Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The scrapping of Southwestern High has begun

I drove by yesterday and one of the ground floor windows is gone. It's been vacant for over a year so I'm actually surprised it took this long. Grass has not been cut in months, nothing covering the ground floor windows to prevent B and E. It's sad, as this is a beautiful building.

Hope Rashida has seen this and can get some action before it's too far gone.

Nevermind about that. If you want to hear something that will really get your blood boiling, the Mayor of Boston said something not nice about Detroit. The nerve.

I don't understand why DPS doesn't scrap these buildings first. If you're going to let someone else do it, you might as well do it yourself and get the money.

hey, thats a good idea, but why not make the students do it? have the metal shop class students ripping out pipes while some kids [[pretend) to learn math in the next room?

"If Fred has a 3/4-ton truck, and the price of copper is $2.30/lb, how much can Fred make by 5pm when the scale closes if x equals the amount he has to spend on acetylene?"

got to teach them early!
    Last edited by WaCoTS; September-06-13 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    hey, thats a good idea, but why not make the students do it? have the metal shop class students ripping out pipes while some kids [[pretend) to learn math in the next room?

"If Fred has a 3/4-ton truck, and the price of copper is $2.30/lb, how much can Fred make by 5pm when the scale closes if x equals the amount he has to spend on acetylene?"

got to teach them early!
    It could be one of those career training programs. Learn a work skill.

I drove by again yesterday. The school is now wide open, with broken windows, open doors and graffiti everywhere. Nice job, DPS.

Seriously, were you expecting different? Hoping, maybe.

Jalen Rose spent $60,000 installing "Perry Watson Court" in the gym. What happened to this court. Did he remove it and install it in his charter school?

The scrapping progresses very fast once they open up a building as I posted regarding Hutchins Jr. High on Woodrow Wilson. All the windows and frames [[with their iron weights) have now been removed [[since last photos). It all happened about four weeks -- in the dead of winter!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-14 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    Jalen Rose spent $60,000 installing "Perry Watson Court" in the gym. What happened to this court. Did he remove it and install it in his charter school?
    My last time in the building was the last day of auction pickup...the gym was intact and in perfect condition, rims and all. I was surprised, given the state of the rest of the buildings.

Loved seeing the old shooting range in the basement. ROTC was a bit more honest with weapons in school back then.

It was a shame what they were leaving behind, even then. The chem lab had tonnage of beakers and tubes, there were interesting things all around. The electronics lab had some cool history in it, too.

If that building could talk, it'd be screaming right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The scrapping progresses very fast once they open up a building as I posted regarding Hutchins Jr. High on Woodrow Wilson. All the windows and frames [[with their iron weights) have now been removed [[since last photos). It all happened about four weeks -- in the dead of winter!
    Always remember this when folks say the poor are lazy bums...I say the work ethic has never left us, just the honest work!

Why isn't DPS being more aggressive with selling/redeveloping the vacant properties? What organization/developer is going to want to buy these buildings/grounds when they've been devastated inside? What does it do to the morale of a community when their area "schools" are largely derelict hulks? This is unconscionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Why isn't DPS being more aggressive with selling/redeveloping the vacant properties?
    Because the corrupt and stupid administrators of DPS are still getting paid regardless.

I guess you could go to a School Board meeting and ask Reverend David Murray.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjl5cHneyw