Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: bicycle lanes

Default bicycle lanes

Just noticed what appear to be bike lanes painted on East Grand Boulevard and Kercheval from the Boulevard. Any comments or info? Is Detroit going green and safe?

This is good news. I wonder if the massive group rides like critical mass or slow roll have had any influence on creating more bicycle lanes in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    This is good news. I wonder if the massive group rides like critical mass or slow roll have had any influence on creating more bicycle lanes in the city.
    Don't kid yourself. It has a lot more to do with the very poor not being able to afford cars and too much capacity on existing roadways [[depopulation) than it does urban hipster events.

It is turning lemons into lemonade.

Bicycle lanes are slowly being painted on all the major thoroughfares in the core of the city and beyond. There is a non-motorized transportation master plan the city is working from. There are also plans for separate bike paths or greenways such as the Dequindre Cut, which will soon undergo an extension to Mack Ave and eventually to Hamtramck.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Bicycle lanes are slowly being painted on all the major thoroughfares in the core of the city and beyond. There is a non-motorized transportation master plan the city is working from. There are also plans for separate bike paths or greenways such as the Dequindre Cut, which will soon undergo an extension to Mack Ave and eventually to Hamtramck.
    Here is the Plan, man!
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...aster_Plan.pdf

Cities like NYC and Chicago have been adding a ton of bike lanes to city streets. The idea that bike lanes is due solely to everyone being too poor to drive seems more like your typical Detroit-think than paying attention to what's going on in urban areas across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    When I lived in NY, those Critical Mass f*ers AVOIDED bike lanes and trails, and clogged up streets and sidewalks [[and caused havoc for everyone, and more than a few injuries to others, as well as themselves). Judging by actions of the group, their sole goal was urban anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Cities like NYC and Chicago have been adding a ton of bike lanes to city streets. The idea that bike lanes is due solely to everyone being too poor to drive seems more like your typical Detroit-think than paying attention to what's going on in urban areas across the country.
    You don't think that NY and Chicago have huge underclasses that need to ride bikes? In terms of numbers, I am willing to bet Chicago has a lot more needy households than Detroit does, it is a city divided along economic lines much like Detroit is becoming. Both towns are exponentially bigger than Detroit is, but the poor still need to get to work. The cost of a cheap used bike and lock is about how much it takes to ride the bus for a month. About 20 years ago my sister was one of those who left for Chicago. She had several incidents when she was 'doored' while biking though the wealthier parts of town to get to her tiny studio apartment.

Safety is more of an issue in Chicago or NY. In Detroit we have unused infrastructure so we are putting it to use. It does however have obvious safety features regardless of where these are used.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Don't kid yourself. It has a lot more to do with the very poor not being able to afford cars and too much capacity on existing roadways [[depopulation) than it does urban hipster events.

It is turning lemons into lemonade.
    Well, Detroit is unlike every other city, but do you think they're THAT much different?

You don't think that NY and Chicago have huge underclasses that need to ride bikes? In terms of numbers, I am willing to bet Chicago has a lot more needy households than Detroit does, it is a city divided along economic lines much like Detroit is becoming. Both towns are exponentially bigger than Detroit is, but the poor still need to get to work. The cost of a cheap used bike and lock is about how much it takes to ride the bus for a month. About 20 years ago my sister was one of those who left for Chicago. She had several incidents when she was 'doored' while biking though the wealthier parts of town to get to her tiny studio apartment.

Safety is more of an issue in Chicago or NY. In Detroit we have unused infrastructure so we are putting it to use. It does however have obvious safety features regardless of where these are used.
    I did a study on this using data from CDOT for bicycle counts on roads. While bicycle infra and rentals do exist in low income areas, the lionshare of spending and bicycle usage goes to wealthy neighborhoods where more people use bicycles as a way of commuting and as you point out is more congested and dangerous. The bicycle rentals are extremely cheap in Chicago. $75 per year for a bicycle commute to work. Unfortunately these aren't being offered in low income areas.

The mayor has even openly said that the bicycle infra is to attract a young eductated workforce.
    Last edited by wolverine; September-06-13 at 06:48 PM.

Detroit is a more bike friendlier city than Chicago and New York due to Detroit has many less traveled streets such as E Warren/Forest, Kercheval, Vernor Highway, Jefferson at times, Gratiot, etc. I like the critical Mass but I love the Slow Roll better for they respect the red lights and don't make motorist, who have the green light wait

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Well, Detroit is unlike every other city, but do you think they're THAT much different?
    It is. There isn't the density and congestion and bicycle traffic levels that you find in NYC and Chicago. On my commute this morning I got stuck in a bicycle traffic jam. And bikes outnumbered cars on the downtown stretch. Detroit has wide enough streets where special engineering isn't required. Lots of space to get around. I found my bike rides far more peaceful in Detroit. Also there's the cost of building cycle tracks with special stop lights and barriers and now flyover bridges in Chicago

The bike paths are way cool. Frankly too old and no balance to do the bike thing but I so support the concept. Do have an electric scooter so yes I will use those "paths" too. Our oldest son occasionally rides his bike to work, GPP to Rosa Parks and Fort, the safer he is, the happier I am. He is 33 now but still my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It is. There isn't the density and congestion and bicycle traffic levels that you find in NYC and Chicago. On my commute this morning I got stuck in a bicycle traffic jam. And bikes outnumbered cars on the downtown stretch. Detroit has wide enough streets where special engineering isn't required. Lots of space to get around. I found my bike rides far more peaceful in Detroit. Also there's the cost of building cycle tracks with special stop lights and barriers and now flyover bridges in Chicago
    We are talking about entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    We are talking about entirely different things.
    not really the bike lanes are there because the cars ain't. it is not rocket science and it is a cheap improvement.

Still haven't checked out Whole Foods yet, but passing by, there was more bikes than cars parked. Very cool.

not really the bike lanes are there because the cars ain't. it is not rocket science and it is a cheap improvement.
    I suppose your original post was just completely misleading, sure. Or I can't determine what point you're trying to make.

Of course, I doubt anyone would be surprised if the city spent money on something that didn't have use.
    Last edited by noise; September-07-13 at 05:20 PM.

Are you serious? The bike lanes are there because the city is interested in fostering a bike-friendly culture. Regardless of the level of traffic on the roads, the city didn't have to add these lanes. And yes, it is a cheap improvement, but that makes the return on investment all the better. Detroit is already getting recognized for its efforts. The flat terrain, lack of congestion, and wide thoroughfares are an asset to bike-friendly culture. For the cost, I'd say it is a pretty good "plus" for current and prospective residents who enjoy biking for recreation and as a means of commuting.

Im glad too see bike lanes in Detroit gives people transportation options besides high auto insurance high cost car ownership,gasoline cost if this trend continues Detroit will come back fast and very popular place to live among the young people.I just wish they would put some bike lanes on west 7mile,w 6mile,west outerdrive,Livernois lodge to 8 mile woodward connecting to gateway shops

Quote Originally Posted by DETFUTURE View Post
    Im glad too see bike lanes in Detroit gives people transportation options besides high auto insurance high cost car ownership,gasoline cost if this trend continues Detroit will come back fast and very popular place to live among the young people.I just wish they would put some bike lanes on west 7mile,w 6mile,west outerdrive,Livernois lodge to 8 mile woodward connecting to gateway shops
    Detroit is making a great effort to put in bike lanes. It is relatively cheap and easy to do. I'm glad to see them go in.

Unfortunately, most of the roads cited above are not under Detroit's jurisdiction. You still have to convince Wayne County and MDOT to go along with the program. [[To give some credit, it was a banner day and a great precedent when MDOT put bike lanes on Michigan Ave.)

Detroit and other jurisdictions need to step up public education about the use and abuse of bike lanes. Motorists don't seem to care that the roads are striped for bikes. The bike lane on Trumbull has been there for ~2 years. You still see cars three-abreast, or a single car going straight down the bike lane.

Cyclists, you need to use the lanes. You ride in the bike lane going with traffic. No, you don't use the bike lane going the wrong way. Or worse, salmon down the street going the wrong way on the opposite side of the road.