Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Operation Ceasefire in Detroit

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-violent-areas

This looks like a promising program- reduced homicide rates in Boston by 60% !

I'm not optimistic.

The program's been around for years. Why wasn't it implemented before?

I notice one of the people who posted a comment at the end of the Ceasefire article, one Diane Bukowski, stated the following: "Dozens of ex-offenders were ORDERED to show up? Is this a condition of their parole or probation? That's not legal in the fist place. "Known gang members?" Known by whom - the police, who constitute nothing but a gang of thugs themselves? Where is the legal verification of their "gang membership?" When people come home from prison, they have PAID THEIR DEBT to society. To continue characterizing them as criminals is in itself criminal. The real CRIMINALS in Detroit and the U.S. are the banks which have laid waste to cities everywhere with massive predatory lending and illegal foreclosures, the corporations which have closed plants and other operations that used to provide decent jobs for people, and the governments which are privatizing every public service they can get their hands on, throwing more public workers out of a job. The real CRIMINALS nationally are waging wars across the world which cost the lives of millions of civilians as well as U.S. soldiers, largely there because of the economic draft. These wars also drain billions of dollars from our cities, which badly need them. This is a police state and a prison nation, and this story proves it." - some interesting points. If big corporations offer hope and are the answer to the problems of Detroit and its people, where can I find one in The D?

Default Ceasefire

Quote Originally Posted by morebread View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-violent-areas

This looks like a promising program- reduced homicide rates in Boston by 60% !
    Ceasefire is an org out of Chicago. Watch the documentary, the Interruptors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319744/?ref_=sr_1

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Ceasefire is an org out of Chicago. Watch the documentary, the Interruptors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319744/?ref_=sr_1
    In my research on the Chicago program, I read that it is actually now known as Cure Violence and no longer goes by the name CeaseFire Chicago. It is also appears to be of no relation to the program rolling out in Detroit.

Ceasefire Chicago was founded by a physician and does not seem to incorporate law enforcement in its implementation. According to wiki, it "is an anti-violence program and initiative of the Chicago Project for Violence Prevention aimed at reducing street violence by using outreach workers to interrupt potentially violent situations. CeaseFire Detroit was developed by David Kennedy of the John Jay College for Criminal Justice and is unrelated to the Chicago organization or Tio Hardiman.

Not really taking a side in this debate...but I do think before we all start arguing, let's make sure we're even talking about the same thing here.