Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 320
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    48009 you start a thread on this forum asking the question "If you were 22-26 Years Old Would You Move To Detroit Right Now"....

    Then you spend all your energy and all your replies saying you'd have to be insane to do so.

    That's not a debate.... that's a LECTURE. Since you're mind is already made up... why did you even start this thread. To open up your mind to other possibilities? Or just to tell everyone they're crazy if they want to stay behind.

    Don't be so daft... I don't think you've convinced very many people with your POV.
    Exactly.

    But be careful...48009 may start blaming black people for being black like he/she did in a previous thread.

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    when i moved back to Detroit i was younger than 22. I left when I was 6, returned when I was 18 and remained till 26ish. As a young adult I stayed the far east side near Whittier and Harper mostly because it was cheap. Nice 3 bedroom house 300 a month no roommates. Would I do it over? No. Except for Nottingham every block between the freeway and Kelly along Whittier was occupied and kept. Over that time I had couple break-ins, a armed home invasion & mugged twice near home. Home invasion was the final straw. Scared the shit out of me, guys with guns convinced there was a bunch of $$$ in the house & all I had was rent. Failed experiment... And this is before the public service meltdown.
    If i was a student at WSU or CCS and 22-26 I might consider living near campus or downtown. Thats about all
    .... Rex, not wanting to laugh at your misfortune, but I seriously hope you "had words" with your home invaders. Tell them to go back to Crook School and get re-trained or demand a refund (at knife point). A young guy living in sub-standard accommodation got robbed by a bunch of dicks thinking they'd stumbled on a potential goldmine ?!?

  3. #78
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    I disagree with your first sentence. The conversations I've had with New Yorkers about my time living in Detroit has been extremely vibrant and engaging, especially in professional settings. If anything, I'd say that my short-term experiment living in Detroit has provoked an incredible amount of discussion around the city's future. The novelty of moving to a distressed city provides a heap of positive returns for someone that moves away to other cities seeking employment.

    (Note: I realize that my above comments probably evokes a visceral reaction within a lot of lifelong Detroiters, but I think it's important to understand how those that are emotionally and financially detached from Detroit perceive those that are fully attached -- or used to be.)

    Your latter statement, 48009...that requires a whole lot more digging. If anything, I'd love to see the Gilbert/Venture for America/Challenge Detroit crew get together and figure out what exactly they're trying to accomplish through their heightened sense of attention toward young professionals. If they're under the unified impression that they're out to rescue the city from itself and its past transgressions...then, yeah, a recalibration is in order.
    Fascination is one thing, getting people to move here is another story.

    Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.
    Last edited by 48009; September-11-13 at 09:26 AM.

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.
    Because sometimes people prefer the challenge than the easy way out.

  5. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.

    My roommate and I recently interviewed 10+ people to move in to our extra room at our place in Woodbridge. Out of those roughly 10 people, only 2 were from the Metro Detroit area. Saying no one wants to move here from out of state, saying it is a death sentence, etc is just flat out wrong. It might be a death sentence for an old fart from Birmingham such as yourself, but not for someone in their 20s-30s.

    You seriously need to stop posting about your unabashed hate for Detroit. It is a tired old schtick that we have all heard for years and years and years, especially those of us who moved from the suburbs to Detroit. Its old, you're old, Birmingham is old, get over it. Things are changing.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Fascination is one thing, getting people to move here is another story.

    Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
    Actually, that is an opinion, not a fact.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    My roommate and I recently interviewed 10+ people to move in to our extra room at our place in Woodbridge. Out of those roughly 10 people, only 2 were from the Metro Detroit area. Saying no one wants to move here from out of state, saying it is a death sentence, etc is just flat out wrong. It might be a death sentence for an old fart from Birmingham such as yourself, but not for someone in their 20s-30s.
    ...but I thought the perk of living in Detroit was not needing roomates? j/k

    Yes, he's being overly general and all that "death sentence" stuff is pure bullshit.

    The issue is given the Chicago/"real city" vs Detroit ..MOST, not all, but a huge amount of the state's next generation are leaving. 56% of new Cook County residents are from Michigan... and most of them are products of the Michgan's taxpayer's largess through public universities. http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...210079901.html

    Illinois is reaping the advantages of a world-class education system without paying for it. The University of Michigan, a legacy of the state’s days as an industrial powerhouse, is ranked 29th on U.S. News and World Report’s list of national universities. The University of Illinois is 46th. Because Chicago is a more attractive labor market than Detroit, Illinois is poaching a higher caliber of college graduate than it produces on its own. (The University of Chicago is ranked 4th and Northwestern is ranked 12th, but both are private universities.)
    The free ride won’t last forever, though. As Michigan becomes poorer and less educated, it won’t be able to attract the same quality of professors or maintain its universities’ educational standards. Someday, a degree from Illinois will mean more than a degree from Michigan. Michiganders will still be moving to Chicago -- but they may not be getting the jobs that pay for condos in expensive neighborhoods.

    The issue is how do we keep the college grads here. I say it has to do with massive investment in infrastructure to make Detroit the core city it's supposed to be. However, we're getting parking shuttle trolley and a soon to be had fire sale at the DIA. So.... I doubt it.

    Last edited by bailey; September-11-13 at 10:28 AM.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Originally Posted by 48009
    Fascination is one thing, getting people to move here is another story.

    Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.


    Actually, that is an opinion, not a fact.
    Actually, it's a pretty close to fact....

    Despite the increase in job openings in Michigan, many employers continue to experience difficulty in trying to persuade workers to accept positions there because of the state’s reputation for having a challenging labor market environment.
    http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377

  9. #84
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    My roommate and I recently interviewed 10+ people to move in to our extra room at our place in Woodbridge. Out of those roughly 10 people, only 2 were from the Metro Detroit area. Saying no one wants to move here from out of state, saying it is a death sentence, etc is just flat out wrong. It might be a death sentence for an old fart from Birmingham such as yourself, but not for someone in their 20s-30s.

    You seriously need to stop posting about your unabashed hate for Detroit. It is a tired old schtick that we have all heard for years and years and years, especially those of us who moved from the suburbs to Detroit. Its old, you're old, Birmingham is old, get over it. Things are changing.
    I'm a "20-something" graduate student from Chicago living in Birmingham but O.K., slugger.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    I'm a "20-something" graduate student from Chicago living in Birmingham but O.K., slugger.
    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. 1) You're from Chicago(land) which already means you have a chip on your shoulder and think you are God's gift to the Midwest. And 2) You live in Birmingham, which means you're probably from the north shore or Elmhurst or Palatine because if you were from the city you could probably handle living in Detroit or at least see that Detroit has great potential and not have this attitude you have.

  11. #86
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Actually, it's a pretty close to fact....

    http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377
    How dare you post facts on here that confirm what anyone with a brain or a few thousand frequent flier miles already knows?

  12. #87
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. 1) You're from Chicago which already means you have a chip on your shoulder and think you are God's gift to the Midwest. And 2) You live in Birmingham, which means you're probably from the north shore or Elmhurst or Palatine because if you were from the city you could probably handle living in Detroit or at least see that Detroit has great potential and not have this attitude you have.
    Yea, that's it. Just not tough enough for your burnt out, rotten (sorry, "ruin porn"), illiterate, crime infested city. You sound ridiculous.

  13. #88

    Default

    ...and yet you don't deny.

    You Chicago people just love to rip on Detroit. And that's exactly what you've done. Suppress your inferiority complex from NYC and LA by having a superiority complex on Detroit, Milwaukee, Indy, etc.

  14. #89
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Because sometimes people prefer the challenge than the easy way out.
    Interesting. Define challenge in this context, please.

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Interesting. Define challenge in this context, please.
    They want to rebuild and redefine a city. You can't do that in NYC or Chicago or LA. And that takes a lot of work, considering the condition the city is in.

  16. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    They want to rebuild and redefine a city. You can't do that in NYC or Chicago or LA. And that takes a lot of work, considering the condition the city is in.
    Which is true, but you have to admit, as a population, that is a vanishingly small one. I mean, look, when they show up in countable numbers, its a friggen long form story in the NYTimes.

    Meanwhile, more than half the people moving to Chicago are from here because they don't want to wait, and they want options OTHER than being an activist/urban pioneer/city redefiner.

  17. #92
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Which is true, but you have to admit, as a population, that is a vanishingly small one. I mean, look, when they show up in countable numbers, its a friggen long form story in the NYTimes.

    Meanwhile, more than half the people moving to Chicago are from here because they don't want to wait, and they want options OTHER than being an activist/urban pioneer/city redefiner.
    You have one life on Earth. College graduates willingly spending the most exciting time of their life in what is currently literally the worst major city in the country is hard for me to comprehend.

  18. #93
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    They want to rebuild and redefine a city. You can't do that in NYC or Chicago or LA. And that takes a lot of work, considering the condition the city is in.
    Most of the 20-something college educated people I know couldn't give a **** about rebuilding a city. They want to work, make money, have fun and be around like minded people NOW. Rebuilding a city is a nobel thing, I guess, but a very small fraction of 20-somethings care about wasting their life away on such an effort.

  19. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Most of the 20-something college educated people I know couldn't give a **** about rebuilding a city. They want to work, make money, have fun and be around like minded people NOW. Rebuilding a city is a nobel thing, I guess, but a very small fraction of 20-somethings care about wasting their life away on such an effort.
    To them it's not "wasting" their lives. They want to be here, they want to affect change. Detroit needs 10k more of them.

    I really don't get the hostility.

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    You have one life on Earth. College graduates willingly spending the most exciting time of their life in what is currently literally the worst major city in the country is hard for me to comprehend.
    which raises the question; why the hell are you spending your 20s in Birmingham? Talk about wasting your 20s.
    Last edited by bailey; September-11-13 at 12:07 PM.

  20. #95

    Default

    Yes, he's being overly general
    but.......

    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. 1) You're from Chicago(land) which already means you have a chip on your shoulder and think you are God's gift to the Midwest. And 2) You live in Birmingham, which means you're probably from the north shore or Elmhurst or Palatine because if you were from the city you could probably handle living in Detroit or at least see that Detroit has great potential and not have this attitude you have.
    <wait, isn't that......>

    Actually, that is an opinion, not a fact.
    <I agree>

    But be careful...48009 may start blaming black people for being black like he/she did in a previous thread.
    <yikes - time to go>

  21. #96
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    To them it's not "wasting" their lives. They want to be here, they want to affect change. Detroit needs 10k more of them.

    I really don't get the hostility.


    which raises the question; why the hell are you spending your 20s in Birmingham? Talk about wasting your 20s.
    10k suckers.

    Not hostile. I personally think the whole charade about dtown/midtown/Corktown coming back is a scam. I think most people who have more than a few thousand frequent flier miles know that current Detroit is one of the last major cities to move to as a 20-something. I'm only in disagreement over the delusional people who aren't aware of just how bad Detroit's current outlook, rep and current offers actually are.

    Free grad school and family.

  22. #97
    48009 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Exactly.

    But be careful...48009 may start blaming black people for being black like he/she did in a previous thread.
    FYI, I'm black.

  23. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Most of the 20-something college educated people I know couldn't give a **** about rebuilding a city. They want to work, make money, have fun and be around like minded people NOW. Rebuilding a city is a nobel thing, I guess, but a very small fraction of 20-somethings care about wasting their life away on such an effort.
    "Having fun" is subjective. If someone likes to work in a drab office all week then get wasted on $20 shots on the weekend in Lincoln Park, that's their preference. But some young adults, like the ones moving to Detroit, want to work, live, and play in a city that needs them and where they feel appreciated with creating a new and revived environment. They have fun just like the rest of the young adults across the nation.

    Like, bro, do you even go to the city? Have you even met people doing what you are complaining about? Ask them what they are doing and why they are doing it? Probably not, because you "asked" the question here so you can stand your Chicago/Bham pedestal and tell us all how awful and stupid those people are.

  24. #99

    Default

    like the ones moving to Detroit, want to work, live, and play in a city that needs them and where they feel appreciated with creating a new and revived environment.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO01/308010039

    Like the people of Southwest Detroit who take the time to spray paint anti-hipster graffiti on the walls?

    That kind of feeling appreciated? Got it.

  25. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO01/308010039

    Like the people of Southwest Detroit who take the time to spray paint anti-hipster graffiti on the walls?

    That kind of feeling appreciated? Got it.
    And this is a divide we must overcome, no doubt about it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.