Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Take Another Look At Detroit

I have this Detroit Convention Bureau video saved on my computer called Take Another Look At Detroit. It's a cool video from the early 70s. I'm pretty sure I got it from a post here, but don't remember exactly. I can't find anything about it online, it's not even on Youtube. I'm not sure how to get it from my computer onto here because there's no URL link.

It was made at that pivotal moment in Detroit where we could have been saved or, like we did, we could have been destroyed. Most of the people interviewed were white and just raving about how they live in the city and how it's such a great place. And Mayor Young beaming about the building of the RenCen.

Anyone have any idea where I could have gotten this or the history behind the movie? It was made for conventions to come here.

Upload it to Youtube! I'd love to see and share it with some of my friends

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Agreed.

I absolutely love looking at videos and pictures from that pivotal time in Detroit's history [[1970s and 1980s).

See this cvb promotional piece on Detroit from 1991
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvUtKQA2aSA

This to me is Detroit my youth and possibly it's peak. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUW5bqdKWew

I was raised white in Detroit. City services were great, rec centers, schools great etc. Most of our current friends are black and they have a totally different take. Black communities were seriously under served. Thanks to past administrations we are now ALL under served. A great leveler.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I did it! I didn't realize I could actually do that.

So presenting, Take Another Look At Detroit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCZI_RDApo

What strikes me is the comments at the end of the video where people insist on Detroit being a walking city. Of course in those days you could probably get anything you wanted in downtown Detroit, it was a bustling downtown with an inner city population that could feed all this activity. There is a normalcy there that is probably lost on a generation or more of folks who didnt experience this bustle. I'm confident that the city can regain by reinventing itself.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What strikes me is the comments at the end of the video where people insist on Detroit being a walking city. Of course in those days you could probably get anything you wanted in downtown Detroit, it was a bustling downtown with an inner city population that could feed all this activity. There is a normalcy there that is probably lost on a generation or more of folks who didnt experience this bustle. I'm confident that the city can regain by reinventing itself.
    Maybe this explains why so many young people in/around Detroit take off to other cities that are growing and bustling once they get the opportunity, and thus don't express as much as a tie to Detroit/Michigan as the previous generations.

They don't have the same connection to Detroit as those who experienced the 1940s-1970s Detroit. All of their memories of Detroit consist of the city being a hellish shell of its former shelf dying a slow death [[crap schools, widespread blight, widespread abandonment, crumbling infrastructure, corrupt/incompetent leaders, a homogenous/non-diverse population, etc.).

Also, economically, they missed out on the boom times that were experience during the 1940s-1970s, and also during the 1990s. They grew up in a city/region that has only been economically depressed.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-08-13 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Maybe this explains why so many young people in/around Detroit take off to other cities that are growing and bustling once they get the opportunity, and thus don't express as much as a tie to Detroit/Michigan as the previous generations.

They don't have the same connection to Detroit as those who experienced the 1940s-1970s Detroit. All of their memories of Detroit consist of the city being a hellish shell of its former shelf dying a slow death [[crap schools, widespread blight, widespread abandonment, crumbling infrastructure, corrupt/incompetent leaders, a homogenous/non-diverse population, etc.).

Also, economically, they missed out on the boom times that were experience during the 1940s-1970s, and also during the 1990s. They grew up in a city/region that has only been economically depressed.
    I admit that the youth of today in Detroit really didn't grow up in the environment of hope and excitement that I grew up in [[1950's/early 60's) and my kids [[80's/early 90's). I really loved the video from the 90's because it reminded me of the Detroit that I raised my kids in.

In 1970, Detroit was still a walking city. You could walk to a nearby shopping area, like Grand River and Greenfield or Grand River and Oakman and many others all over town and shop til you dropped. You could walk to restaurants and grocery stores right in your neighborhood and not just downtown.

It would be interesting to know what happened to the man with the ice cream and the single lady. He said he was going to raise his family here, I wonder where he lived and if it worked out...