Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default It's Past Time For Benny To Step Up His Game !

Over the past few days Duggan has come out with his 10 point plan and some of the ideas are workable others most likely need more vetting. It sounds like Duggan is doing these house parties [[over 200 according to his people) and he is hearing from the people and he is responding. I won't go over all the points but one I wanted to focus on is that he will start an auto insurance company to compete with the other national brands. Surprisingly the charter gives someone the permission to do such a thing. And he stated if that goes well he will look into establishing a property insurance company. If he can do that one thing the financial burden that would be lifted from Detroit residents would be life altering other ideas include - seize abandoned homes and drug houses through the nuisance abatement programs he started as Wayne County Prosecutor a decade ago.- Create incentives to persuade residents of sparsely populated neighborhoods to move to more stable areas. One incentive: -Offering residents three times the value of their homes to move.
    - Rebuild neighborhood business districts, partially through the seizure of abandoned storefronts, which would be turned over to entrepreneurs for $1.
    - Streamline the demolition process, which now included 36 steps and takes three to four years, Duggan said. He added: the city has torn down 25,000 buildings in the past 30 years but the problem has gotten worse.
    - Create tougher code enforcement. Lansing has more code enforcement officers than Detroit, he said.
    - Require banks to participate in neighborhood redevelopment.
    - Clean up vacant lots.
    - Reform the Detroit Land Bank so that vacant land can be reused. The biggest part of the plan is to decentralize the Department of Neighborhoods into seven districts to match the council districts. So far what Benny has given us is the one square mile plan and a bunch of coded dog whistles "us versus them talk". What I don't understand is all Benny needs to do is go to the Detroit Future City website and there are plans that need implementation that would make the city a better place.

I don't think BN has any game

I'm worried that this will end up like having a second grader against a high school senior in a debate. I really think Benny lacks the political finesse to manuever around his rough spots, where as Duggan is definitely all sorts of politician. Regardless, both are politicians and I am just waiting to see which ideas/promises the candidate who wins comes through with.

Not just in a debate! Duggan talks ideas that developed from a serious study of urban policy, as the original poster and others have noted.

Benny's Plan: A cop in every square mile. Benny explained recently:

He detailed a plan he calls the “One Square Mile Initiative,” which would place one Detroit police officer in each one of the city's 138 square miles of land. That officer would be responsible for being the first response to any crime in that square mile, in addition to making sure houses are maintained, graffiti is removed and lawns are mowed.

Is this amateur or what? This seems to imply that every cop will work his/her mile every day. There are three shifts, so three cops working that one mile. Will they cars? What if a triple murder in progress comes in OUTSIDE that mile - can the copper leave to make that run? What if in the meantime, a domestic violence ensues and the victim starts trying to find HER cop. What if she does find him? Is he supposed to go into a dangerous sitaution alone?

I think its crazy. I understand that the Fanny Lou Hamer Club thinks its great. This is what results when you have a populous that can't think critically.

It's nonsense. What cities have tried this? What is the result? What academics have endorsed this?

Or is this a late night lightbulb that is supposed to fill the policy vacuum that his campaign is experiencing?

Reminds me of the last amateur idea they had. Remember the "Power of Two?"
    Last edited by SWMAP; September-05-13 at 12:34 PM.

Napolean is going to play the race card and the "not one of us" card. That's really all he has.

Napolean is at the height of his game now. Scary, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Not just in a debate! Duggan talks ideas that developed from a serious study of urban policy, as the original poster and others have noted.

He detailed a plan he calls the “One Square Mile Initiative,” which would place one Detroit police officer in each one of the city's 138 square miles of land. That officer would be responsible for being the first response to any crime in that square mile, in addition to making sure houses are maintained, graffiti is removed and lawns are mowed.

Is this amateur or what? This seems to imply that every cop will work his/her mile every day. There are three shifts, so three cops working that one mile. Will they cars? What if a triple murder in progress comes in OUTSIDE that mile - can the copper leave to make that run? What if in the meantime, a domestic violence ensues and the victim starts trying to find HER cop. What if she does find him? Is he supposed to go into a dangerous sitaution alone?

I think its crazy. I understand that the Fanny Lou Hamer Club thinks its great. This is what results when you have a populous that can't think critically.

It's nonsense. What cities have tried this? What is the result? What academics have endorsed this?

Or is this a late night lightbulb that is supposed to fill the policy vacuum that his campaign is experiencing?

Reminds me of the last amateur idea they had. Remember the "Power of Two?"
    Benny said in his website that his one square mile plan was proven to get a 50% reduction in crime. He hasn't stated where this was done before,and did it really reduce crime by 50%, and the answers to some of the concerns you presented. I did an internet search and really couldn't come up with anything that would help explain what he wants to do and its effectiveness. It falls under community policing buts that's about all I could come up with.

just saw yesterday where an officer pulled over a car and ended up having 3 more show up! WOW! great use of resources. probably end of shift and need a easy report to fill out!

I gotta say, you look at Benny's website and he has a ton of endorsements from suburban labor guys and pastors.

What the hell does it take to be one of these pastors? Do they even need to go to school or anything like the Catholics and the Mainline Prods or do they just slap on a seersucker suit, a shiteating grin, and start pounding a Bible and endorsing candidates? What a bunch of rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I gotta say, you look at Benny's website and he has a ton of endorsements from suburban labor guys and pastors.

What the hell does it take to be one of these pastors? Do they even need to go to school or anything like the Catholics and the Mainline Prods or do they just slap on a seersucker suit, a shiteating grin, and start pounding a Bible and endorsing candidates? What a bunch of rubbish.
    You know Benny comes from the CAY school of campaigning.. get all the preachers you can find [[jack-leg and otherwise), get all the union leaders you can find, so they can stand together and rail against the state/suburbs/federal government[[before Obama)/insert favorite bogeyman here. That worked well 40 years ago. That kind of campaigning doesn't serve us well in 2013. Benny should learn from President Obama who ran two of the most amazing campaigns in modern political history. Instead we get more of the same warmed over status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

Is this amateur or what? This seems to imply that every cop will work his/her mile every day. There are three shifts, so three cops working that one mile.
    Does this include any square miles that are currently abandoned/urban prairie or have just a few residents? How can you balance out a workload when you have one cop covering a few people in a mostly deserted square mile and another cop covering a whole bunch of people in well populated square mile?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Does this include any square miles that are currently abandoned/urban prairie or have just a few residents? How can you balance out a workload when you have one cop covering a few people in a mostly deserted square mile and another cop covering a whole bunch of people in well populated square mile?
    He didn't get into that much detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I call Lakeview and Kercheval. Nothing to do but hunt pheasants. What's this about I'm supposed to cut the grass though? Brilliant!