank God he is doing well! Everyone always says he's the nicest and most dependable guy they know.
    Sorry your friend got "caught in the cross hairs" Glad he wasn't harmed too bad. Just wish none of this had happened. If you see him, let him know the community sends prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sorry your friend got "caught in the cross hairs" Glad he wasn't harmed too bad. Just wish none of this had happened. If you see him, let him know the community sends prayers.
    Thanks, Sumas. I know he & his family appreciate the well wishes and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I was parked across from Russell Street Deli/Zeff's this morning, and caught news of the escaped prisoner from Frank Murphy Hell of Justice on WDET. I'd just driven from downtown on I-375 to the Gratiot exit, which I never do...but had the 'urge' this morning to not stop at stoplights before breakfast, and that was the only legal way to do it.
    He fled out of the court area across 75 to the area of Lafayette Park, where he was seen, then easterly down Lafayette/Larned. This area was - for all practical purposes - under siege, with all the police excitement you'd ever want to see, and some you didn't want to see, for sure. Some of the L.P. residents were frightened out of their wits, not knowing what was going on. This was south of where you were.

Detroit Police, Michigan State Police has caught a black male who has stabbed a Wayne County Sheriff Deputy and escape from Frank Murphy Hall of Justice Building just moments ago. The escapee carjacked a woman and head down to his girlfriend's house somewhere in Detroit's lower east side. Then he ran off trying to find leave town when a tip lead the police to area on Mt. Elliot and I-94 FWY. They caught him red handed.

I bet Dan Gilbert had a hand in catching this guy...

I was amused how Benny inserted himself into all the TV interviews. Frankly I wanted to hear from our new Detroit police chief.

Too bad so much manpower isn't given to other murders, assaults, robberies, etc

I was amused how Benny inserted himself into all the TV interviews. Frankly I wanted to hear from our new Detroit police chief.

Early on Benny started playing the blame game. "We are understaffed.. we don't have anything to do with the Frank Murphy building other than transporting prisoners" . He seemed to come down to earth when he realized that some of his protocols for handling prisoners may have been broken and a internal investigation needed to be launched. Later on after the capture he seemed better. I could be wrong but Benny when faced with a potentially embarrassing situation his default response is to blame something or someone else.

I was amused how Benny inserted himself into all the TV interviews.
    Well, in this case, it was Benny's show. His mismanagement allowed it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Early on Benny started playing the blame game. "We are understaffed.. we don't have anything to do with the Frank Murphy building other than transporting prisoners" . He seemed to come down to earth when he realized that some of his protocols for handling prisoners may have been broken and a internal investigation needed to be launched. Later on after the capture he seemed better. I could be wrong but Benny when faced with a potentially embarrassing situation his default response is to blame something or someone else.
    If we had a cop for every square mile, he would have caught the assailant as he dropped off the stolen van.

Ain't THAT the truth. I was shocked driving in from work yesterday. Last time I saw that many cops and equipment in one spot was @ the Tiger Stadium Policeman's Field Day. People get into confrontations, then get stabbed or shot every day, and die, because it takes the cops an hour or more to show up.

Glad to hear that the deputy's condition was reported to be non life threatening.

That being said, it makes me question some of the departments' policies. It's reported that he is a 63 year old retired Detroit police officer. Isn't 63 a little old to be responsible for transporting criminals [[who tend to be younger males). And in a time of sustained high unemployment rates why not hire a young man who needs a job rather than letting a retiree double dip at the public trough, getting both a pension check and a paycheck.

As Meddle says below, this was Napoleon's show. It was under his jurisdiction where it happened, one of his sheriffs that was injured, and it will now be up to him to justify the procedures that were in place. Chief Craig had his fair share of airtime too, but his message was directed toward capturing the fugitive.

I agree that it did seem ludicrous for Napoleon to blame the budget for this. If you are the chief, you work with the budget you've been given. I'm not saying it's an adequate budget, but if you're the top dog, you either get your funding increased, or find ways to get the job done without putting your deputies in danger. What's he going to say if he's mayor? Is he going to blame the taxpayers for not contributing enough to his budget?

I was amazed that they do this procedure with one unarmed deputy. One of the dailies reported that both Oakland and Macomb sheriffs don't follow this practice. These are felons, many of them desperate because they are on their way back to prison. Can you really trust two prisoners to stand still and be quiet while you're busy taking the chains off a third prisoner? And, what cop, sheriff, trooper, or hell, two-bit security guard, doesn't do their job without a pistol?
    Last edited by downtownguy; September-10-13 at 12:43 PM.

@ Gannon:
    You and I must've been in different cities yesterday, because I drove around the city three times from early morning through early evening, and I saw police EVERYWHERE. I saw them in cars, I saw them on bikes, and I actually saw a couple of cops walking the beat, which never happens anymore. From my downtown apartment window, I could also occasionally see helicopters. I think the manhunt was incredibly intense.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    @ Gannon:
    You and I must've been in different cities yesterday, because I drove around the city three times from early morning through early evening, and I saw police EVERYWHERE. I saw them in cars, I saw them on bikes, and I actually saw a couple of cops walking the beat, which never happens anymore. From my downtown apartment window, I could also occasionally see helicopters. I think the manhunt was incredibly intense.
    Yup, for sure.

Gannon, I'm surprised that you of ALL people didn't hear that high hum of a police helicopter and those vehicles all over the place.

Benny can look at this as the day his campaign died.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They caught him red handed.
    If this was true then there would be no manhunt.

He wants to make sure that having him responsible of catching that fugitive would gain some votes for Detroit mayoral race. I'm not falling for it and neither should Detroiters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast